So, I spent the entire day cleaning up my turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo. She has been in storage for aprox 17 years and had lots of oxidation and mold and fungi and whatever else grows on things that remain motionless for a period of time.
I had decided to break the table down and start from scratch but once I realized I was no longer in my 30s and that my hands shake now, I decided to keep the tonearm in place as well as the cartridge and just really clean the heck out of it as well as Deoxit whatever would stand up to the stuff.
I took a bunch of pictures.
First thing to do is to place the turntable across two chairs so I can get underneath it also.
Secondly this type of job is not for the faint of heart nor is it good for a guy who is almost 20 years out of practice setting up turntables as you will see from the pictures below.
First off was scrubbing and polishing every delrin or acrylic piece. Second Deoxit part of the turntable like the motor spindle and a slew of other parts on top of the deck and underneath. Lubed up the bearing and shaft with 40W motor oil. Then I broke out the wooden q-tips and cleaned every nook and cranny of the tonearm.
I then decided to get bold. I removed the audio leads one at a time between the cartrige and tonearm. . .AGAIN NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. I tried Deoxit but couldn't control the spray and it was getting all over the tonearm and I had an emergency on my hands because the chemical was eeeking its way towards the cantilever and I needed to stop it before it ate away the suspension. At that point I decided to replace the leads with the friggin cartridge mounted . . . AGAIN NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, nor the shaky of hand . . . but I did it anyway very sucessfully I might add.
Next came full attention to the tonearm. I replaced the old damping fluid with new and made sure of the alignment. I was coming down the home stretch and could smell the vinyl spinning when . . . . HEARTBROKE just a little. I somehow managed to loose the VTA adjustment tool. Without this tool I cannot adjust the height of the tonearm and I must have decided years ago to raise the tonearm higher, probably because the stylus had no protector or plastic guard. So I could continue my cleanup but I was not going to be able to adjust the tonearm or the cartridge. . . NO MUSIC FROM THE TURNTABLE TODAY. . . I called and emailed my SME dealer and ordered the part.
Anyhow I won't allow that to get me down, I continued with the plan. I got under the table and cleaned the motor and electronics with Deoxit, alcohol and Windex. I then Deoxit the cable harness (looks like a din connector) and plug in the audio lead and leave a nice loop so as to dampen any vibrations running up the wires.
Next I used the Zerodust to clean the stylys. . . about 8 dips in the goo.
Cleaned up the dustcover and place sorbo gels that I acquired from a podiatrist and made four new stops for the dustcover to rest on. I have more if anyone is interested in doing the same.
Well that is it for now. I'm going to have to wait for the VTA adjustment tool before I can start the leveling process, tonearm and cartridge adjustments.
Despite the disappointment of not being able to play records today I HAD A BLAST.
_____________________TO BE CONTINUED______________________:)