Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default High sensitivity speakers

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some speakers for 2 channel that can be driven with 10-20 watts of tube power, or ~25 watts of solid state.

Size is not a concern... price is :) I'd like to only invest $100-$150 for the pair, so I'm looking something I can find used.

The only reason I'm not ponying up for some SDAs off the bat is because I am doing the whole "start small and go from there" route... Even if I bought a pair of high end speakers, I wouldn't be able to buy the amp, source, preamp, controls, ect to actually make it worthwhile.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

In my experience, it has always served me better to buy what I really wanted the first time.....
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

I've found that MOST speakers, anything in the 88-89db 1W/1M can be run on that sort of power.

Hell, Hoosier used to run his 1.2tl's on a NAD 3020 integrated.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Size is the problem with getting high efficiency. The bigger the driver and box, the more eff you can get. I'm thinking if you want something fairly eff I would suggest looking through the audio asylum in the high eff section and make yourself familiar with whats out there or what you can build given your price range. There are fostex drivers which are 97 or higher eff which can kick some butt and do it with quality in the right enclosure. That is enough eff to drive with the little sonic impact amp for $25 and you could end up with audiophile sound at the same time with a decent cd source.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Currently I have an old Pioneer integrated that does 25wpc.. I am also thinking about buying an integrated tube amp from this stereo repair shop around the corner. It's from a 40s RCA big console stereo. The owner cleaned it up really nice and only wants $50 for it. Does 15wpc.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD
    Hell, Hoosier used to run his 1.2tl's on a NAD 3020 integrated.

BDT
    yes I did,

in a pinch, I even drove a pair of Carver Amazings Plats with an Adcom 535
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It depends on how loud you like your music and how big is your rooom... Some speakers don't need much wattage for a decent volume but really demand power when trying to get higher SPL. I'd watch Ebay and buy a name brand like JBL. This way you can get your money back when you want to up grade. Ebay has a hugh selection. Just watch the shipping charge and the sellers feedback. I've also heard several B & O speakers that sound great. Some of these old speakers still compete with the new stuff. This is a way to work your way up the sound ladder and have some and learn. Even the guys with the finest system money can buy have a second system to play with. Audiophiles are never satisfied. Speaker wires, interconnects, cd mats, 20 amp dedicated breaker circuit, bass traps, voltage regulators, and on & on...... You can have more fun on the cheap with used gear and get a fine sounding system... Enjoy the trip.......

Both Omega and Zu make high eff. speakers, but they ain't cheap.

Pick up a pair of Fostex FE166E drivers from madisound:
    http://www.madisound.com
    They're not the best in a bass reflex box, but it's a good starting point for high eff. speakers... Plans here:
    http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/FE166E.pdf

plus tons more info if you google it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Hey Unc, Geez now you got me hooked. I got to check these out. Looks like a great project to go with my tube gear. Thanks for the info.......

Yep, they're cheap, fun and sound pretty damn good. Plus there's a huge community of DIYers out there... give 'em a shot.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Any Bozak would fit that bill. The Bozak Symphonies had 2 12" woofers, a 6" mid and 8 tweeters per channel, an sounded wonderful on 8 watts of power from the little Radii I had (and Fireman32 currently uses(, as well as 10 or so a channel from a Sophia electric baby amp.

there are smaller bozaks, but not much smaller.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Thread Information