Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wattage

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question wattage

what is the maximum wattage that i can supply to my MM455's and MM400's?? i'm very new to the whole car audio scene, so basic lingo would be appriciated. what is the difference between RMS and maximum?? thanks

Polk Customer Service

I would suggest using amplifiers that have a power rating of 100 to 200 Watts per channel. This will be plenty of power for these speakers and if you are using them with a high pass filter engaged, it will be pretty hard to drive the amp into clipping.
    The RMS rating refer to the continuous power that the speakers can handle without being damaged. The maximum refers to peak amount of power that the speaker can handle for only a few short seconds with out sustaining any damage to the voice coils or crossover components.

Thanks,
    Kim

i have the momo component set in the back (MM455 and MM400) using a crossover, and another component set in the front, also using a crossover. the amplifier i have purchased delivers 250 per channel (4 ch). therefore it will be around 125 a speaker, right? this is adequate?

Thread Information