Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Default Any reason NOT to buy a new TV/display right now?

I sold my old pickup truck today and have alittle money in my pocket and I have been wanting to upgrade my display for a while but I don't want to get shafted like I did the last time, I paid $3000 for a TV with DVI and a month later the HDMI versions came out, so I want something with HDMI and 1080p, I'm pretty set on one of the SXRD models from Sony, but I would like to hear all your thoughts and suggestions. Is there anything coming out in the near future that I should wait for? your thougts please.
    Last edited by millerman 3732; 02-12-2007 at 07:37 PM.
    Casey

GV#27

I think as long as you have 1080p capabilities you should be set for many years.I don't think there is anything better planned for the near future.Anyway 1080p is pretty damn good.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by millerman 3732
    but I don't want to get shafted like I did the last time, I paid $3000 for a TV with DVI and a month later the HDMI versions came out.
    Interesting definition of getting shafted. I think you will always feel shafted with todays electronics. The best you can do is make a good judgement call today and be happy with what you get even though next month you will see something newer and better out there. I'm not in the market right now but given the present prices/performance I think it is a great time to buy.
    Good luck!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (14)

There is no good reason not to buy a new tv/display. Buy what you can afford and don't worry about 1080p. If a set you like is only 768p then that will do just fine.
    There is only one display on the market that stand behond al others and thats Pioneer Elite plasmas. They are the best hands down. If you can afford one, get one. They have a 50 inch 1080p set and it's incredible. Nothing right now touches it no no way not today not nowhere.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

You dont have enough money right now ? is that a reason?
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I can think of a couple reasons to hold out...

Flat panel televisions could drop another 40 to 60% within 6-12 months. Circuit City just announced a restructuring and closing down of some 72 "Source's By Circuit City" in Canada. Current margins and forecasts have caused them to restructure.

HDMI 1.3 is right around the corner and with it television's will be able to render 48 bits of color at 1080p resolution at a much higher hz rate. Resolution's of television's will be over 1080p by this time next year (scalers within the set's will upconvert).

Wallmart has plans to have a wide array of Flatpanel televisions offered from brand name company's. This will further push prices down in North America and create a pricing war untill the dust has settled. Some insiders feel a few both retailers and vendors will either shift their focus or entirely pull out of Flat panel. Pioneer has already been cited as one of the company's that can't compete.

While it is unlikely the general public cares about or wants to pursue a new format the ego's in Japan seem ready to battle it out and continue selling players as lost leaders. It is very likely general people will eventually own Blu Ray or HD DVD simply because it's as cheap as normal DVD. 1080p is something you might want to consider long and hard.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yeah, 120hz LCD's, LED backlight LCD, OLED, 1080p plasmas, (possibly) SED are right around the corner. It depends how soon you want a TV, and how much you want to spend.

I must say though, the Sony SXRD's look very nice. As long as you don't mind the bulk and having to replace lamps every so often, it's a winner.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)

Member Sales Rating: (39)

Nice info and explanation, Lush.

TV technology is moving amazingly fast. For reference, I bought a $3.5K 42" Samsung Plasma onsale for $2700 (open box, on sale, and extra 10% off). Thought I got a great deal. Now, 18 months later, it's a little outdated, and I couldn't sell it for half of the price I bought it.

But, what are you going to do. You can't sit on the sideline forever, so when you have some money and really want a tv (like millerman) do some research, read some reviews, and try to get the best TV you can afford for the best price you can find.

One thing seems like it will keep us grounded. . . source material. 1080i TVs seemed to be out for quite some time before there was much HDTV broadcasts available, and HD DVD/BRs were way behind.

Now, there are plenty of 1080p TVs, but not much material for that. I think the source lag will keep consumers for creating the demand for newer resolution TVs each and every year.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Most of the new technologies have already been covered, but add to the list LED and Laser DLPs, and Pioneer's new "SED Killer" Plasma which is said to be stunning.

The price of no-name LCDs is dropping while the quality is increasing.

With the march of time we see higher resolutions, these days it seems everything is 1080p. I remember reading about a LCD coming out (Sharp?) which was supposed to be roughly 4000x2000, it was supposed to be hitting the beginning of next year. Of course then other brands will have to compete and in a few years 1080p will be what 720p is today. Oh well I'm still happy with my 1080i 34XBR, nothing can touch this picture.

As for buying a new tv now, I would buy a SXRD. I can say that with confidence because our family got one a couple months back. We still don't have HD hooked up to it, but with regular cable it actually looks better then our 27in Panasonic did, and with dvd via a Oppo 981 its a stunner.

Jared

Smart money says just wait until January of 2008 before making a move. Lots of things will shake out by then including the introduction of new technologies, a clear direction in the HD format war, and continued drop in prices for what we think is the latest now (1080p etc.).

Of course, that money burning a hole in your pocket will probably be long ago spent on someting else...;)

If you wait until X date for technologies 1,2,and 3, at prices $A,$B,and $C...

you'll be told to wait until X+1 date for technologies 1+R, 2+Q, and 3+T, at prices $A-20%, $B-15%, and $C-25%.

And so on and so on. If you can wait, it won't hurt. But don't spend your whole life waiting because the technology will continually get better and cheaper and you will die eventually :p

I agree with the post above me. No matter when you look to buy a television you will always be asking this question. It never ends.

Granted I do think that finally computer technology has slowed. ie. computer last longer than what they did before.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Well, what you really want is a level of synergy between standards, hardware, and software. That means -- standards --> 1080i/p and hdmi 1.3 -- hardware --> HDTVs, AVPs, HD players and gaming systems at the standard -- software --> broadcast, HD disks, and gaming media in the standard

All of this seems to be coming together at just the right time for the next Christmas retail season. I said January, 'cause that's when all the sales will be...:D
    Last edited by cheddar; 02-13-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar
    Well, what you really want is a level of synergy between standards, hardware, and software. That means -- standards --> 1080i/p and hdmi 1.3 -- hardware --> HDTVs, AVPs, HD players and gaming systems at the standard -- software --> broadcast, HD disks, and gaming media in the standard

All of this seems to be coming together at just the right time for the next Christmas retail season. I said January, 'cause that's when all the sales will be...:D
    You're crazy if you don't think there will be new standards/technology by Christmas. You can create a "synergy" with items on the market already and 90% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and what comes out 3 years from now. Drawing a line in the sand with what's available at Christmas isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't mean doing it now is a bad idea either.

Thanks for all the input guys, I guess you could say I want to upgrade but I'm really not in that big of a hurry, the TV I have now is still a good one but like I posted earlier I would like to have some of the newer features. If I can sell the one that I have now I will go ahead and pick something up if not I may hold off ALITTLE while ;) and see what comes out.
    Casey

Then waiting wouldn't be too hard for you. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Glad to see some people are grounded around here. There will always be something newer and better around the corner, and the TV you buy now will ALWAYS be significantly cheaper in 6 months. If you want and can afford it, buy it now; if you don't care, wait. But just know that no matter how long you wait, you will be stuck with almost the exact circumstances you're stuck with now.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomOG
    You're crazy if you don't think there will be new standards/technology by Christmas. You can create a "synergy" with items on the market already and 90% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and what comes out 3 years from now. Drawing a line in the sand with what's available at Christmas isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't mean doing it now is a bad idea either.
    Actually, you're crazy if you think that there will be a higher defining broadcast standard than 1080i/p by Christmas. It took the US the better part of the 90s and then some to come up with a 720p 1080i broadcast standard and even that was a compromise. And we haven't even gone all digital yet.

There is a reason that 480p became the standard for dvds, the highest broadcast standard at that time was 480i. Since all digital equipment is basically progressive, interlaced will always be replaced by progressive players and displays at some point. Upconverting players did not become commonplace until the new hdtvs came out and they didn't come out until the new broadcast standard was released.

Talk all you want about proprietary formats with hdtvs reaching some great hd x/y pixel count and all the upconverting players that will be produced, but the reality is that from here on out 1080p sources will drive the market advances. That's what studios will be aiming to shoot content in. That's what electronics manufacturers will aim to optimize equipment for.

Everything else like lazer based displays, higher color depth, etc. will only be geared toward incremental advances on this standard just like 480p was for so long. So yeah, I stand by Christmas as an important synergistic leveling off for HD standards and by extension hardware and software as well. There will always be advances, but next Christmas will be a pretty big level to reach.

I was talking more about your "Holy Grail" HDMI 1.3 standard than resolution.

Heck, I imagine within the next couple of years HDMI will be going away in favor of a new connection standard.

HDMI 1.3 is not a holy grail, it just gives you a nice minimum set of audio codecs to make AVPs for. True HD and DTS-MA being like DD and DTS are with DVDs today. Again, an important leveling off point and level to reach, and again only important if you take the need for synergy between the audio standard, hardware decoders, and software produced into account. I stand by HDMI 1.3 as an important level to reach that will have significantly less buyers remorse than if you missed out on the standard completely.
    Last edited by cheddar; 02-13-2007 at 05:55 PM.

I admire your ability to predict the future. Got some lottery numbers for me?

It's not reading tea leaves, only a realization that it's pretty much what happened with DVD. At this point, I don't see any compelling reason that market forces are much different with HD formats. Just a lot more pathways to HD content. But all that content has to be produced to some standard. And for the forseeable future, that's 1080p and True HD, DTS-MA as the defining synergistic quality format.

Phantom,

I don't think anybody is predicting the future but instead reading forecasts that have been within the industry the past 18 months. It is a fact that Dolby Labs has spent a large amount of money on a new surround format. DTS has done likewise with DTS HD Master Audio and considerable time has been spent in addressing the consumers needs and interests. If you don't think this is the case then I encourage you to visit their website.

http://www.dtsonline.com/dts-hd/

While DTS HD won't be around forever it isn't unwise to consider that it along with HDMI 1.3 and 1080p is the "next generation" replacing the older generation of interlaced signals, digital optical/coaxial and DD/DTS which lasted some 10 years. There will of course be upgrades but this is the platform which has been layed out for the next 5-10 years.

Lastly, while prices have dropped, and always drop until the latest XYZ company releases the next greatest technology to change the industry forever, it is important to note one thing. The entire audio video business structure will change within the next two years as flat panel continues to penetrate the market and 2007 will be the most signifcant year in regards to deep discounting within this market segment. You don't have to follow audio/video web forums to understand this, simply visit cnn.com or wall street journal online. I will repeat this, Wallmart will change everything...from a supplier standpoint to the retail standpoint to the end user.

Picked up a 60'' SXRD last night, I was in town and couldn't resist :D . All I can say is WOW, better than my old set in every way, shape, and form. I'll have to check it out for another day or two and post back.
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by millerman 3732
    Picked up a 60'' SXRD last night, I was in town and couldn't resist :D . All I can say is WOW, better than my old set in every way, shape, and form. I'll have to check it out for another day or two and post back.
    Congrats. If I was buying a TV right now the SXRD would be right at or near the top of my list. Enjoy your new tv :D

I would say wait at least 5-6 months. prices will go down on existing and the new crop wil be out. the ones out now you'll be able to buy on the net for 20-40% less. the SXRD is an awesome thought good work. its my FAV tv right now

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Here's my $.02 as I am a rep for various Home A/V companies. "Waiting till later to buy something because technology is going to change" is inevitable. It's going to change sooner than you think. Something new is always going to come out that's better than last years, last months, last weeks TOTL unit. Just find something you like and buy it. I rep Panasonic and I STILL have a rear projection from 3 years ago. It looks fine to me for the HD stuff I watch and I could care less about having a new TV every few years just because mine is old. When it breaks, I'll get another one. Nothing is really filmed in 1080p on regular TV anyway so who cares about that. It's so minimal to nothing that it's just a "selling tool". Plus, from certain distances, you can't tell the difference between 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc, anyway.

But you gotta do what works best for you. If it's time for a new one, by all means get one! It keeps the market turning and keeps my paycheck coming in! lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

You live once, buy on demand. If you see it/like it, do the homework on the purchase, then go for it. No need to sit on the fence all the time. Good purchase millerman, now enjoy that bad boy.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Thread Information