Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Pick my new CDP

Your choices are:

1) Jolida JD100A w/ level 1 mods -$550
    2) Shanling CD-T100A -$730
    3) Meridian 508.24 -$1300

Thats pretty much it.

Go!
    Last edited by Shizelbs; 02-16-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Numero uno !!

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Man tough chioce. I'm saving to get the Jolida but would love to have the Shanling but i'll choose number 1.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I like the Shanling..

Member Sales Rating: (21)

All three, you have ability, only heard the Jolida so can't say.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I've heard the Jolida and a Meridian (588). I would buy the Shanling CD-T100A just because it looks cool.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Quote Originally Posted by reeltrouble1
    All three, you have ability, only heard the Jolida so can't say.

RT1
    Well, not really. I have the capability of buying two of the three right now. One of them is a bit much to have at the same time as the others for demo comparisons.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

If it were me I'd go for a Jolida with Stage I or Stage II mods from H.R.A.M.

The Jolida I am looking at has the mods done by partsconnexion (?) for Underwood HiFi.

Alright, now time to reveal the prices. Now factor that in.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    If it were me I'd go for a Jolida with Stage I or Stage II mods from H.R.A.M.
    Just to make things tougher, I put my stock Bada up against a modded Jolida at HRAM and the owner and I agreed there was no discernable difference between the two players. My friend has the Shanling and a Bada. A modded Bada will easily smoke at least two of your choices for a lot less money.

BTW -- the HRAM level 1 mods are a big rip-off. Likewise for Underwood Hifi.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Early... what that with the stock tubes in the Bada, as well?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000
    Early... what that with the stock tubes in the Bada, as well?
    Yep. That was a couple of years ago. Once the tube was rolled, the sound improved significantly.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Well, I bought the Shanling before I posted this. I hope to have it in a week. But since then these other two options have appeared, and it would be prime time to do a shootout since I am bringing in something new either way.

The Shanling looks too good to pass on and the price was right, so I had to. The Meridian seems to be a very good price too, its ugly as hell, but its a bit of a price leap from what I was hoping to spend.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I'm sure you won't be second guessing yourself anyway. Nice purchase! You got the best looking one and I can't believe the other 2 could surpass the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    BTW -- the HRAM level 1 mods are a big rip-off. Likewise for Underwood Hifi.
    There are 3 "levels" of mods available from H.R.A.M. for the J100:
    1. Mini mod
    2. Stage I
    3. Stage II
    Just to be clear which one / ones are rip offs & why?

Not trying to debate you - just looking for info. Sorry for the de-rail :o

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952
    I'm sure you won't be second guessing yourself anyway. Nice purchase! You got the best looking one and I can't believe the other 2 could surpass the sound.
    I sure can, especially that Meridian. Its an effing tank man.

I would hope that between the three, whatever I end up with will sound clearly better than the CEC I have been using.

Nice grab. The Shanling is a great CDP. Freakin' gorgeous, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    There are 3 "levels" of mods available from H.R.A.M. for the J100:
    1. Mini mod
    2. Stage I
    3. Stage II
    Just to be clear which one / ones are rip offs & why?

Not trying to debate you - just looking for info. Sorry for the de-rail :o
    OK, let's go through it line by line:

Change out the dull sounding stock Chinese tubes for ElectroHarmonix 12AX7A's of Russia. This greatly opens the top end and increases clarity and detail; directly relating to depth of image.

Anyone can do that themselves.

Replace a pair of the inexpensive stamped metal Gold RCA outputs with much higher build quality Rhodium over Silver plate Cardas Audio jacks for the ultimate in signal transfer. These are also built much more robust for a longer service life.

Questionable whether this has any sonic benefit at all.

Rewire internally with teflon-insulated 99.999% pure solid core silver-covered copper wire. This replaces the very thin, tinned, stranded copper wire that is in the stock unit.

This is OK.

Rewire the set of gold plated stock output jacks (there are dual outputs on this player) with solid core Gold/Silver/Copper alloy output wire. This replaces the very thin, tinned, stranded wire that is in the stock unit, and gives this player 2 separate sonic signatures making it "tunable" for different sounding audio systems. The Gold side will have more of a warm mellow presentation, while the Silver side will have an open, airy, detailed presentation.

Same.

Replace the 4 diodes in the power supply with Fairchild Stealth ultrafast soft recovery diodes.

This is OK. Cost for 4 diodes is negligible.

Damp the inside of the chassis, transformers, and transport with 9 StarrDamp CS damping sheets. This adds mass to the thin sheet metal used in the cover, and internal walls. It unlocks low level detail lost to resonation and vibration that reach the transport mechanism and ultimately the laser, which cause degradation of the signal. The Copper layer makes our damping material superior to all others since it acts as an RFI shield in addition to damping.

Anyone can DIY using Dynamat or another dampening material.

4 KTS Super ISO-Damp Discs for use under the player. This gives you the ultimate in chassis isolation, and vibration absorption.

Questionable whether this tweak makes a sonic difference.

IMO, the upgrade with the biggest benefit to improving the sound is changing the tubes. Anyone can do that. So for what you're paying for the lower level mods, you may as well keep most of your money and buy some tubes and roll them yourself. HRAM modded my CDP a couple of years ago, so I have some experience with them. They're OK, but most of their mods are largely a waste of money.

The next major sonic benefit would be the caps. I believe that once you settle on a set of tubes you like and change out the caps, you'll have 95% of the sonic benefit of the highest level of mods offered. You'll also save yourself some money by purchasing the parets yourself and having a tech install them (or install them yourself if you can).

Hope this helps.

Okay, well, thanks for the lesson on Jolida mods. Mods aside, is the Jolida worth checking out at all and comparing to the Shanling?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs
    Okay, well, thanks for the lesson on Jolida mods. Mods aside, is the Jolida worth checking out at all and comparing to the Shanling?
    I heard the Shanling at an audio dealer in less than ideal conditions (which is probably why it didn't float my boat). I thought it looked very

A little more than a year later I purchased a stock Jolida J100. Out of the box it sounded like total ****e. I let her burn in for 50 hours, swapped the tubes with some Ei elite gp's, and swapped out the stock power cord with a Magic Power Cable from Signal Cable. BIG improvement over stock.

I was looking to go with a clock + cap(s) upgrade (like F1's AA Top Fuel Dragster mods) when I stumbled accross H.R.A.M. and H.R.A.M. seems to have the best bang-for-your-buck w/ their Stage I & Stage II mods.

YMMV & I could be completely wrong here (If so let me know).
    Last edited by halo; 02-16-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs
    Mods aside, is the Jolida worth checking out at all and comparing to the Shanling?
    Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW -- I don't know how the hell you grabbed the Shanling for the price you quoted. You buy it from a friend? It's at least $300 less than the typical sales price.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW -- I don't know how the hell you grabbed the Shanling for the price you quoted. You buy it from a friend? It's at least $300 less than the typical sales price.
    Nope, just got it off another forum. The guy posted it as an "Interest Check" without a price, so it didn't get a whole lot of attention. Anyways, its my gain and maybe I'll use the money it should have cost to buy some new cables.

Yeah, I just checked my messaging history. I've been in talks with this guy on and off again since December. Sometimes patience pays off. Rarely, but sometimes it does.

Shanling is arriving Thursday

Member Sales Rating: (20)

congrats !

Show us some Pic`s when ya get it...!

I also am very interested in your opinion of the player...

I know that Sid is very happy with his, I hope your as happy with yours...
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself)
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

Thread Information