Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frustrated

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Angry Frustrated

My apologies for spamming the boards this evening fellas. I just have to get this one off my chest, it has been bugging me for quite some time.

Awhile ago, I went into a store to demo the LSi's. Instead, I end up talking with the manager about business and general audio. It was a good time, I never did get to really hear the LSis long enough to consider it an even demo, more like an idea. Before I left I was asked to hand in a resume...one week later, it was done.

The owner of the store was there, I sat down, talked with him...yadda yadda... to get right to the point, I made a suggestion to power his new LSi line with something better then your typical reciever you see at CC. I explained that they required power, and lots of it... not to mention a low ohm load.

He then proceeded to let out a chuckle and with a smirk said "well, see your new, you dont understand how it works". Basically saying that people generally dont want to spend that much money for equipment. And anything like that is over-kill regardless. Then went on to say "you dont need something like 2000's *he was refering to the speakers I owned* for a 12x8 room. Interesting to note: his seperates were Russorround.

This business is new, and are just picking up after some financial woes. They have been fortunate enough to recieve a loan and quite a bit of backing money, and are now locating to an area to where you either are loaded with cash, or have nothing. No in-betweens....period.

My arguement to him was that
    a) Given the future location of your business, most individuals who visit your shop will be those eager to lay down money on a system. You wont find a large market with "customers" who generate bearly enough income to pay the bills and keep food on the table.

b) Your already setting a foundation and limitation for other peoples interests/wants/needs. If someone is stupid enough and obsessed enough such as myself, to purchase high-end equipment for a small room..then so be it. Its a sale, its more profit. (depending of course on the down-sale)

c) Some individuals never had the chance to demo gear beyond that of what they see in bestbuy or circuit city. Most of the local customers are well into their 50's or even older. Show them the products you carry that can be found in retail stores.... and then go on and show them 2 channel with seperates. Then show off the guns with the 5 channel seperates. The quality and sheer sound is enough for someone with cash, to give into that "impulse buy". Especially in context to the LSi line. Even if the person is not interested, let them hear it anyways. Let that sound stay in their mind.

I was basically told that the people today are not interested in systems which knock your socks off, but want back-round noise. That earlier you had one system which you had to crank in order to enjoy sound over the entire home.

Though I understand this completely, one has to bear in mind they are the only "high end" *and I use this term very loosely* shop within a 100 square mile radius in these parts.

Needless to say I left rather pissed essentially being told I didnt know what the hell I was doing and talking about. Did I mention that was my interview as well? LOL Hmmm wonder if I got the job. haha

My apologies, I just had to get this off. Maybe Im wrong and really am not using common sense here. If so, would someone please enlighten me.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sounds to me that position or operation would drive you Bonkers!

Bag IT Friend!

Spammings cool! I'm drunk and the wife and baby are in bed so what the hell anyway.

HBombed again over here!
    ***WAREMTAE***

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The guys is a ass. He has the perfect customer base to sell high-end/high dollar equipment to. If someone wants background noise they buy Bose. People with money that are interested in high-end systems sit in the same room when listening! Perhaps his financial woes are do to the fact that he isn't giving the people what they want. Yes, show them some "budget" stuff, then knock their socks off. I'm in the Washington, D.C. area and have 7 or 8 high-end stores that are doing very well against places like BB and CC. You are right and he is wrong, hell give'em a year tops then offer to buy him out.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (14)

OK,
    I read that post and......well let me fill you in on the real market out there.
    1st of all I have worked for 2 different companies.....Tweeter and Soundex.I now work back at Tweeter for my reasons.But let me go into somethings about the audio and video world.

OK .......2000's in a 12x8 room is overkill.But that is an opnion not fact.But selling good speakers with **** receivers is a crime.

I have posted countless posts about my Theory on mating/matching.Now if that store had any Intelligence,they would sell there seperates with there best speakers and trinkle down in speakers and recievers respectively.

Most people are looking for the excitement of Home Theater.And would like to have music playing all threw there house.Home Automation is still a thing of the rich,and networking is growing more and more with the birth of Dsl and cable modems/sat highspeed.Lighting control is an added benifit that some people get into and the rich is using most of the time.

Ok back to I will say more on the average level.I customer will come into a given audio/video store looking for a Home Theater.90% of them want small and out of the way, but want the biggest Screen they can stuff into there room.Most people don't see a need for high end audio.Video is a completley different story.This is why Bose sells so well.Micro systems do well,Bookshelf type speakers sell,then at the end of the road, the lonely floor stand and high current amps hold a smaller place.

So there an Idea on whats really going on out in the really real world.There are your Audiophile who wants Krell and Dynaudio 2 channel or Theater,At Soundex we sold alot of high end products some due to the fact that the clients where wealthy and could afford to get into them.You would be so suprised how much 98% of them have no Idea what they bought.Just know thats what the neibhor has and now Mr Customer wants the same thing.
    This is such a big topic I really don't know where to go with it without typing for a week.

So I will leave you with a couple of thoughts.......
    The ******* at the store you went to is as I put it.When a customer comes in to hear a well made speaker pair,makes a comment about better amps......and replies like that is ..well make your own comments...I have plenty.I would have ripped his face off his head.And I would have Shamed him all over his store.I have dealt with people like him in my travels and I have made everysingle one of them feel stupid.Piss me off!!!!

There is a mating game that all audio/video stores like to attempt on doing.Mating the right gear with the right speaker for the best sound in order to make a lasting impression on people coming in.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

AtcVenom,

You should've just agreed with the guy, get the job and take advantage of the employee discount on the Lsi's !!! That's what you originally came for wasn't it?

You still might get the job for taking a stand point and he may see that as a positive. Good luck!

Stronzo

Begbie, I ellaborated much more here then I did with that guy. I could tell by the look on his face that he was content with the direction he was heading. Next time I visit, I will be sure to go into greater deph, even if it may fall on deaf ears.

As for the job, well not many places will hire me. You see, Im new to this audio jazz.... I know very little, and though I believe I can carry the common sense and enthusiasm to sell a product, I have nothing to back that *in the employers eyes*.

As for the LSi's, they are actually charging a decent price.
    LSi15s - $799.00 each
    LSi-9s - $449.00 each

If you are not within the local area, they will ship them from Polk *thats what I was told*.

warranties, etc....apply

Dan,

Excellent points all the way around. Afraid I cannot add much to what you have expressed thus far. As previously stated, I will attempt to "get through" to them one more time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Re: Frustrated

Originally posted by ATCVenom

I was basically told that the people today are not interested in systems which knock your socks off, but want back-round noise. That earlier you had one system which you had to crank in order to enjoy sound over the entire home.
    Seems like your boss dont know his butt from a rats...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

Stronzo

heh. In all fairness... he may be rather shallow IMHO in regards to the marketing of audio products, but he was curtious enough.

Oh yes, he aint my boss. haha I honestly dont foresee employment with them anytime soon.

Thread Information