Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Thumbs up Stanley Clarke - Live

We caught Stanley, backed by Patrice Ruchsen and Lenny White, at our favorite bistro live last night. Three words: W O W!!!

Having the opportunity to sit less than 10 feet from a performance by someone with his kind of passion and talent is transcendental. Ms. Ruchsen has the best left hand of any jazz pianist I've ever heard live. And Lenny, what can you say? He's played with the best because he is the best.
    Last edited by BlueMDPicker; 03-21-2007 at 06:33 AM.
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Wow!!!! less than 10 ft, huh?

Glad you enjoyed the show. Did Patrice sing, too?

BTW -- how did the live performance sound compared to your system? (you know, I just had to ask ya...)
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Old Polk

Yep, less than 10 feet from stage edge, dead center. I just snagged the same table for Albert Cummings in July!

Patrice did not sing. That would have been an extra treat.

They covered Thelonius Monk's 'I Mean You' (aka 'Stickball'), which I am very familiar with on my main 2CH system. I'd rate the system as 80% of "being there." Stanley has quite a bit better bass extension live. ;)
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Does Lenny White still wear the black, Zorro hat when he plays? Awesome look. I always liked him better than Cobham.

Old Polk

He's dropped the Zorro hat (LOL, I hadn't thought of that in years-thanks!) for a beret.

All of them had great stage presence and wit. As Lenny so aptly put it last night "what a concept in the age of YouTube and MP3s, three real people getting together to play music for other real people. Thanks for supporting live music!"
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Around '74-'75 he put out a solo album of space funk called Venusian Lady or something 70ish like that. I had it, along with the other drummer solo albums that pretty muched sucked from back then. Alphonse Mouzon, Norman Connors, Idris Muhammad, etc.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Back in those good old days of reckless love in the '70's:D , I was listening to these on my Gerrard table and Marantz receiver:

Carl

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Ahhhh Yes fellow fusion jazz band freaks of the 70's....They just don't jam like that anymore.

Stanley Clarke and Lenny were both part of the baddest (technically gifted) band ever.........Return to Forever

Matter of fact - all 4 would have to rank very close if not at the top for their instrument.

Stanley Clark, Bass - Chick Corea, Keys - Al DiMeola, Guitar - Lenny White, Drums

If you have never heard the album (excuse me)..cd...ROMAMTIC WARRIOR, do yourself a favor and check it out.

I only wish they could reproduce better to have the strong dynamic sound of todays well recorded CDs....guess you can't expect too much from digital remastering...

George - being an ex drummer, trying to figure out the best between, White, Cobham and Brown was always tough. They all kick ass live

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Very cool, now I gotta break out the old SC LPs.

Old Polk

Quote Originally Posted by jabrax
    Matter of fact - all 4 would have to rank very close if not at the top for their instrument.

Stanley Clark, Bass - Chick Corea, Keys - Al DiMeola, Guitar - Lenny White, Drums
    Agreed.

We saw DiMeola live, same venue, less than six months ago. After the opening song of the gig the other night, I leaned over and told Sandy "you've now heard the best living jazz guitarist, bassist, and drummer--and, arguably, one of the top five on the keys."
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Here is a treat....There is a live dvd floating around from the 70's when these guys were all peaking. Even have concerts when Bill Conners was the guitar player........Al D took the band to another level after he replaced Al D.....You kind find live video of dvd on youtube.....quality is horrible, but again expected from a 70's production.........Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant, best composition ever :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Funny, I just finished listening to School Days for the first time. I snagged a sealed LP last week and gave it a spin this morning. Excellent sounding LP with some very innovative music.

Thread Information