Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default do different rca connectors make difference in sound?

let me pose a question. if you have five identical lengths of the same cable but terminate them with different connectors, say generic good quality rca's, vampire, cardas, wbt, and bullet plugs, will there be a noticable improvement(difference) in sound to justify the various levels of increase in price?
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I've used bullet plugs and WBT's with Kimber Hero interconnects and the bullet plugs were better. I had to listen very critically to discern the differences, though.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

i just ran across this:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/c...onnectors.html
    any thoughts?
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

I wouldn't fret over it. Some might be better than others (subjective) but It's not a big concern in my book. As long as the connection is tight & doesn't come loose, to me that's good enough.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    i just ran across this:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/c...onnectors.html
    any thoughts?
    Using a Sony Playstation One as a reference audiophile CD player? That's a new one to me!
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I found that odd as well, I respect 6moons a lot and love their reviews, but they do a lot of odd things.

I like the bullet plugs a lot but they are to flimsy IMO. I have had issues with buzzing and humming in my system, and they all stem from the bullet plugs breaking. Given recently I have had a lot of changes in my system, so lots of unhooking and rehooking, but the only cables I have that have ever broken are ones with bullet plugs.

Jared

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaara View Post
    I found that odd as well, I respect 6moons a lot and love their reviews, but they do a lot of odd things.

I like the bullet plugs a lot but they are to flimsy IMO. I have had issues with buzzing and humming in my system, and they all stem from the bullet plugs breaking. Given recently I have had a lot of changes in my system, so lots of unhooking and rehooking, but the only cables I have that have ever broken are ones with bullet plugs.

Jared
    The "low mass" (read:PLASTIC) body has a lot to do with that....I have a set of bayonets on my home-brew cables and I broke every damn one of them taking them apart to solder them up...Thank god for super glue and heat shrink I guess....They were super easy to solder and sound great though, so I can't really complain......I personally think they are WAY overpriced though.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    I wouldn't fret over it. Some might be better than others (subjective) but It's not a big concern in my book. As long as the connection is tight & doesn't come loose, to me that's good enough.
    I agree. If its gold plated, and fits nice and tight, easy to work with it is good in my book.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Ditto.

-fredv-

i sent the author of the comparison an email asking about the sony playstation.
    in his comparison the connector that won was less expensive than the bullet plugs.
    Last edited by marvda1; 04-12-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    I agree. If its gold plated, and fits nice and tight, easy to work with it is good in my book.
    so does that make locking connectors the way to go?
    marvin
    Main system

here is the reviewer's reply to my inquiry about the playstation one.

"Hi Marvin,

The PS1 is an audio underground favorite. It's performance has exceeded the performance of digital front ends valued up to $8K here at my place. In fact I haven't heard anything that bests it yet. You have to get the SCPH-1001 model of the PS1, and as long as you keep it warmed up and never turn it off you'll get excellent performance.

Best,

Jeff"
    Main system

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Bullet plugs just stink, locking RCA's are the bees knees. A cable is only as good as the termination.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    here is the reviewer's reply to my inquiry about the playstation one.

"Hi Marvin,

The PS1 is an audio underground favorite. It's performance has exceeded the performance of digital front ends valued up to $8K here at my place. In fact I haven't heard anything that bests it yet. You have to get the SCPH-1001 model of the PS1, and as long as you keep it warmed up and never turn it off you'll get excellent performance.

Best,

Jeff"
    So the Playstation One is actually a high-end CDP? If its true, it would be one of the greatest "hidden gems" in the audio world!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think the ends have as much effect if not more than the wire. I love the WBT Nexgens.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Locking RCA's can't be beat, IMO.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I'll have to ask Bill.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information