Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,331

    Default Audio Research vt 60...Tubes!

    I have added a tube amp to the 2 channel. 50WPC of tube goodness.
    It replaces a B&K st-202. It is being fed from a Acurus acd-11 cdp,
    Parasound psp1000 pre and I'm using Paradigm Studio 60's. Cables are Heros
    and AQ cv-6's.
    I need to re-do cables for neatness, but I was in a hurry to warm her up!
    Attached Images  

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    Sick man. What it it, EL34? Whats on the front end?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    Specs say:
    Tube complement (2 matched pairs) 6550B, (2) 6922 driver, (1) 6922 input

    Actual: 4-Svetlana 6550
    3-Slovtek Damn i forgot to write it down!

    I will have to pop the cage and check. I have been sucking up to the ol'lady.
    Haven't done much other than verify operation. I've got to take her to the
    Dallas Arboretum Saturday. Gotta sell a couple of amps, too!
    It's seems to have a classic big, warm sound. The terminals on the back look like old Mac stuff instead of 5 ways.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,071

    Default

    Nothin like tubes!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

    Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (19)

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    7,425

    Default

    Nice I really like the head phone stand
    engtaz

    I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    very nice set up. congrats :)
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasadena Maryland
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    I have added a tube amp to the 2 channel. 50WPC of tube goodness.
    It replaces a B&K st-202. It is being fed from a Acurus acd-11 cdp,
    Parasound psp1000 pre and I'm using Paradigm Studio 60's. Cables are Heros
    and AQ cv-6's.
    I need to re-do cables for neatness, but I was in a hurry to warm her up!
    AudioResearch is great stuff!Good for you! how do the Ref Paradigm's sound with tubes ? i have a pair of Studio 100 v3's sitting here unused and your post has me wanting to try them with My Sonic Frontiers SFS 80.congrats....WCW III
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    The Tube sound fixes the major flaw of the Studio 60 v2.
    They tend to be bright. I don't think the 100's had as much problem with that.
    With tubes, they really show what they are capable of.
    I now know what the term "organic" means!
    Stevie Ray Vahn. Enough said with just that. WOW.
    Tried a number of other artists. My wife was allowed to pick out stuff.
    Maybe a mistake, but it is mother's day. Early 80's hair bands.:(

    Seals and Crofts is hard to listen to on SS gear. Different animal now.
    The sound separation and vocals have improved.
    Since I'm lazy, I'll just post a link to someone else's Pics!

    http://www.6v6gt.com/VT60/index.html

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engtaz View Post
    Nice I really like the head phone stand
    My son made it. William Shatner bust.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasadena Maryland
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    The Tube sound fixes the major flaw of the Studio 60 v2.
    They tend to be bright. I don't think the 100's had as much problem with that.
    With tubes, they really show what they are capable of.
    I now know what the term "organic" means!
    Stevie Ray Vahn. Enough said with just that. WOW.
    Tried a number of other artists. My wife was allowed to pick out stuff.
    Maybe a mistake, but it is mother's day. Early 80's hair bands.:(

    Seals and Crofts is hard to listen to on SS gear. Different animal now.
    The sound separation and vocals have improved.
    Since I'm lazy, I'll just post a link to someone else's Pics!

    http://www.6v6gt.com/VT60/index.html
    the 100 v3's were compressed sounding and a little hot on top with the Rotel RB 1080, they were sweet on top when i switched to the Khartago monos. to borrow the term you used
    they were a different Animal.my SFS 80 uses a similar tube complement to your VT60. i now use Ei KT90's and i also use a quad of Teslovak KT88's and i use four Ei 6DJ8 goldpins in the small driver tube positions.i am also going to try the Winged C Svetlana 6500C power tubes that Russman Suggested. i can also cut the bias setting in half and run EL34's if the mood strikes me.Tubes Rule !
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W WALDECKER View Post
    the 100 v3's were compressed sounding and a little hot on top with the Rotel RB 1080, they were sweet on top when i switched to the Khartago monos. to borrow the term you used
    they were a different Animal.my SFS 80 uses a similar tube complement to your VT60. i now use Ei KT90's and i also use a quad of Teslovak KT88's and i use four Ei 6DJ8 goldpins in the small driver tube positions.i am also going to try the Winged C Svetlana 6500C power tubes that Russman Suggested. i can also cut the bias setting in half and run EL34's if the mood strikes me.Tubes Rule !
    I originally had a Rotel rb980 with AQ King Cobra IC's. I swapped to
    Kimber Heros and a B&K st-202 that helped a lot. SS can only take so so far
    before you have to go to glass. I've had glass in the headphone rig for a year
    now, so I really knew that there was room for improvement.
    This was a deal that only comes up once in a while. There have been a couple of times in the
    past when I should of cut a beeline up to Russman's
    to grab a tube amp. Instead I thought about it too much. Snooze and lose.
    Spending the last weekend surrounded by tubes everywhere at the LoneStar
    Audio fest showed me what I was missing. Wayyyyy too much time in the
    Audio Note room!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Audio Research VT60 power amp
    By sucks2beme in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
  2. Audio Research pre???
    By I-SIG in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 04:25 PM
  3. WTB: Tubes for my Audio Experience Symphonies preamp
    By rnp614 in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
  4. FS: Audio Research LS3 Preamp
    By tryrrthg in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 10:20 AM
  5. Audio Research 130 Amp
    By Tour2ma in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts