Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,381

    Default 360 a universal player?

    While it still seems to be a crap shoot reliability-wise, I thought it interesting that the 360 could be not only the cheapest HD-DVD player but the cheapest Blu-ray player too. Sub $400 for both formats ain't bad. I'd still like to have access to all the lossless audio formats, but it seems like the 360 may prove a great price point for the adoption by the masses of Blu-ray as well. Nice...

    http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/05/15/xbo...ray_drive.html

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roseville, MN
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    While it still seems to be a crap shoot reliability-wise, I thought it interesting that the 360 could be not only the cheapest HD-DVD player but the cheapest Blu-ray player too. Sub $400 for both formats ain't bad. I'd still like to have access to all the lossless audio formats, but it seems like the 360 may prove a great price point for the adoption by the masses of Blu-ray as well. Nice...

    http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/05/15/xbo...ray_drive.html
    I think that is still rumour and speculation

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,381

    Default

    Rumour sure,

    But MS has never ruled out the possibility. It certainly isn't a technical limitation. And MS is in it to make the most amount of money for the company, not to just idealistically support one format. So if it sells more 360s and components in the long run, it's still a win from MS's point of view. I guess we'll know closer to Christmas if it's true.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    i've read from hd dvd and m$ insiders that they have no plan whatsoever to do this. but you never know. i think this will only be a rumor.

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,381

    Default

    It does appear to be getting play on the internet. But yes, could be a bunch of hooey until MS releases something official.
    Last edited by cheddar; 05-16-2007 at 12:45 PM.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    i would buy a bluray add-on if it became available to xbox, but i doubt it will.

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    PER M$ HD DVD INSIDER:

    Quote Originally Posted by amirm
    It is a totally bogus report. The original site claimed the "news" came from Associated Press. So we checked with them and they said that they had never written such an article. And they were not pleased at all that their name was used this way.

    So let me be very, very clear on this. There is not a sole at Microsoft that is even thinking of building a BD player for 360, let alone people actively working on it. We are behind HD DVD as optical formats go. And that is the end of the story.

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    96

    Default

    i seriously think blu-ray should be for data storage only. just the name hd-dvd is a perfect transition from dvd .. speaking of blu-ray why are dedicated blu-ray players MORE than the PS3? i mean thats all those things DO the ps3 has tons of custom technology in it and is still cheaper.. 200 dollars as an OPTION to the 360 is a much better choice

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roseville, MN
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfKiyoshi View Post
    i seriously think blu-ray should be for data storage only. just the name hd-dvd is a perfect transition from dvd .. speaking of blu-ray why are dedicated blu-ray players MORE than the PS3? i mean thats all those things DO the ps3 has tons of custom technology in it and is still cheaper.. 200 dollars as an OPTION to the 360 is a much better choice
    because Sony is taking a loss on each PS3

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIZILL View Post
    PER M$ HD DVD INSIDER:
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm
    It is a totally bogus report. The original site claimed the "news" came from Associated Press. So we checked with them and they said that they had never written such an article. And they were not pleased at all that their name was used this way.

    So let me be very, very clear on this. There is not a sole at Microsoft that is even thinking of building a BD player for 360, let alone people actively working on it. We are behind HD DVD as optical formats go. And that is the end of the story.
    Did they really mean no shoe bottoms at Microsoft or not a soul? ;)

    Their spelling is about as good as their assembly teams.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    D.C. Metro
    Posts
    355

    Default

    unless there is a fraud among us who is thinking that he should impersonate a ms exec. to tell us a lie!
    bwahahaaa.
    i smell conspiracy.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

    Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. LG Universal player at CC
    By cheddar in forum Electronics
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM
  2. Pioneer DV-563 Universal DVD player
    By warlocks1 in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 08:41 AM
  3. Good universal player?
    By keith allen in forum Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
  4. universal (SACD DVD-A) DVD player?
    By Duffman in forum Electronics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 10:02 PM
  5. Pioneer Universal player for $180
    By izafar in forum Electronics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts