Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Default 2 systems from one receiver?

I'd like to keep my current TSS 1100/A5-300 for HT but would also like to add a nice set of vintage Infinity or Polks for music. Since I don't have a speaker A/B switch and my zone 2 is next to useless(analog only), I'm not sure how I would do this.
    Would it be possible to upgrade to a receiver with pre-outs, use the receiver's output for HT/TV, and the signal from the pre's to mono blocks for music.
    I'd rather not create a second setup due to several of the sources would have to be split between the two systems(digital cable box, PC, and xbox).
    TIA,
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Default so shoot me

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I'd like to keep my current TSS 1100/A5-300 for HT but would also like to add a nice set of vintage Infinity or Polks for music. Since I don't have a speaker A/B switch and my zone 2 is next to useless(analog only), I'm not sure how I would do this.
    Would it be possible to upgrade to a receiver with pre-outs, use the receiver's output for HT/TV, and the signal from the pre's to mono blocks for music.
    I'd rather not create a second setup due to several of the sources would have to be split between the two systems(digital cable box, PC, and xbox).
    TIA,
    I have thought of doing the same thing, though I was going to use the zone 2 function to run stereo through a pair of "B" speakers. If that does not work for you, you could run your speaker output to a speaker selection/splitter box. This box lets you take the output from your amp/receiver and choose which speakers you run the power to. I have a Monster selector that lets me run two pairs of speakers in and 4 out. OF COURSE, I am sure this degrades the signal when it goes through the box and I will get a red X on my forhead for this.

The pic on the left is the speaker selection box.
    Attached Images  

My Zone 2 is analog only, I wish I would have known this before purchasing the receiver, I would have looked elsewhere.
    I'm not sure if the selector box would be a good idea, maybe someone else has some input.
    Thanks for your response.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

If your zone two is analog only what's the problem? IF it is going to be for music only (2ch) all you need to do is connect your digital sources using the analog outs into the corresponding inputs for analog, and just switch between analog, and digital for 2ch and ht respectivly. I'm kinda doing this in reverse. I use my receiver for ht running into my Adcom amp for my fronts. When I want 2ch I unplug the Denon from the amp and plug my Adcom pre into it. Iuse my cd/dvd/sacd on both systems the digital out goes into the receiver, the stereo analog out goes directly to the tv(so the kids can watch movie with out the system) and the 5.1 fronts go to the Adcom(The 5.1 is set to front only/stereo) My turn table is conected to only the Adcom pre.

Sorry for the thread hijack,
    dude
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

When I use my PC, the difference between analog and digital out is night and day.
    As for my 360 and cable box, I guess I could keep them hooked up(optical) and also hook up their analog cables under different sources for Zone 2.
    Thanks for you help.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (3)

ah, I didn't see you were using your pc as a source. You could always by and outboard dac to convert the digital to analog which would most likely sound better than the receivers dac.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

Thread Information