Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default Shanling CDP, just another pretty face?

The Shanling cdp's look cool but do they sound as good as they look. I'm looking into the SCD-T200. Because I wanted a player that will also do SACD. Was hoping someone might have or have listened to one. I'm looking to buy used. Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Shanlings are solid performers - I really like mine...

With their looks, they give you an incredibly solid build. Mine is made with like 1/4" thick aluminum all around...
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I thought they didn't play SACD?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

The 200 does. And I believe it has a headphone jack.http://www.musichallaudio.com/shanli...SCD-T200_SP-80

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Shanling makes very good sounding gear.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You don't get many choices for a tube CDP that does SACD. The Shanling is supposed to be good from what I read, I've never heard one. A Modwright Sony or Denon universal player would be another good choice. I've got a Modwright Sony 999ES that I got from a fellow forum member that sounds great. I've never heard the Modwright Denon. The Denon would also do DVD-A, which none of the Sony products will do.

Good luck!
    Carl

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

If you want to step into a solid machined valve piece that supports SACD - picking up a used Shanling like the one Sid's got for sale is a safe bet.

However, as far as pure redbook sound is concerned at its retail price; you can do far better.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    If you want to step into a solid machined valve piece that supports SACD - picking up a used Shanling like the one Sid's got for sale is a safe bet.

Sean, I don't think Sid's supports SACD, I think HDCD and redbook.

Carl
    Carl

Member Sales Rating: (10)

The 100 does not do SACD. The 200 does though. The 200 looks just like the 100, but the main body is about twice as thick.

I have the Shanling 100. It is excellent. It was a huge step up from my previous dedicated CDP and DAC combo. I highly recommend the 100, and I personally would jump at the chance to have the 200 and SACD playback.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

I think the Shanling gear is ugly as sin. Way too George Jetson for me.

As far as build, sound, etc - I can't really say - I've only spent a dozen hours or so with a CDP and some Tube Monoblocks.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thanks for the correction boys. Comments still stand, yet as always - its just one guys impressions and observations. The worst that can happen is you take a chance, try it out, and lose out on shipping if its not for you. If it blows your skirt up, well then - all the better eh ?

Member Sales Rating: (11)

so has anyone rolled any tubes into the Shanling CDP? or are you all that have them using stock tubes? just curious

I have a DVD-Audio player, but no SACD player. I was hoping that the Shanling would really make regular CD's sound good. The SACD option would be a bonus. Right now I'm using my 8 year old Sony 200 disc player. I bought it new for about $175. So what does that tell you.
    As far as the tube section is concerned. Would it sound better using a tube pre and tube power amp? Or would it still sound good with ss gear.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I use mine with SS amp, and its awesome. I actually prefer the SS output of the CDP to that of the tube stage.

Thread Information