Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default H/K AVR 645 problem...

    Hi this is my first post here. I have recently put together a new rig AVR 645, 2 Rti10's in the front, CSi3 Center, FXi3's in the rear, and a Velodyne DPS-12 sub.

    The problem is that my avr 645 will just shut down to standby mode for no reason. i had just finished the ezeq and was tweaking some things with a DVD (optical) in the background, and it got to a loud part @ reasonable (-25db) volume, and it just shut down and now every time i turn it back on it shuts down 30 seconds later.

    I have shut down the main power button and let it sit and it still does the same thing. Its running very hot and with the temp in the house it is understandable. but it should handle 20 mins of a dvd? It is in a very well ventilated area top of my rack with lots of space all around it, including open slots on the bottom.

    i have read a few other posts that have touched on some similar problems but not this exact one. any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (43)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,931

    Default

    Welcome to club Polk.
    HK's run hot. Is your unit running real hot? does it shut down in 2 channel? the 10's draw a lot of currant. Most would agree that you should have a seperate amp for them. Are all your speakers set to large. Do you run a sub?
    My HK ran hot, but never shut down.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    HK's naturally run hot. If your's is new, return it for a replacement. The 645's shouldn't have problems with the 10's especially during a movie.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Totally no what you mean about it running hot. I have left it on for long periods of time to get the smell out of it, and it never shut down on me. I have also had it on high volumes for long gaming sessions.

    If it's shutting down after 30 seconds you may want to try a processor reset. I'm not sure if the correct process is the same for every model, but you press a combo of buttons all at once at it resets. It should be in your manual near the back and under "processor reset". I know for mine you hold down tone mode and something like that.

    If that fails, I would say exchange it for a new one.

    Hope this helps. :)

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Check your wires...one strand can short the connection and cause the AVR to go into protection. That being said, I had 2 HKs that suffered from this problem. If it ain't the wire, exchange it.

    Combo rig:

    Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    My HK also runs hot as hell. It should have no prob running 5.1 speakers for a dvd. You got some good advice- checking the wiring and restarting the system. I agree that if this doesn't work then return it.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    possible 'clipping'? shouldn't, but no matter what, i feel you are under-powering those rti 10's. with my 110 watts x7 or what not, i chose to go with rti8's vs. 10's.

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions. It apperd to have something to do with the speaker wires i reinserted them and the problem stopped. The HK still runs very hot though. but it sounds amazing! Logic 7 is a nice surround setting. :)

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Welcome to club Polk.
    HK's run hot. Is your unit running real hot? does it shut down in 2 channel? the 10's draw a lot of currant. Most would agree that you should have a seperate amp for them. Are all your speakers set to large. Do you run a sub?
    My HK ran hot, but never shut down.
    Ben
    any suggestions for good power amps i could look into?

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Outlawaudio has great bang for the buck...

    And if you are concerned about your avr running hot...try coolcomponents.com (not affiliated)...I bought one of their fans with power supply for $60. My avr runs pretty hot too.

    Other than that...Make sure you have 4 inches of air space allround...that's what I've heard is the proper spacing. In my setup I have 2 inches of clearance...so I use the cool components fan to suck up the hot air and blow it out the side of my rack.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auto_pilot View Post
    Outlawaudio has great bang for the buck...

    And if you are concerned about your avr running hot...try coolcomponents.com (not affiliated)...I bought one of their fans with power supply for $60. My avr runs pretty hot too.

    Other than that...Make sure you have 4 inches of air space allround...that's what I've heard is the proper spacing. In my setup I have 2 inches of clearance...so I use the cool components fan to suck up the hot air and blow it out the side of my rack.

    thx i will look into outlawaudio. As far as ventilation goes i have open front back and sides and 3" planks with 1" spacing on the bottom.... I also have a little high flow fan i think i will use in the rear. We have also been having a heat wave and my living room is incredibly hot, hopefully it stays a little cooler now and it wont be such and issue.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastCaress7 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. It apperd to have something to do with the speaker wires i reinserted them and the problem stopped. The HK still runs very hot though. but it sounds amazing! Logic 7 is a nice surround setting. :)
    Get some bananas on the wire.

    Combo rig:

    Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    Get some bananas on the wire.

    I would of, but I already over spent my budget by 700$ and dident want to spend the added 120$ or whatever it was for them at that time, though im sure i will add them in eventually. what should a pair cost in CAD?

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastCaress7 View Post
    I would of, but I already over spent my budget by 700$ and dident want to spend the added 120$ or whatever it was for them at that time, though im sure i will add them in eventually. what should a pair cost in CAD?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

    Not sure about shipping to Canada...might also look at www.partsexpress.com.

    Combo rig:

    Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

    Not sure about shipping to Canada...might also look at www.partsexpress.com.
    Thx will check

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (43)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastCaress7 View Post
    any suggestions for good power amps i could look into?
    Used Adcoms, and Parasounds. You can find these cheap, and if you don't like them sell again for just the loss of shipping.
    AudioGon.com is a good place to buy. Get your amps at the1/3 of the cost new.

    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastCaress7 View Post
    thx i will look into outlawaudio. As far as ventilation goes i have open front back and sides and 3" planks with 1" spacing on the bottom.... I also have a little high flow fan i think i will use in the rear. We have also been having a heat wave and my living room is incredibly hot, hopefully it stays a little cooler now and it wont be such and issue.
    I should have clarified...I have 2 inches of air space between the top of my reciever and the next plank. I really need 4inches...but due to space limitations...I have to work with what I have for now.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. 11T problem
    By riglehart in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 10:24 PM
  2. LSI 15 problem
    By Jockos in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 04:24 AM
  3. This shouldn't be a problem.....should it ?
    By millerman 3732 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
  4. Having the same problem...
    By LILDRAGON in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 01:57 PM
  5. Do I have a problem
    By raglandl in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2002, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts