Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default In Wall Install TCi series

    I am getting ready to install 2 TC65i speakers for Front R/L and a T265i for a center and 4 TC60i's for the surround and back speakers in a 7.1 setup. Have a couple of questions:

    1) I have to do some reframing of the walls due to studs being in the desired location for the speakers and have read that if possible to put blocking in to create a psuedo box around the speakers. I looked at the LCi series and it gave a volume to do this and box size. Can I use these measurements for the TC65's and TC265i speakers or is it a different volume? (perfromance enclosure not an option)

    2) If I do create a specific volume as stated above do I still use insulation around the speaker (would be prefered as it is an oustide wall).

    3) On the ceiling speakers, TC60i's, should I put the insulation on top of them or leave them open to the attic?

    Thanks for any help,

    Chuck

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    3) Certainly go buy some pink roll fiberglass insulation. This will tighten up the mids and bass response.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chtaylor3 View Post
    I am getting ready to install 2 TC65i speakers for Front R/L and a T265i for a center and 4 TC60i's for the surround and back speakers in a 7.1 setup. Have a couple of questions:

    1) I have to do some reframing of the walls due to studs being in the desired location for the speakers and have read that if possible to put blocking in to create a psuedo box around the speakers. I looked at the LCi series and it gave a volume to do this and box size. Can I use these measurements for the TC65's and TC265i speakers or is it a different volume? (perfromance enclosure not an option)

    2) If I do create a specific volume as stated above do I still use insulation around the speaker (would be prefered as it is an oustide wall).

    3) On the ceiling speakers, TC60i's, should I put the insulation on top of them or leave them open to the attic?

    Thanks for any help,

    Chuck

    I recently installed a system for my father-n-law using the TC series. I created the boxes as you mentioned using 2x4 blocks. For the interior walls which is where the front 3 were installed, I insulated all studs within 2 feet of the speaker boxes and placed a slight amount of insulation inside the box. For the surrounds, I created the boxes but since they were exterior walls, I left all insulation in tact including the area inside the speaker area.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m00npie View Post
    I recently installed a system for my father-n-law using the TC series. I created the boxes as you mentioned using 2x4 blocks. For the interior walls which is where the front 3 were installed, I insulated all studs within 2 feet of the speaker boxes and placed a slight amount of insulation inside the box. For the surrounds, I created the boxes but since they were exterior walls, I left all insulation in tact including the area inside the speaker area.
    What size did you make the boxes in the wall? The LCi manual says 1 cubic foot for the LC65 and LC265. The TC manual has nothing mentioned.
    Thanks for your help!

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    701

    Default

    1' above and below so about 36''. Nothing scientific about the distance, that is just where I nailed them since I wanted to minimize the drywall work. In the end, the TC series sounds really good. Right now, they are driven by a Denon 2807, I would like to bring my amp from home just to how much they would improve.

    Your LC's will probably greatly benefit from a separate amp since they are 4ohm where the TC's are 8ohm.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    They are TC's I was just looking at the LC manual because it had info on wall volumes. One of the reasons I was hoping to get a response from Polk tech support to see if the volumes listed for the LC's would work for the TC's. Thanks for your help always good to hear from someone that has installed them similar.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chtaylor3 View Post
    They are TC's I was just looking at the LC manual because it had info on wall volumes. One of the reasons I was hoping to get a response from Polk tech support to see if the volumes listed for the LC's would work for the TC's. Thanks for your help always good to hear from someone that has installed them similar.
    I'm pretty sure that the LC and TC series use the same performance enclosure. So wouldn't that mean they require the same wall volume?

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jzpasnu View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the LC and TC series use the same performance enclosure. So wouldn't that mean they require the same wall volume?
    thanks JZ I see that they do. I am going to make themt he same size as I would like to upgrade to that series later on also.

    m00npie.....did you install them at the recomend height of 42" in the manual? thanks

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    701

    Default

    The 42'' did not pass the Mother-n-law acceptance factor. The surrounds are about 60 at the center of the speaker and the fronts are about 50 to the center of the speaker. As for the Center, it is above the TV around 76 but the Center is angled down to viewer level so no dialogue is lost.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks! I am going thru the wife approval factor now :)

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (21)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Deep Down the Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    9,610

    Default

    friggen alligators-----mother in law??????????

    Ok, you can hunt through the pdf on the site here or just call CS and they will give you the cubic volume you will need. I would recommend using MDF and yes Polk does include some batting in their performance enclosure's, they are also baffled for the speaker, the kit includes some isolation pads which you do need to use whereever the box touches wood, the kit also has some brackets to use to mount the speaker in the cavity to the studs.

    RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000


    RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords


    Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    thanks for all the help you guys have been giving! Figured I would make boxes for each one since I have to open up the drywall anyway to move some studs to put the speakers where I want. Which brings on the next questions....

    I have never made speaker enclosure boxes and wondered if it mattered on the width and height of the box. The Polk enclosure is tall (to get it between 16 o/c studs) and I will have to make my center speaker enclosure short and then make up volume by making it wider, does this mattter? I just need to get the correct volume in the box not a particular shape, right?

    I am modeling it after the one in the LCi cutsheet http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/LCi_Cutsheet.pdf and making it out of MDF and it looks as if theirs is 3 sided and using the drywall as the 4th side?

    There is batting in it, I will just use the insulation from the wall area I am putting them in?

    Now for the big question, will this gain me much over just blocking it in with 2x4's creating a box around it rather than taking the time to make the MDF enclosure? What does the MDF gain me?

    Thanks for any help.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
  2. Install in-wall center speaker above or below Plasma HDTV?
    By jomass in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
  3. In-wall speaker install advice
    By dragon1952 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM
  4. Install subs in a wall?
    By gotoml in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 01:13 PM
  5. where to install speakers on the wall??
    By faster100 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts