Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IR Repeater?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default IR Repeater?

So - my HT rack is off to the left side of the room and most of my IR remote controls don't work. At a minimum I have to move to the center of the room for my remotes to even think about working. As a result, I would like to use an IR repeater to control my HT rack from the main seating position.

Does anyone here have experience with using IR repeaters? How well do they work and which brands would you recommend?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

IR repeater work pretty good. I use them in about half of my installations. Russound makes a reasonably priced unit($100), and Direct Connect has a very reasonable($100 instead of $175+) plasma proof system that works pretty good as well. Xantech, Niles, Speakercraft, and the like work good as well, but they can get pricey in a hurry.

If you need specific recommendations, let me know.
    Tschüss
    Zach

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Those all sound really expensive. I got a set of Jensen IR repeaters for really cheap on eBay. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything distance-sensitive, this is one piece of equipment I do not see any reason to spend a lot of money on.

Specifically these (no affil, just the first search result that came up).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    Those all sound really expensive. I got a set of Jensen IR repeaters for really cheap on eBay. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything distance-sensitive, this is one piece of equipment I do not see any reason to spend a lot of money on.

Specifically these (no affil, just the first search result that came up).
    The wireless probably work for most people that don't mind messing with them. The wired versions are much more reliable in the long run, and are definetly worth the money for many installations. Parts Express used to have a little cheaper wired version, using Buffalo Electronics with a separate IR receiver, but I haven't used it for quite a while.
    Tschüss
    Zach

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I've used one of these for years to control the stereo in remote locations, works great. Currently using one in my garage, the stereo is over 50 feet away through three walls, no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-POWERMID-Rem...QQcmdZViewItem

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    I've used one of these for years to control the stereo in remote locations, works great. Currently using one in my garage, the stereo is over 50 feet away through three walls, no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-POWERMID-Rem...QQcmdZViewItem
    I have used these also. RS used to sell them. I buy them on ebay for about $20. There are position sensitive, that means you need to move them around to get the best results.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Just another note about the pyraminds or IR repeaters as I call them. I have one located out side under the porch and use it to control the sound for my hottub. They work in below freezing temperatures. Just keep them dry. I use a cheap $15 learning remote from RS from the hot tub that also works in the rain and freezing cold.

Thread Information