Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What does it sound like when a tweeter is going bad?

About a month and a half ago I bought a used set of SDA 1Bs. The previous owner replaced one of the right tweeters serveral years ago, but the other is still an old SL tweeter.

On that speaker, I am getting intermittent static. I only hear it at lower listening volumes. I have swapped out the speaker cable and the interconnect from my AVR (being used at preamp) and the NAD amp running the SDAs. Both changes no fix.

I am about to try hooking a different pair of speakers up to the NAD amp to see if it is an amp problem. If that is not it, my next thought would be a speaker problem, but I wanted to get some ideas as to what a bad driver (most likely tweeter I guess) would sound like before I start throwing replacement drivers at it).

I don't know if it is related, but the sound also seems to be a little choppy with movies. I don't know if this is a mixture of the sound fields and SDA. Should I disconnect the SDA cord when watching movies? Also, the SDA cord does not plug in very tight, could that cause my staticy sound? Listening with that unplugged is something I will need to try too I guess.

Any suggestions or guidance on what bad drivers/tweeters will sound like?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

So it's the older SL tweeter that has the static? Have you swapped the tweeters from one side to the other to see if it follows the tweeter? That would be a quick determination. I had a couple of SL2000's that had issues, too, and replacing with known working units fixed that. What tweeter did he replace it with? Another SL or one of the new RD0's?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Sounds like a bad tweeter, continue the swap for the good one to make sure. Do yourself a favor and just get (4) RD0's and be done with it. You can thank me later :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Really I am not sure which tweeter is causing the static yet, but I will listen for it. Also, thanks for the idea of swapping with tweeter from other speaker, don't know why I didn't think of that

I think the new tweeter is an RDO. It is all black and he claims to have bought it from Polk about 4 years ago.

Ultimately I do plan to upgrade all the tweeters to the RDO, but if my static is an amp problem the money would need to go there first.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It will sound like Yoko Ono
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."

Member Sales Rating: (19)

good one

Thread Information