Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question home subwoofer w/ DB104 subs - box build

hey there, i've lurked here for a while and finally decided to join after i came up empty handed on finding information on making a home subwoofer with my 2 DB104 10" subs.

i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with making a box for a sub for in-home use. i want to use these for video games/movies/music.. so any help is greatly appreciated.

my plan is to make this box:

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/su...ments=standard

thanks in advance :)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Before i go on how are you going to amplify this

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That box looks like a decent fit.

The problem I see with that woofer is if you have enough power, sealed is gonna be the best bet. However, with a resonance pushing 40 Hz, you'll get much deeper bass from a ported box.

Don't expect the tightest bass in the world. If you do, go sealed and use at least 300 WRMS for the pair.

edit: I've got a few minutes so I'll run a few designs. brb
    Last edited by ShinAce; 01-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Ok, so I've got some numbers.

A sealed box should have 1 cubic foot of internal volume. If you give yourself 1 cubic foot as a total for the airspace and the speaker and stuff it fully but not packed, that would be tight. Large power amplifier required.

A vented box will want at least 1.5 cubic feet of internal volume. Then you add on the speaker and port displacements. You're looking at a good size box. Maybe 20"h x 16"d x 12"w at the smallest. The port will need to be a slot port. 1" by 10 " needs to be 13 inches long. Remember that if you use a corner to terminate the port, its effective length will gain an inch(in this case).

A bandpass box also has great potential. At a hair bigger than the ported box, it can be adapted as a coffee or even side table. Extension is pegged at -3 dB at 28 Hz and then again at 76 Hz. Front chamber is 0.6 ft3, rear is 1.5 ft3, tuned to 46 Hz.

For a small room, go sealed. For medium sized rooms, stealth look and wife approval rating, go bandpass. Don't be a first timer cutting wood if you go this route. Lastly, a ported box with lots of power will yield the deepest, and meanest bass.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

reported
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information