Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Parts Express black grill cloth. Decent?

With what I've read from various posts, most seem to like the Hancock Fabrics Pointe series of black grill cloth for their replacement choice. I have a $125 Parts Express order I was going to place and at that point, shipping is free so I thought I "might" get grill cloth from them. Has anyone used it with awful results where you had to redo the speakers? The main thing this is for is the SRS 2.3's that I bought for my best friend that I am redoing before I take them to him next month. The frames are in perfect shape but the grills have "cat scratch fever" and are coming unattached in spots. Also, the grill cloth covered side panels are going to be redone along with the grills since 2 out of 4 of the side panels are coming unglued. I'd rather just redo it all at the same time so that the grills match the sides. I never even have the grills on mine here at home so I haven't even thought about redoing mine yet.

He has no cats so I don't have to worry about that happening again. The closest Hancock Fabric store is in Lewisville which is about 30 minutes away. Not the worst difference so I guess it's just the traffic and time that makes me deliberate on either ordering it from PE (for free freight) versus ordering it from HF and paying $10 in freight. it won't cost me $10 in gas to go get it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Other ideas?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

FWIW, I think it's fine.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You will not be able to tell the difference between the Parts Express grill cloth and the original from the SDA's! I have used it a few times and it is perfect.
    Good luck.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

DarqueKnight changed his but I forgot the cloth he used.

In his book, he talks about the stuff from Hancock Fabrics.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Banned

Black Spandex is the hot tip.

Right from Dr Roger West from the Sound Labs Electrostatic Speakers Web site

What kind of grille cloth do you recommend?
    All of the grille cloth we use is acoustical grade. I recommend the black Spandex cloth particularly because it has the least acoustical resistance
    Last edited by ka7niq; 09-17-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added info

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I was afraid spandex was going to come back.:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Banned

Not only does Dr West recommend it for his Sound Labs Speakers, but I seen others who used it as well.
    It stretches in 4 directions.
    It has other "possibilities" as well IF you don't like the sound,

Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    Not only does Dr West recommend it for his Sound Labs Speakers, but I seen others who used it as well.
    Just don't post any pictures of you wearing it around. Keep that to yourself! :D

Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    I just wonder how it would look on the side panels as I am going to be redoing those, too. My best friend isn't going to hear s**t from shinola on the differences in the grill cloth. He'll love them no matter what. I've worked with grill cloth for all sorts of applications for home and car stuff thru the years. I can darn near stretch grill cloth around a basketball without a seam. (almost, I said) :D

Thread Information