Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default The Official TT Thread!

Ok, because it seems that every single stinkin' thread that has ANYTHING to do with turntables seems to turn into an argument - er - "discussion" about the pros & cons of owning TT's & being into vinyl, how about ONE THREAD that does it all?!

Yessiree folks, just 1 thread! That's right! You, yes YOU!, can make your case right here! Just get in touch with & then share your inner most feelings about owning a TT & being into vinyl. Pull no punches, take no survivors & the winner takes it all!

This way it's all right here! No need to chase endlessly after those TT promoters/bashers when it's all here!

Alrightee then! Let the smack down begin & may the best audiophile win! :D :D :D
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've just re-discovered vinyl and I can't imagine why I ever got away from it...Oh yeah, now I remember, because I couldn't play them in my car and I had to turn them over.

Take the convenience factor out of the equation and vinyl wins every time. Even on my POS Pioneer TT, I'd rather listen to albums than CDs any day.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Come to my house, you will like the way vinyl sounds.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Come to my house, you will like the way vinyl sounds.
    Joe,

I need to come visit you and the Mrs. Or even better. maybe you could host a PolkFest gathering and show us all just how good vinyl can sound. :) :D

I don't know if I could listen to a truly quality vinyl rig...I might cry.

well for me.. i'm just dabbling in vinyl. I can never afford to reach the level of some of the cool folks in here who have invested not only money, but time to really tweak out their systems.

I am just in the entry level, find a 30 yr old TT that spins and get a new needle and cartridge and get some new unopened albums and spin them once a week. It's fun, but that's how deep i want to get into it. If I had the funds, yes I would have a better TT and phono stage.

Hey, what are you guys doing up so late???

DB, how are those SDA2's coming? I wanna hear! I wanna hear!

& Your TT too!

BF, as soon as the new mid bass stereo driver shows up next week.. then you'll have to come over. the SDA2's are no SRS's i'll tell you that much. Good but not in the same league. I still measure all SDA's to the SRS's as a reference point.

They are very pretty looking though. ;)

The TT is nice looking vintage Pioneer.

Do you have any albums?

Zip albums! :(

I used to have many, but got rid of them in the great album purge that led to cd's!

Drat & double drat!

Banned

There are far better TT rigs then mine owned by other members on this forum, trust me. I think I am just more vocal about it!:o

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hale2thechief View Post
    I don't know if I could listen to a truly quality vinyl rig...I might cry.
    You won't cry but I can't guarantee that you won't jones. :D

Quote Originally Posted by BottomFeeder View Post
    Zip albums! :(

I used to have many, but got rid of them in the great album purge that led to cd's!

Drat & double drat!
    no biggie.. i just thought you might have a favorite one or two that you'd like to hear. I have several of them in pretty good condition. But since not as many albums are released as CD's for popular music.. most of mine are older releases, but some of them you might be familar enough with.

Cat Stevens, Simply Red, Bryan Adams, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy View Post
    no biggie.. i just thought you might have a favorite one or two that you'd like to hear. I have several of them in pretty good condition. But since not as many albums are released as CD's for popular music.. most of mine are older releases, but some of them you might be familar enough with.

Cat Stevens, Simply Red, Bryan Adams, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, etc.
    Ooh yeah, baby! Plenty to work w/there!!! :D

Before you extend the invite, let me know which Cat Stevens, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac & Doobies albums you have and if I have the cd's, I'll bring'em & we can compare'em! Fun!

Banned

Joe,

I need to come visit you and the Mrs. Or even better. maybe you could host a PolkFest gathering and show us all just how good vinyl can sound. :) :D
    Anytime you are on the RIGHT coast all you guys are welcome to my humble abode.

Banned

Cat Stevens, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, etc.
    I'll take these!!!:D

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by hale2thechief View Post
    I've just re-discovered vinyl and I can't imagine why I ever got away from it...Oh yeah, now I remember, because I couldn't play them in my car and I had to turn them over.

Take the convenience factor out of the equation and vinyl wins every time. Even on my POS Pioneer TT, I'd rather listen to albums than CDs any day.
    I second. I also just rediscovered my records. Before the CD revolution I would record LP's to cassette and store my vinyl, preserving the warm sound of the LP. With the exception of SACD, (IMO) vinyl just simply sounds better than standard redbook CD's. Recently, I've been recording some of my vinyl with Audicity and converting it to CD format just for the convenience. I still prefer the warm sound of vinyl over a standard CD anyday. I gotta confess, I gave alot of my old records away when I acquired my first CDP back in 85. So I've been on a quest lately reclaiming some of those old LP's. I guess I'm fortunate cuz there's a huge used books and record store near to where I am. I managed to find a brand new, still sealed in plastic, copy of The Carpenters, Yesterday Once More last month.
    I'm havin' a blast I gotta admit and I'm going to try to make some time either this weekend or next to shop for more hidden treasure. Ahhh, the joy of audiophilia
    My TT Rig=an AudioTechnica AT PL120. Picked it up about 4 or 5 months ago to replace my old belt driven Pioneer PL100. So far I can't complain. Cost me 160.00 bucks brand new. It's built like a tank, weighs in at about 25lbs. Direct drive with an onboard pre-amp. Has pitch control and quartz lock. All the features you'd find on a Technics but about half the price. Sounds great and it's been a good, solid investment.
    Last edited by Keiko; 09-22-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Well, I must admit that you TT addicts are one very dedicated bunch and your commitement to pursuing the analog sound is to be applauded. I have heard very good vinyl rigs (Joe's is one of them) & I must say that I liked what I heard. Then again I've also heard very good CD rigs (mine being one of them). What moves us emotionally is a very personal issue, to some it's the analog sound & to others it's the digital sound or a combination of both. The sound of my rig is what gets my toes tapping & warms my soul to the point that I need not look any further as far as formats are concerned. This is one great hobby that has plenty of room for all formats & their followers. Rock on fellow Polkies to whatever sound gets your juices flowing!! :)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I also love vinyl and Joe has my rig right now but will be getting it on PF weekend. I cant wait to listen to it again. To me vinyl wins hands down over cd's anyday of the week but I will never stop listening to cd's either. Yes there is alot more work involved with vinyl but it is so worth it in my opinion.

Would LOVE to meet you and to hear your rig!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Well, I must admit that you TT addicts are one very dedicated bunch and your commitement to pursuing the analog sound is to be applauded. I have heard very good vinyl rigs (Joe's is one of them) & I must say that I liked what I heard. Then again I've also heard very good CD rigs (mine being one of them). What moves us emotionally is a very personal issue, to some it's the analog sound & to others it's the digital sound or a combination of both. The sound of my rig is what gets my toes tapping & warms my soul to the point that I need not look any further as far as formats are concerned. This is one great hobby that has plenty of room for all formats & their followers. Rock on fellow Polkies to whatever sound gets your juices flowing!! :)
    Oh brother . . . you are witnessing the pussyfication of Phil!:D :p

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post

Bravo :D

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Oh brother . . . you are witnessing the pussyfication of Phil!:D :p
    Nah, I'm just taking a break from breaking balls!!! :D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Banned

That's my boy!

Just need directions to get there....

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I was in a demo room where a customer had brought in about a dozen cd's and albums,
    both sets of media were the same artists/albums.
    The shootout involved a very nice Conrad Johnson Pre/pa, an Arcam CDP,
    Dynaudio (Focus?) and I don't remember the TT setup.
    The albums all had a warmer sound. In most cases, the winner was vinyl.
    There were some cases the cd won. Recording quality really does matter.
    I don't see myself going back to vinyl, but I understand the appeal.
    Yes, there's the cleaning, the set-up, the tweaking, the getting up to flip the
    sides. But quite often, the reward is there. I also can see the next wave is
    the death of redbook. The format was a stopgap design that was never meant to
    last this long. Hard to say what will be there in the future.
    But if cd's piss you off, MP3 can't help but to drive audio lovers out of
    our minds.

FLAC FLAC FLAC!!!!!
    F MP3 and don't look back!

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    I was in a demo room where a customer had brought in about a dozen cd's and albums,
    both sets of media were the same artists/albums.
    The shootout involved a very nice Conrad Johnson Pre/pa, an Arcam CDP,
    Dynaudio (Focus?) and I don't remember the TT setup.
    The albums all had a warmer sound. In most cases, the winner was vinyl.
    There were some cases the cd won. Recording quality really does matter.
    I don't see myself going back to vinyl, but I understand the appeal.
    Yes, there's the cleaning, the set-up, the tweaking, the getting up to flip the
    sides. But quite often, the reward is there. I also can see the next wave is
    the death of redbook. The format was a stopgap design that was never meant to
    last this long. Hard to say what will be there in the future.
    But if cd's piss you off, MP3 can't help but to drive audio lovers out of
    our minds.

FLAC FLAC FLAC!!!!!
    F MP3 and don't look back!
    May your ears be forever as scillient as your words. MP3, compressed music on the go. But forgotten in 30 minutes. ???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    Just need directions to get there....
    Seven minutes off of I 95!

I'm glad I replied to this thread, it seems to have kicked off a great deal of discussion. I am a rank amateur compare to most of the folks on this site. I enjoy music in all its forms, but vinyl seems to hold a special place for me...maybe its the fast approach of 40 that does it. I find myself looking for all of the stuff that I enjoyed in the 80s on cassette on vinyl. Even with my Pioneer TT with the cheapo AT cart, vinyl presents a very warm sound.

I don't pretend to be an audiophile on the same level as most of you, but I know what I like...and I like the vinyl sound.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Some analog validation.....

Hey guys. Long time no see. I've been keeping my head in my small digital world for some time now.

I got tired of being hounded by Rich to drive out and give his new turntable a listen so I made the trek.

Simply incredible! First he played an old Tina Turner LP that sounded pristine, with deep tight bass and a crystal clear voice.

Then.....he played some Bach. Fugue in G minor on pipe organ. Damn. 3 days later and I still have goosebumps just thinking about it. I've never heard vinyl sound this good. Of course his entire rig played a big role in the final sound, but I can't believe how amazingly clean, deep and balanced vinyl could be!

No, I don't have any inkling myself. Health issues are sucking up the play money so for the meantime, I'm happy with what I have. But, I know where to go to get my vinyl fix ;)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Normanality View Post
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I've been keeping my head in my small digital world for some time now.

I got tired of being hounded by Rich to drive out and give his new turntable a listen so I made the trek.

Simply incredible! First he played an old Tina Turner LP that sounded pristine, with deep tight bass and a crystal clear voice.

Then.....he played some Bach. Fugue in G minor on pipe organ. Damn. 3 days later and I still have goosebumps just thinking about it. I've never heard vinyl sound this good. Of course his entire rig played a big role in the final sound, but I can't believe how amazingly clean, deep and balanced vinyl could be!

No, I don't have any inkling myself. Health issues are sucking up the play money so for the meantime, I'm happy with what I have. But, I know where to go to get my vinyl fix ;)
    Nice write up. Rich I told you it was special.

Thread Information