Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Jvc Dla-hd1

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default Jvc Dla-hd1

    Hi,

    I'd like some opinions on this projector, as I am considering to upgrade my CRT projector to this JVC unit.

    My main interest is how is the black level/color/saturation compared to a CRT projector.

    Thanks!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    You cant get better than this my friend for what theyre going for on the market. You can get them around 4000-4500. I have had mine setup temporarily until I move and the picture I've seen is unreal, definitely has that pop image. Black level is very good on this pj, color/saturation are outstanding, though some complain about the oversaturation of green. I dont have the most tamed eye out there but I say PQ is second to none. The RS2 will be out in November but I cant see 8k in a PJ, Im just not on that level yet. I pairing this up in the new theater on a 126 inch screen although depending on screen you can go larger. Some guys have gone up to as large as 159 using a Da-lite Hi Power though you have a much narrower cone of view using this type of screen. I chose a Carada BW screen which is right on par with the Stewart Studiotek 130. I seen this PJ in action many of times and I still am floored everytime I view it. Definitely a huge stamp of approval in my book and tons of others owners, reviewers out there. Check it out.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    You cant get better than this my friend for what theyre going for on the market. You can get them around 4000-4500. I have had mine setup temporarily until I move and the picture I've seen is unreal, definitely has that pop image. Black level is very good on this pj, color/saturation are outstanding, though some complain about the oversaturation of green. I dont have the most tamed eye out there but I say PQ is second to none. The RS2 will be out in November but I cant see 8k in a PJ, Im just not on that level yet. I pairing this up in the new theater on a 126 inch screen although depending on screen you can go larger. Some guys have gone up to as large as 159 using a Da-lite Hi Power though you have a much narrower cone of view using this type of screen. I chose a Carada BW screen which is right on par with the Stewart Studiotek 130. I seen this PJ in action many of times and I still am floored everytime I view it. Definitely a huge stamp of approval in my book and tons of others owners, reviewers out there. Check it out.
    Thanks. Do you happen to know how this would compare to the Sony VPL-VW100(Ruby)? That's my second choice for projector, but it's hard to justify spending all the $$$ if there isn't much improvement over the JVC.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    The JVC will eat the Ruby for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Sony or Pearl cant touch, although the VW50 runs a very close 2nd. What hurts both of these is brightness, the Sonys are dim. The JVC is much brighter, you wont regret it. If youre thinking Sony the new Black Pearl would be a tad bit brighter than the former Sonys, but the PQ is still murder on the JVC, its just that good.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    The JVC will eat the Ruby for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Sony or Pearl cant touch, although the VW50 runs a very close 2nd. What hurts both of these is brightness, the Sonys are dim. The JVC is much brighter, you wont regret it. If youre thinking Sony the new Black Pearl would be a tad bit brighter than the former Sonys, but the PQ is still murder on the JVC, its just that good.
    and the Ruby is $2-3000 more than the JVC!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Sherardp, I demoed both units and it seemed like the Sony was more like my CRT projector than the JVC. But overall the JVC had a better picture. I'm just wondering which aspects of the projector do you like the most and which ones you do not like...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Argyle (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    I have the Mitsu HC5000 and love it. That should be considered in any discussion IMO.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    The Sony does throw a very nice pic, I havent seen the ruby up and running, though I seen one in a local frys in diego but they had it turned off for some reason. The pearl would be next in line, besides being just a little dim, the pic was very good, but once I seen the JVC I was floored. I demo a few dark scenes in batman begins, an opera concert, and potc on Blu ray. In the opera concert I could definitely see the difference, the sony showed the performers in black tuxedos, however the JVC you could notice the tux's had stripes in them, same frame and everything. The black level is where the JVC shines over, batman begins on HD DVD never looked this good. I personally picked the jvc for that very reason, let alone its bright. Meaning you can go large without the need of a hi-gain screen.

    Hockeyboy the HC5000 is a stellar PJ, however the Sony and the JVC are totally on a higher level here. Maybe the new 6000 will have some major changes but as for now, both the Sony and JVC will leave it behind.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Thanks, I noticed the same about the black level performance, but why does the JVC oversaturate green colors? The Sony seems a better with color saturation.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    The Sony does have better color saturation, with that you are correct. I just toned down the color with mine, so it looks great, Im also pairing it up with a Calibre Vantage HD2 scaler so colors will be a non issue here. The Sony would be the cheaper route to take, but still the JVC throws a better picture. I guess it depends on what you want you know. Go for the Sony it can be had for around 2500-3000. This is the pearl model, the ruby is still 5-7k. but not worth it IMHO.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    The Sony does have better color saturation, with that you are correct. I just toned down the color with mine, so it looks great, Im also pairing it up with a Calibre Vantage HD2 scaler so colors will be a non issue here. The Sony would be the cheaper route to take, but still the JVC throws a better picture. I guess it depends on what you want you know. Go for the Sony it can be had for around 2500-3000. This is the pearl model, the ruby is still 5-7k. but not worth it IMHO.
    Have you considered other scalers such as a DVDO VP50?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    I have but the Vantage was my choice after seeing it in action in japan. The VP50 is a great scaler from what I heard. Paired with a scaler, the JVC is hard to beat. The vantage does give one color control, saturation as well. So with that, its hard to beat.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Looks like I will be going with the JVC then, as soon as my projector is sold.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts