Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What's needed to drive SDA's

Sooner or later I'm going to get a pair of SDAs. What's need to drive them. At this point I have a NAD 2400 which is 100wpc. Is this sufficient power? I would think this would work for some models.. Could someone tell me which models will work with this amp?

Thanks

I run SDA 1C with that much power but I don't play them real loud 14x16 room.

Running a parasound 2250 with 2100 pre, sounds good to me cept the SDA's need some mods.

100 real Watts from NAD is good, but depending on how loud you're playing. 3db = 2x power. I am super happy with my 130 WPC HK Citation 7.1 amp for my 1Cs.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It'll work with any SDA model. Will you get out of them what they are capable of? No effing way.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    It'll work with any SDA model. Will you get out of them what they are capable of? No effing way.
    This^^^^^^^^^
    If you stick with the later, unmodified 2 driver models like the CRS+ or 2Bs which are 6 ohm nominal, you should be OK at moderate levels. If you have a lead foot on the volume control, are using any of the earlier 4 ohm models, or later models with multiple drivers, It won't be pretty.
    Last edited by westmassguy; 10-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Most around here say do not atepmt to run them through a stand alone avr at all , but if you have an avr w/ preouts or are going w/ seperates go w/ 200 wpc a side and you will have more than enough juice to make them come alive. Adcoms are all over the place as are B&K, Bryston and many ,many other stand alone power amps on the used market.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

I was running a late model Yahama AVR w/ 120W/channel. My SRS's sounded really, really good. And let me say I think the Yamaha is very musical - absolutley killed the AVR it replaced of same power. Then I got separates - Pass pre-amp and a Parasound amp (high current and 200w/ch). Well, this killed the Yamy....

Lots of clean high current power allows any speakers to play louder, but also provides a level of clarity at lower volumes that low powered amps can't duplicate. F1 stated it pretty well.

Buy as much power as you can afford. I would consider 200 wpc minimum. As Tim the Toolman Taylor used to say, "More Power"
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Thread Information