Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Play toy

  1. #61
    Silverti
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audiobliss View Post
    YOUR generation? Which would that be? I'm 19. I'm pretty sure that would automatically put me in the group loving imports. However, I'm over here championing the Mustang and Camaro. It's not just purely about age. We're all individuals with our own personalities and our own personal preferences. Mine is domestics, usually.

    However, that doesn't mean I hate imports. I rather like an aesthetically pleasing, well done car that performs well, regardless of origin. But there's no denying I'm a sucker for that rumble and raw power of a V8. I also like imports, would like to have a few one day, and can appreciate one that's done well.

    Now, in this thread, I was recommending the Mustang and Camaro because of budget. You're talking about 30,000 and hanging with Ferraris. You can take a Mustang or Camaro for a total investment of $5,000 and easily make it a beast in a straight line and, if you so desire, make it handle, too.

    Two DRASTICALLY different budget levels.
    I wasnít responding to your post and you didnít make comments that asserted that Imports were no good for supping up so Iím not sure what you are arguing with because you didnít say anything that was inflammatory or incorrect to an auto enthusiast. But I could also just as easily say that you can pick up a great import for $5000 and sup it up just as easy and probably come out with a more balanced and reliable car then a $5000 Mustang or Camaro.

    Your generation is different than mine. In the mid 90ís people bought Hondas and that class of car. Kids like you today are more balanced because the offerings of new domestics and imports are different and there are a lot better made domestics out there to pick from. But in my day, the imports were generations ahead of domestics.

    Compare apples to apples in price.


    The simple fact that if you have money, you can take just about any car and make it fast over stock period. There are simply better platforms to make it happen. For example in my auto enthusiast world, you would never.. ever.. pick a FWD car for any kind of performance with the exceptions of a few gems like say a 99 Integra Type R.

  2. #62

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NC/AR
    Posts
    11,295

    Default

    Oh yeah, I'm all for a RX-7!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

    [2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35


    [In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII


    [Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

  3. #63

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    You have a LOT of room to grow with the F-body. There's a tremendous selection of parts available as far as handling, motor, chassis, etc.. I'd recommended a 98+ though, the LS1 motor is the way to go.

    As far as the RX-7, those old rotory motors are fun when they work and the apex seals aren't leaking. I'd avoid them unless they have a LS1 dropped into it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  4. #64

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Drexel Hill, Pa.
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post

    As far as the RX-7, those old rotory motors are fun when they work and the apex seals aren't leaking. I'd avoid them unless they have a LS1 dropped into it.

    All part of the game. Don't be a puss. I love V8's and have built them for fun and for customers (back in the day) but you can't be scared of something new.
    Last edited by MSALLA; 10-26-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    Michael


    Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880

  5. #65

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    Who's scared of something new? I have a few friends that have had and still own RX-7's. Those rotory motors are crap and aren't cheap to repair either. Two of them swapped to LS1's and couldn't be happier.

    If you want to talk about people being scared about doing new things, let's start a discussion on rear mounted turbos. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  6. #66

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Drexel Hill, Pa.
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    I disagree with them being crapbut the Ls1 in a small car like that is a good time.
    Rear mounted turbos............very cool. I haven't done it yet but I have seen them.
    Michael


    Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880

  7. #67

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverti View Post
    Wow lol, couldnít disagree any more...
    You know what's funny about you? You just don't know that you don't know.


    A punk can be any age. I've met punks in their teens and punks in their 50's. It spans all generations.

    As for the rest of your post, audiobliss said it right. Imports do not fit the budget. They are no where near your best "bang for the buck" at all. The biggest reason all the "older guys" that are still stuck in the past recommend American iron is because it's not costly at all. Especially when compared to imports. Besides, for "bang for the buck" I do believe that Fox chassied Mustangs still take that title and will likely do so for a long time. A $30K STi may be hot stuff on a race track but if one took a 1984 SVO Mustang and dropped 30K in to that, including the price of the car, it'd take your STi to school. There's your apples to apples, the only difference is the STi has AWD and that's a disadvantage on a track like the NŁrburgring. The Mustang will end up lighter, balanced much better with better suspension geometry and the turbocharged 4-cylinder in racing trim will punch out 450+ horses all day long, 350 on pump gas. It'd still have a useful interior, unlike the STi which sounds like BB's rattling around in an empty coffee can. I know that from experience with both cars. It's old but not a "60's Mustang" by far. The "younger generations" overlook it because it's a "Mustang", the bane of the ricer's existence. The older generations overlook it because it has fuel injection and turbochargers and they just don't want to deal with it. People like me love it because a boring old Mustang pulls up at the light next to a "supped up Import" and the backwards-hat-wearing-know-it-all-punk looks down his nose at it until the green light drops. I've watched many "import enthusiasts" get their aft regions handed to them by some "old guy" with an ancient relic like a 66 Belvedere.

    It's not about price, it's about performance and the most expensive part is not always the best part. A system of parts is only as good as it's weakest part, no matter how much it costs. Real performance lies in how well those parts work together, not how much they cost.

    For a guy who gets so bent out of shape at "generalizations" and "inflammatory" remarks to auto enthusiasts that are "incorrect", you sure do make alot of generalizations and assumptions yourself. I honestly wonder how old you think I am.


    Lastly, since you decided to harp on one section of my post where I mentioned imports, why not use your nifty little search engine and go and look up some racing results, especially club racing results from across the country. Most tracks will post results to their websites. Take a look at what's winning races. It's not Hondas or Nissans or Subarus or Mitsubishis. It's Mazdas and BMWs and Porsches and even Lotuses (Loti?). Those are the cars that are going up against the Corvettes and Vipers and Camaros and Mustangs and either hanging right there with them or beating then. Cars like Civics and Sentras and even S2000's get put in different classes because they cannot compete on those levels. Imprezas and Lancers rarely see track duty because they are not suited too it. The AWD systems carry too much unsprung weight and they do not respond quickly enough. Rally racing and autocross they excel at because those types of events do not require the high responsiveness that high speed turns and hard braking do. But that's right, I'm just "older folk in to old cars like my parents". What the hell could I possibly know?

    You make alot of claims that you back up with nothing more than the implication that you are an auto enthusiast. That's nothing more than ego stroking. Get real dude and go take a look at the actual cost of your $5K argument and then we'll see how well it really holds up.


    I gave my suggestions, I'm out of this thread, sorry for the derail.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Play Station 2
    By bassaholic in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
  2. DVD-A player won't play DVD-A?
    By Early B. in forum Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
  3. What DVD player can play...
    By eulogyt00l in forum Electronics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 06:06 AM
  4. two can play at that game.
    By ariadne in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 11:13 PM
  5. What did you play......
    By TroyD in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-21-2002, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts