Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Outdoor TV antennas?

I have been on DishNetwork for years, however, I still have an old outdoor TV antenna (that came with the house when we bought it in 2003). The antenna is probably as old as the house which was built in 1994.

A couple of the antenna "arms" are broken. I assume this antenna can pick up HD broadcasts but are there any newer and better antennas on the market to aid in HD reception. I am 50-60 miles from the closest major TV market.

thanks joe
    Receiver: Denon AVR1800

Speakers: Subwoofer: Velodyne FSX-12; Sides: Polk Audio Monitor 7; Center: Polk Audio CS400i Rear: Polk Audio FX500i;

Two channel (new). McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC275 50th Aniversary limited edition Amplifier, RegaP5 turntable, aerial Acoustics 7T speakers

DVD: Panasonic; BlueRay Magnavox

TV: Sony Bravia 46NX700
    TV: Sony Bravia 55HX720
    TV: Toshiba 52HMX94

These older antennas are still the best because they are big and mounted high, the key variables to better reception in analog as well as digital HD broadcasts.

Not sure how the disrepair will affect your reception. So a newer antenna (same type) might be better just because it's not as banged up.

I think plugging that antenna in might be worth the effort, if for no other reason, just to satisfy my curiosity. The Coax still comes into the house and is in location with the Dish coax.

I am old enough to remember the "old" days when everybody had outdoor antennas and the real "high tech" families were the ones with rotators on their masts. ;)

The current antenna is not too high up in the air, so I might want to add a section of mast also..... one step at a time.

If it doesn't work well, what would be a good new antenna?

Speakers: Subwoofer: Velodyne FSX-12; Sides: Polk Audio Monitor 7; Center: Polk Audio CS400i Rear: Polk Audio FX500i;

Two channel (new). McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC275 50th Aniversary limited edition Amplifier, RegaP5 turntable, aerial Acoustics 7T speakers

Member Sales Rating: (2)

You need a good UHF section; virtually all OTA digital TV is in the UHF (a very few stations are on "high" VHF channel frequencies). As long as your "aerial" has that, it'll be good.
    A small multiple bay bow-tie antenna is very, very good for modern OTA TV. www.mcminone.com for example has decent ones.

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.co...?af=&w=antenna
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
    If it doesn't work well, what would be a good new antenna?
    I think my point is that outdoor antennas are good. And they still sell these types of antenna's new. They sell indoor 'digital antennas' with the fancy blade shapes. But these are really nothing more than glorified rabbit ears with the 'hd' name tacked on just for marketing purposes.

You will find it is somewhat easier to get acceptable reception with an indoor antenna just because digital signals tend to be an all or nothing affair eliminating all that snow and ghosting that plagued old rabbit ears. However, when you get to the limits of the antenna's reception, it still cuts out. And a large, old school antenna mounted high up on a mast will still have the best potential reception.
    Last edited by cheddar; 07-02-2010 at 09:50 AM.

I should add that I find the OTA signals much better than pay for service ones like cable. They compress pay for service signals to get around bandwidth issues. So the OTA signals with an antenna are probably the best quality HD you can get for broadcast HD.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
    The Coax still comes into the house and is in location with the Dish coax.
    If it's that easy, what are you waiting for? I tried several indoor antennas and got barely adequate reception. There is a large outdoor antenna in my attic, just lying on the floor, that came with my house. Probably about the same age as yours. That gave me 95%+ reception on all my HD channels and it's not even mounted on the roof. Go for it.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The FCC has a decent website where you can enter your location and it will give you an idea of what you should be able to receive.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

Also, Solid Signal is a well known antenna source - have dealt with them for years.

http://www.solidsignal.com/
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )

Quote Originally Posted by Disc Jockey View Post
    If it's that easy, what are you waiting for? I tried several indoor antennas and got barely adequate reception. There is a large outdoor antenna in my attic, just lying on the floor, that came with my house. Probably about the same age as yours. That gave me 95%+ reception on all my HD channels and it's not even mounted on the roof. Go for it.
    except for the rats nest of wires that i have to look thru to get to the right one.

actually, I just thought of another question pertaining to this thread and the coax issue. This set up is in my basement. I fixed up the room a few years ago and ran Cat5 to the tv's and other extensions where there are electrical outlets.

the Cat 5 cable is in the wall (hanging out of the box) , just not hooked up to an outlet.... I didn't have a need for it then, but now maybe.... can you use Cat5 in place of coax and is it better?

Thread Information