Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (39)

Default Musical Fidelity 3.2 CD Player - any thoughts?

Currently, I am rocking the combo of a mid-fi universal player (PE 45av) and Theta Pro Progeny DAC for my 2-channel source.

I have so far been happy with the results, especially since the cost is less than most higher end dedicated CD players. My setup gives me the abillity to watch DVDs, listen to SACD, and enjoy high quality CD sound.

However, it looks like I'll be picking put a MF 3.2 CD player. Don't need it, not sure it will be an upgrade, but I was sold an item that didn't work as advertised, so I am trading it in for that player.

It matches my Integrated which will be make for a great look in my stand.

Anyone own one? Any thoughts? I may try it up against my current setup and just go with the one that sounds best. It will be a very easy A-B comparison, just go from Aux to CD on the integrateds remote.

Also, they would share a remote which is nice, too.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850

Or, I think I could get a Arcam DV-88plus instead. Looks like a solid player as well and would have DVD playback as well, but my main concern is CD playback for this rig.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I have always wanted one of these; haven't heard one, but my guess is you're going to like it, ALOT. MF's boast extremely low jitter, one of the few companies that actually list jitter as a specification.

If you get it and find it's not your cup of tea, send me an email Andy. I may take it off your hands...

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

yeah, I figure it would at least be worth some play time in my rack.

It sure as hell looks pretty. I have zero experience with any sources above say my Pioneer Elite 59avi / 45av through the Theta. I'm sure this will best that. . .
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850

Member Sales Rating: (6)

You are already aware of MF's build quality and the MF "sound" I think your gonna like it.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 10-22-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I wonder if the Musical Fidelity 3.2 CD player is having some of the same issues as the TriVista CDP. Jesse or Ted may have a better idea if that is the case. Transport problems (and the inability to correct) if I recall. The 3.2 may have none of those issues but I would at least check it out.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for it.

Is the issue mechanical? Like Discs physically won't load? Or more of a software issues?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Only the MF Tri-Vista, the original Krell SACD Standard and some Marantz players used a certain Philips SACD transport that fails. Philips won't do anything about it, so the players can not be repaired. Your CD player is not affected.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy as I've heard the MF 3.2 will smoke comparable Jolida models. . . even a Formula One modded one.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Just don't over pay for one. a few weeks ago they were going for $450'ish on audiogon (maybe even cheaper, because you don't know the final sale price) Now they are listing for quite a bit more, but not selling...

just an FYI...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Cool. Mine is a different situation as I bought an amp from a seller that didn't work as described. We agreed upon an exchange for a similarly priced item and the MF 3.2 was the best of what else he had available.

$450 sounds like a great price. That's way below what I've been seeing. I've always tried to keep an eye out for prices on MF gear.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGwis View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy as I've heard the MF 3.2 will smoke comparable Jolida models. . . even a Formula One modded one.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

As my modded unit has never been compared head to head with the MF 2.3, I don't know how anyone could make that claim. That said, it paled in comparision to the MF Tri-Vista and it should have.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Philips won't do anything about it, so the players can not be repaired.
    Wow shame on Philips,the MF and Krell would then just become expensive door stops. :(

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    As my modded unit has never been compared head to head with the MF 2.3, I don't know how anyone could make that claim. That said, it paled in comparision to the MF Tri-Vista and it should have.
    I just made that up to razz you a bit, F1. You're still my hero.
    Last edited by AndyGwis; 10-22-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Har, har......please take me off the hero list, just another guy here.

I look forward to your impressions. :)

No deal, you're staying on the hero list, F1.

Impressions will probably amount to: "it's so pretty" or "I think it makes my other pieces feel insecure." I'm not big on technical lingo and/or how to describe what I hear yet.

I'll be sure to post something when it arrives. Thanks for the help, chaps.

"I think it makes my other pieces feel insecure."
    LOL.....

Thread Information