Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Gallo Ref 3.1 vs PMC FB1/GB1

I'd appreciate any opinions regarding these speakers. I auditioned these speakers from two different dealers with different equipment, but I'm having a hard time making a decision.

Generally speaking, it seemed that the Ref 3.1 directed most of my attention to the details of the specific instruments & vocals, as it drew a larger soundstage and excellent imaging. The PMC just gave me a more foot tapping experience.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Hi Loco and welcome.
    I have not had a chance to demo the FB1 or GB1 yet, but I did listen to the OB1. It was hooked up to an $8000 Krell multi channel amp and the combo was excellent. A very nice speaker. I see that the other PMC's have 1 less driver than the OB1 and that will probably effect mid-bass response and of course the lower end. The OB1 was almost double in price than the Gallos so I passed.

I now own the Gallos and love them. Placement is key with them, as is the right amplification. A few pointers if you decide to demo the Gallos again:

1- Be sure they are broken in. They are a diferent speaker when broken in. They are too constrained and nasally before break in.

2- The 3.1's have a very wide dispersion tweeter, but the mids are more conventional. I find that they improve greatly with some toe in.

3- They do not image as tall as they do wide. Due to this, there are a few aftermarket companies that make stands to elevate them. I use the custom Sound Anchor stands. It helps with them elevated.

Keep us informed on what you do.
    Venom
    Let me tell you something about life, around every corner monsters await. I know, I am one.

If I owned hell and this place, I would rent this place out and live in hell.

Mains: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
    Preamp: Modwright SWL9.0SE
    Amps: Butler TBD2250, PS Audio Trio
    PrePro: Cary Cinema 6, Outlaw 990
    DAC: Benchmark DAC1
    Universal Player: Denon 2900
    Cables: StraightWire Encore II, Kimber Hero, Audioquest Type 4, CV-8, Columbia DBS
    Power Conditioner: Belkin PF60

Thread Information