Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default not blown...but what? kim!?!

hey kim

whats up?
    well im experiencing a bit of a problem
    one of my mm120s pops at louder levels
    it sounds great at low and i can crank it pretty good before itll start doing it
    but i dont think its over excursion or clipping
    the box is .88ft ^3
    theres polyfill in it
    i have a rf bd1000 pushing it and another
    but the other isnt making the noise
    is it defective
    its been doing it since ive got it many moons ago but i never had the chance to ask about it
    what should i do?
    thanks
    -Cody

Polk Customer Service

Cody,
    Does the enclosure have a air tight seal? This can cause the woofer to "pop" due to a loss of back pressure or vacuum.
    If the enclosure checks out try swapping woofers. If the problem still exists send em in for exchange. The address is Polk Audio 2550 Britannia Boulevard Suite D San Diego, CA. 92154. Include the necessary paper work such as a copy of your receipt, daytime telephone number along with your return shipping address.
    If you have any questions call us at 800-377-7655 and we will be glad to help.

Kim

kim's right about the seal -- the least little leak in the box could cause wacky sounds at high volume levels....

something u also might wnat to try is re-aiming the woofer--- dont ask me why cuz i'm not sure yet -- maybe someone else has a better explaintion for the physics behind it but --- if you re-aim a woofer -- like if its back / forward firing... fire it down... it may decrease the amount of "junk" you hear at higher volumes. if its not a real bad pop and it sounds like it might just be the physical movement of the cone at a high volume, try shooting it down and see if it stil makes that sound (at least audibily)
    "With your own attitude it is hard to survive here... But who gives a damn, we are here to change the world, and we dont need a password for that."
    - Anurag

i looked over the box once to see if there was an air leak but didnt find one
    ill look again more meticulously
    thanks for the advice dodge but re aiming my sub is not impossible...but not in the best interests
    you see i have a custom enclosure that fits nice and neat under the back seat of my truck
    so its pretty much one way or no way
    thanks though
    -Cody

eh well under a back seat is the kind of spot that would "eliminate" unusual noises anyway -- so if youre getting funky sounds you're right, it's probably a box / speaker problem --- probably the speaker.

g'luck.
    "With your own attitude it is hard to survive here... But who gives a damn, we are here to change the world, and we dont need a password for that."
    - Anurag

Thread Information