Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salk Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Salk Speakers

Has anyone heard Salk speakers? I think they are absolutely beautiful and I am daydreaming about my future audio set up (keeps my mind off of my current dilemma).

http://www.salksound.com/
    Attached Images  
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

They have an interesting driver selection and what appears to be excellent woodwork. It's much like Tyler Acoustics, nothing stands out but I bet they at least sound good.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Salk is very similar to Tyler Acoustics - like mentioned above...

Top quality drivers, crossovers and craftsmenship ---

The biggest difference between him and Ty is his stuff is rather pricey from the get go... lol
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I would stick with Tyler Acoustics over Salk for two very important reasons:

1. price

2. quality

Sure, the Salk website says they use premium crossover components, but they don't tell you which components they use. The term, "premium" can be loosely interpreted. I really admire the fact that Ty tells you up front exactly which premium crossover components are going into each speaker so you can do your own research.

However, Salk makes much nicer looking speakers, but that's a large part of what you're paying for. If aesthetics are very important to you, then Salk certainly has tremendous appeal in that category because you can customize your speakers.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Aesthetics are extremely important too me but not at the expense of sound. They sure are purdy though.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

I remember someone comparing the two saying that Tyler focuses on the quality of sound first and foremost, while Salk focuses on having beautiful cabinets first and foremost.

From my impressions Salk goes for the high quality speaker components + a high quality nice looking enclosure, and the prices reflect that.

Honestly --

You wont see me paying 1-2 thousand more for prett(ier) cabinets...

Ty has some FANTASTIC veneers to choose from -- what more could you need?

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

But has anyone actually HEARD the Salks?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    Honestly --

You wont see me paying 1-2 thousand more for prett(ier) cabinets...

Ty has some FANTASTIC veneers to choose from -- what more could you need?
    Same here, but aesthetics play a big role with me. Especially the WAF...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    Cool. Thanks
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Wow...I need to hear those HT3's ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Speaker Audition

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
    Has anyone heard Salk speakers? ...
    wingnut, you might want to follow any updates on this thread from AVS (I'll also post a link when I read them). This group had a blind listening test this weekend including some Salks (that arrived late and were not included in the initial list). The full results have not been posted yet but here are the most significant excerpts IMO from the 155 posts in the thread at the time of writing this message:

The listening list: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12174488
    First impressions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12188757
    More results: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12191776
    More comment: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=148

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Both Tyler and Salk products use a similar recipe; good drivers, solid/handsome cab, with a no frills standard crossover. That said, I err more to the side of Salk sound. Why - you ask?

I could say its because I typically like ribbon drivers over dynamic cones and domes, but thats only half-true. The real reason is due to the man behind Salk speakers, Dennis Murphy. I've encountered a number of his designs and regard each one of them to be top-notch. Not to discredit the experienced folks at Madisound (who design all Tyler products), but I get the 'feel goods' whenever I know a bona-fide guru invested effort into a product. Thats what gets my juices flowin'.

On the aesthetics side; we've got a different animal. Although Ty uses very fine and handsome veneering that results in a very attractive speaker; Salk Sound is a master craftsman who's work comes out like a piece of art you can stick right into a museum. You will be hard pressed to find anyone that can do what Jim Salk does - and at the price he does it for.

That said; I haven't heard the Salks or the Tyler equivalent. However, I am pretty confident that I know how both would sound within a 80-90% degree of accuracy. My full bets are on the Salks for the W (to my ears).

Meanwhile, some eye-candy....

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Darla,I have heard the Salks......excellant sound and build quality.Worth every penny.You can grab them used for around 4 g's.Very musical speaker and a finish to die for.Haven't heard the Tylers so can't really say whats what on a comparison.But I can say,I could easily live with the HT3's for a very long time.Compared to my Legacy Focus they are every bit as good on the top end and mids,the Focus grabs them though in the bass dept.Not to say the Salks are no push over either in the lower regions but the Legacy's have it all over 'em down there.Need some decent electronics to make them shine.Grab a pair...resale is pretty good on those baby's.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Aesthetics are extremely important too me but not at the expense of sound. They sure are purdy though.
    OK, then I say go for it. Definitely.

Have you started picking out your veneer colors?:p

Go to audiocircle and spend some time reading their forum and looking at the pretty pictures. When you buy them, don't stop with the fronts. Make sure you order a matching center channel.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Oh my, no. I have not picked out anything yet. I am just researching for when things turn around for me. Law of attraction you know.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Here are the review notes of one of those present at that audition (it's a quite lengthy post): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12195175

Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    Here are the review notes of one of those present at that audition (it's a quite lengthy post): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12195175
    These links are not for the HT3,but for the song tower,not what Darla is looking at.Audio circles has a good following of the HT3.Check for reviews there.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Pioneer 59AVI
    Pioneer BDP 320
    50 in. Pioneer Kuro pdp 5010
    FX 500 surround
    Reality cables
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Cary Xciter dac

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    These links are not for the HT3,but for the song tower,not what Darla is looking at.Audio circles has a good following of the HT3.Check for reviews there.
    True, I didn't know that when I read the OP though. The Song Towers are quite boring looking IMO too: http://www.salksound.com/songtower.shtml.

Isn't that the V3 Darla is looking at: http://www.salksound.com/v3.shtml?

Ht3 buddy.....HT3.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

But can they rock out Zeppelin at 5.2 giga-watts?

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

I have heard Salk speakers more than a couple of times. They sound and look amazing.
    Make it Funky! :)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Salk, didn't he develop the polio vaccine? What the hell would he know about good sound?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

May not know about sound but I love the look of those bad boys.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I never knew this site existed and ran across it completely by accident this evening. I am not certain whether it is "kosher" to post on Polk's site, but since the thread was basically comparing our products to Tyler Acoustics products, I thought I could at least address some of the questions brought up.

First off, Ty is a great guy. I last saw him at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest where we didn't have too much time to talk, but shared a few thoughts. He builds some very nice speakers. And, of course, anyone who uses Seas Excel drivers puts himself in a rather elite group.

One question asked above is what "premium" crossover components we use. We obviously use many suppliers, but in our Veracity line, they are mainly Alphacore foil inductors, Sonicaps and Mills resistors. Of course, since all of our speakers are basically custom built, you can have virtually anything you want if you prefer other components.

The crossovers in most of our speakers were designed by Dennis Murphy. In addition to having the technical skills most good crossover designers possess, Dennis has the most well-developed listening skills I have ever come across. He is a practicing classical musician and he knows how things should sound. I have had the good fortune of being able to build many speakers by many talented designers. Dennis Murphy crossover designs are consistently first class and in a league by themselves.

As for drivers, our top end models all utilize pure ribbon tweeters. There is a crystal clear transparency with ribbons that you just can't match with a traditional dome tweeter. Not that we don't like dome tweeters mind you. Our newest entry-level design (the SongTower QWT's) features one of my favorite dome tweeters - the Hiquphon OW2's.

We use high-fi drivers (as opposed to mid-fi drivers) in most all of our designs. Seas Excel drivers are one example. Another is the woofer used in our HT3 model. It is custom manufactured for us by TC Sounds, probably the best subwoofer manufacturer on the planet.

As for our cabinets, they range from the simple, straight-forward, cost-effective SongTower QWT transmission line cabinet, to the complicated and labor-intensive cabinets we build for our HT3's. We use only raw veneers on our cabinets. They are much more labor intensive than the sheet goods used by almost all other speaker manufacturers, but the selection is virtually unlimited and the quality of the veneers is simply not available in backed form.

Our goal is to build truly world-class speakers at a price that is within reach. While our speakers are not necessarily inexpensive, we feel they are all very good values. If you ever happen to run across our speakers on the used market (which isn't all that often), you will see that they maintain their value very well.

If anyone would like to investigate our offerings, I would be more than happy to try and arrange an audition with one of our owners. Simply contact me via the address on our web site.

Thanks,

- Jim

Stronzo

Jim,

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to get my ear on those Songtowers and HT3's. I may send you an e-mail in the near future to see if anyone in the southern VA area has a pair.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

But has anyone actually HEARD the Salks?
    Never heard or heard of them until now wingnut. They sure do look nice tho. I'm sure they sound just as impressive. :)

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Jim, welcome to Club Polk.

It is expected from all newbies to give away something on a "karma". Yes, it can be "B" stock.

Just kidding of course (or am I? :)).

Your speakers are absolutely beautiful and people write good things about their sound. I went from Tylers to Thiels....maybe a pair of Salks is in my future....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Nice explanation, Jim; anyone who makes good speakers and has a last name of four letters that ends in a "K" is welcome here. ;)

Thread Information