Well, we finally sold our house and I now have time/money for some upgrades!
Here's what I currently have:
Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver (mid-level receiver, supposed 140wpc and has preouts)
Polk Monitor 60's for the fronts
Polk Monitor 30's for surrounds
Paradigm Ultracube 10 sub (not the deepest but i'm happy with what it does for movies for me)
The center died a while ago so i'm currently without a center.
Yamaha DVD player (about 6 years old)
The other day I bought a pair of LSI 15's and hooked them up. I like the sound, but i'm a bit underwhelmed by the improvement -- I thought it would better.
I'm currently more interested in improving the quality of music than HT, since even with my old speakers HT sounded just fine to me. In addition to standard CD's I do like to listen to music videos (such as the Eagles Fairwell Tour I) in 5.1.
Here's what i'm thinking of upgrading, in this order. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions or opinions.
1. Buy an amp. I'm currently looking at a B&K 200.5 (200w @ 8) on Agon for $1250.
2. Buy some good interconnects. I'm looking at Signal Cable, probably either their Audio Two or Silver lines.
2. Buy a DVD player. I'm thinking of getting a used Denon 3910 Universal player, with hopes of getting a good audio boost in addition to the mutli-format capabilities mine now lacks.
3. Buy a preamp. I'm thinking of an Adcom 750, which has an HT bypass. Theoretically i'd route the fronts from my Yamaha receiver through the preamp so that for 5.1 i'd be using my receiver and for 2-channel the receiver would be left out completely.
4. Buy a center speaker - LSiC
5. Buy new surrounds - LSiFX.
6. Upgrade the speaker cables. I currently have some form of mid-level Monster speaker cables (I know, they suck)
Thoughts or suggestions?