Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best IPOD Dock?

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Default Best IPOD Dock?

Well as you all know I'm a youngin so using the latest gadgets is something I enjoy. I have decided against buying a CD player for my new 2 channel rig for now(probably because I own less than 15 CD's) and go for a nice IPOD dock.

Yes, we all know that the Shanling MC30 exists for a cool $1000 but anyone who spends that on an ipod dock needs to have a doctor examine them. In my search last night I came across this product:
    http://www.dlo.com/products/homedoc_...36898669418849

The software interface for the TV/computer display looks really nice to use and I figure with an attached LCD to my 2ch rig I'll be able to navigate from a distance no problem without having to worry about looking at the Ipod.

It has very high reviews and actually looks significantly better than any other dock I've seen on the market in this price range. Here is a review where youc an see the remote up close:
    http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/dlo_homedock_deluxe

It actually looks like a legit sized remote with batteries rather than those little cheap plastic things you get with the normal docks. I plan to write up a better review when my new amp arrives and this arrives but I am hoping it will suite my needs especially since i plan on going for one of those larger ipods soon(hopefully xmas).

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Are you set on playing your music from your ipod? could you listen to the music off your computer? if so then you might want to seriously look at the Squeezebox. It is a fantastic product. I love mine.

You can get $50 off a white one by using the link below.

LINK

There is also the Arcam rDoc. Not sure how much it costs but Arcam makes solid products

http://www.arcam.co.uk/rDock/index.html
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg View Post
    Are you set on playing your music from your ipod? could you listen to the music off your computer? if so then you might want to seriously look at the Squeezebox. It is a fantastic product. I love mine.

LINK

There is also the Arcam rDoc. Not sure how much it costs but Arcam makes solid products

My biggest selling point on this was to be able to hook up a monitor and have essentially a giant ipod screen, something that Squeezebox doesn't offer or the Arcam

I can't tell you how many times I'm sitting from a distance and the little ipod screen is too hard to see even though my remote controls it. Since this is a dedicated 2ch rig I am going to either hook up a 15-17 inch LCD monitor to use while I am laying in bed, etc.

EDIT: The Arcam dock is $231 US
    Last edited by BaggedLancer; 11-15-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg View Post

LINK

Beat me to it. A much better option.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedLancer View Post
    My biggest selling point on this was to be able to hook up a monitor and have essentially a giant ipod screen, something that Squeezebox doesn't offer or the Arcam

I can't tell you how many times I'm sitting from a distance and the little ipod screen is too hard to see even though my remote controls it. Since this is a dedicated 2ch rig I am going to either hook up a 15-17 inch LCD monitor to use while I am laying in bed, etc.

EDIT: The Arcam dock is $231 US
    I think you will be very disappointed by the iPod video on a big screen but maybe someone else can offer up some experience with that.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
    I think you will be very disappointed by the iPod video on a big screen but maybe someone else can offer up some experience with that.
    No no, i don't want to watch video's on the big screen, nor will it be a big screen. 15-17 LCD monitor at the largest.

All I wanted was something I could navigate through my songs easy using the provided remote. I doubt I will EVER put a video on my Ipod.

No no, i don't want to watch video's on the big screen, nor will it be a big screen. 15-17 LCD monitor at the largest.

All I wanted was something I could navigate through my songs easy using the provided remote. I doubt I will EVER put a video on my Ipod.
    Ohhhh. The Squeezebox display is a pretty good size and you can adjust the font size. As well you can choose from the computer menu so it can be as large as your screen.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
    Ohhhh. The Squeezebox display is a pretty good size and you can adjust the font size. As well you can choose from the computer menu so it can be as large as your screen.
    Essentially the same thing with the computer menu......now we are talking a couple hundred dollar price difference. The dock I posted can be had for anywhere from $50-$80 on various sites whereas the squeeze box is $300 or $250 if you get it on sale with that link.

And since I take my music with me all the time(i live on my ipod while commuting 1 hour each way to school) the Ipod solution is perfect. Planning for xmas to upgrade to the 160g classic.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

if you are interested in all out SQ then check out www.AudioLineOut.net they make audiophile quality dock cables for IPods so you can go directly to RCAs, etc. That is, of course, if you don't mind using the IPod controls to change songs.

edit....i see that you are interested in the navigation screen and i can't help you there, but anyway, if you feel like it check these out.
    Last edited by freeride1685; 11-15-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1685 View Post
    if you are interested in all out SQ then check out www.AudioLineOut.net they make audiophile quality dock cables for IPods so you can go directly to RCAs, etc. That is, of course, if you don't mind using the IPod controls to change songs.

edit....i see that you are interested in the navigation screen and i can't help you there, but anyway, if you feel like it check these out.
    Pretty nice, but REALLY expensive. I like keeping little things like this on the chaper side. :D

Marantz makes one that has video out and has an IR remote

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1837.asp
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

Quote Originally Posted by ledhed View Post
    Marantz makes one that has video out and has an IR remote

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1837.asp
    Doesn't come with the remote though and I really don't want to be buying another Harmony. I bought that home deluxe today and going to give it a try.

Actually it does come with the remote. It just isn't in the picture
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I would go for the Krell.....Just because i am pretty sure that about 3 people actually bought one.....
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Quote Originally Posted by ledhed View Post
    Actually it does come with the remote. It just isn't in the picture
    nevermind, i need to work on my reading skills.

I thought it was just remote ready for people who use a harmony or similiar.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1685 View Post

I'm with freeride here. Just get a nice, long mini-to-IC cable from AQ, Kimber, etc. That's what I did and have been very pleased with the results. A 3m cable was perfect.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Quote Originally Posted by I-SIG View Post
    I'm with freeride here. Just get a nice, long mini-to-IC cable from AQ, Kimber, etc. That's what I did and have been very pleased with the results. A 3m cable was perfect.

Wes
    Problem with that is it doesn't charge the ipod.

Plug the iPod into your PC while you are taking a shower or sleeping or watching a movie or whatever. There's plenty of time to charge it.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Plug the iPod into your PC while you are taking a shower or sleeping or watching a movie or whatever. There's plenty of time to charge it.

Wes
    Sometimes, but I kinda live on my ipod, I take it with me when i leave for school and then come home and plug it right into the rig.

Speaking of which, anyone know how long the batteries last in those new classics?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Please let us know how the new dock works out for you! I'm curious if it's sluggish and worth the money (not that I really need one).

I have an 80gb classic and the battery life is decent. On my last greyhound trip I shut it off as I was arriving and just before it died (into the red for about 20 mins). The trip was about 9 hours and probably an hour of that was watching tv episodes. The rest was music with very little song skipping at about half to 2/3 volume.

Supposed to be rated for 30hrs with the 80gb and 40hrs for the 160? BTW, most of the music I was listening to is ripped at 192kbps.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

You might consider acquiring another MP3 or IPOD you could leave with your system. I have a couple of Creative ZEN Visions which I use at home, and on the go. It is convenient to sync them with each other; both are video compatible with the TV screen.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by michael_w View Post
    Please let us know how the new dock works out for you! I'm curious if it's sluggish and worth the money (not that I really need one).

I have an 80gb classic and the battery life is decent. On my last greyhound trip I shut it off as I was arriving and just before it died (into the red for about 20 mins). The trip was about 9 hours and probably an hour of that was watching tv episodes. The rest was music with very little song skipping at about half to 2/3 volume.

Supposed to be rated for 30hrs with the 80gb and 40hrs for the 160? BTW, most of the music I was listening to is ripped at 192kbps.
    Absolutely I'll let you know. I still haven't found a 15" LCD screen on the cheap with either S-Video or Composite Video inputs, but I am looking. I figure if I get a 160g for xmas and rip all my music at 320kbps it should make for an outstanding sound through my new Jolida I just bought.

This dock will work out perfect for me with the monitor interface, the charging ability, and it's aesthetically pleasing and matches the Jolida.

I'll update soon as it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
    You might consider acquiring another MP3 or IPOD you could leave with your system. I have a couple of Creative ZEN Visions which I use at home, and on the go. It is convenient to sync them with each other; both are video compatible with the TV screen.
    Problem with that is only 1 Ipod is allow to sync with 1 computer I believe. I would need a second Ipod and a second install of itunes to manage the 2nd one. I THINK, don't quote me on that, but i tried plugging in a friends Ipod and it wouldn't let me sync it on my computer.

Member Sales Rating: (39)

I might get something like this for my 2-channel rig eventually as well. I want my 2-channel rig to excel at 2-channel, high end CD and even some vinyl, but still be convenient with a 19" LCD screen, iPod capability, etc.

I bought a 19" westinghouse LTV-19w6 and like it, besides the fact that it has speakers that are worse than my laptop. But, considering it's hooked up to a multi-thousand dollar rig, I think I'll be okay. I plan to have this 2-channel rig in my office (once I move out of my apartment), so the LCD screen will be good for movie/tv watching when I'm in their working.

Member Sales Rating: (39)

Bagged, did you get it off Amazon? What is the newest / best model to get if I go with this DLO product? Looks like I can get a like new one off Amazon (the 009-9800) which I assume is the newest one for like $60 shipped.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Does this DLO dock even support the new generation of ipods?

Yes it supports the newest version of Ipods(classic is the same as the older ones just bigger HD) and I got mine off ebay.

Not sure of compatibility iwth the Itouch but who would actually buy that?
    Last edited by BaggedLancer; 11-16-2007 at 12:39 PM.

I figure if I get a 160g for xmas and rip all my music at 320kbps it should make for an outstanding sound through my new Jolida I just bought.
    Go ALE or go home!!! (especially with 160GB!)

Wes

Go ALE or go home!!! (especially with 160GB!)

Wes
    But I am home?

Maybe I'll go outside....

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Problem with that is only 1 Ipod is allow to sync with 1 computer I believe. I would need a second Ipod and a second install of itunes to manage the 2nd one. I THINK, don't quote me on that, but i tried plugging in a friends Ipod and it wouldn't let me sync it on my computer.
    I can't speak for IPOD devices since I have Creative brand devices. But in their case (Creative) you can sync devices, songs, and playlists, to each other as well as the PC.
    [

Thread Information