Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default Important question about dedicated 20amp circuits...

    As many of you know, I've been having a really hard time locating my electrical hum in my room. Well, think I've narrowed it down but I need some help. The power going to my projector is on the same circuit as my recessed lighting which are on Lutron dimmers. Well, I have dual 20 amp receptacles in my room, one on the right side of the room, one on the left. The 20 amp on the right is powering all the gear and the only thing the one on the left is powering is my SVS. I can easily get to the 20 amp on the left side of the room with a little work so my question is, should I run the power off my projector to the 20 amp?

    If so, do I have to replace the 20 amp receptacle with a standand 15 amp receptacle or can I just leave the 20 amp receptacle in place and put a standard 15 amp receptacle at the projector? When I run an extension cord from the projector to the dedicated 20 amp on the left, my hum goes away even with the lights on. As you can tell, I know nothing about electrical wiring so before I do this, I need your help. Thanks in advance.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimster74 View Post
    As many of you know, I've been having a really hard time locating my electrical hum in my room. Well, think I've narrowed it down but I need some help. The power going to my projector is on the same circuit as my recessed lighting which are on Lutron dimmers. Well, I have dual 20 amp receptacles in my room, one on the right side of the room, one on the left. The 20 amp on the right is powering all the gear and the only thing the one on the left is powering is my SVS. I can easily get to the 20 amp on the left side of the room with a little work so my question is, should I run the power off my projector to the 20 amp?

    If so, do I have to replace the 20 amp receptacle with a standand 15 amp receptacle or can I just leave the 20 amp receptacle in place and put a standard 15 amp receptacle at the projector? When I run an extension cord from the projector to the dedicated 20 amp on the left, my hum goes away even with the lights on. As you can tell, I know nothing about electrical wiring so before I do this, I need your help. Thanks in advance.
    i am an electrician and the only thing i can say is that 20 amp receptacles and 15 amp receptacles is only a marketing thing. the ONLY place where we sometimes use 20 amp receptacles is commercial buildings

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default

    So here is my next question, at the panel box I have a 20 amp breaker on the 20 amp receptacle. Can I tap off of that 20 amp receptacle and go down to a 15 amp receptacle at the projector or should I put a 20 amp receptacle at the projector also? Or do I swap out the breaker at the box with a 15 amp and replace all the receptacles with 15 amp receptacles?
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Climbing that pole...in your backyard
    Posts
    4,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    i am an electrician and the only thing i can say is that 20 amp receptacles and 15 amp receptacles is only a marketing thing. the ONLY place where we sometimes use 20 amp receptacles is commercial buildings
    He's right, the receptacles are pretty much the same. If you can do it, run a dedecated 20A circuit to the audio setup and get a good line conditioner. It's not the devices that are the problem, it's what's called a ground loop. Any number of things could be putting noise on the circuit. Dimmers flourescent lighting etc. Try dedicated and see if that helps.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    He's right, the receptacles are pretty much the same. If you can do it, run a dedecated 20A circuit to the audio setup and get a good line conditioner. It's not the devices that are the problem, it's what's called a ground loop. Any number of things could be putting noise on the circuit. Dimmers flourescent lighting etc. Try dedicated and see if that helps.
    If you didn't notice, I already have a dedicated 20 amp on all the gear with the Monster HTS 5100 plugged into that receptacle. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can tap into the other dedicated 20 amp I have to power the projector which is on the same circuit as the recessed lights that are on Lutron light dimmers? If I run an extension cord from the projector over to the dedicated 20 amp receptacle I want to tap into, the humm goes away.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimster74 View Post
    So here is my next question, at the panel box I have a 20 amp breaker on the 20 amp receptacle. Can I tap off of that 20 amp receptacle and go down to a 15 amp receptacle at the projector or should I put a 20 amp receptacle at the projector also? Or do I swap out the breaker at the box with a 15 amp and replace all the receptacles with 15 amp receptacles?
    look at it this way: 15 amp receptacle and 20 amp receptacle is the SAME thing. so no matter what breaker you have at the panel, receptacles do NOT need to be changed.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    175

    Default

    I think he wants to run wire from one of his existing 20 amp receptacle boxes over to his projector. Is this possible?
    HT: LSi25 fronts, LSiC, LSiFx surrounds, PSW1000 sub, B&K Reference 200.7 S2, Integra 9.8, Panasonic BD30K, Apple TV, DirectTV HD20, Bluejeans Cables, Kuro 5020, Harmony 880 remote

    2 Channel: SRS1.2tl, Krell FBP600, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Squeezebox, AudioQuest Mont Blanc with spades and balanced Skys.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    For code purposes, as well as insurance, I'd make sure I had the right receptacle matched to the proper breaker. If you had a fire, and a 20 amp breaker, but only had 15 amp wire (14ga) and/or a 15a receptacle, insurance might blame the fire on homeowner negligence due to the non-code install.
    [

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default

    Would it be okay to keep a 20 amp breaker in the sub box and run dual 15 amp receptacles off of that or should I replace the breaker with a 15 amp breaker also?
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Rockledge, Florida
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woofiepaws View Post
    I think he wants to run wire from one of his existing 20 amp receptacle boxes over to his projector. Is this possible?


    This will work also but now is projector is not protected by the Monster HTS5100, because the power is tapped before it.

    I run a large UPS to protect myself and strongly believe in the one neutral being feed to all equipment. This way there's no way a ground loop could get in like that and all equipment is protected by the UPS, during a lightening storm.

    I had a similar problem before in another tread where I wanted to bring power to plasma here http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56465

    A product was shown to me that will fit my needs and ours and this way our projector would be protected by the HTS.

    http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-W...spx#tab_images

    Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

    Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR



  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sooner Country
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Russ,

    You can tap into the circuit on the left side of your room and run to your projector. The type of receptacle used is irrelevant. The 20 amp receptacle is really only needed when an appliance has that odd vertical/horizontal 90 degree plug that requires the matching receptacle. This simply keeps people from using this in a 15 amp plugin.

    The important part and reason for use of a 20 amp circuit is adequate breaker and wire size, the plugs aren't stronger, just configured differently.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
    For code purposes, as well as insurance, I'd make sure I had the right receptacle matched to the proper breaker. If you had a fire, and a 20 amp breaker, but only had 15 amp wire (14ga) and/or a 15a receptacle, insurance might blame the fire on homeowner negligence due to the non-code install.
    Sorry but this is BS

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    You can run a 15 amp receptacle. But if you are in doubt, why all the qestions? Around here, 20 amp receptacles are $2.50 each, so if you are worried, just spend the $5.

    I prefer the 20 amp units, because they are built better, and tend to hold the plug much tighter.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Russ,

    You can tap into the circuit on the left side of your room and run to your projector. The type of receptacle used is irrelevant. The 20 amp receptacle is really only needed when an appliance has that odd vertical/horizontal 90 degree plug that requires the matching receptacle. This simply keeps people from using this in a 15 amp plugin.

    The important part and reason for use of a 20 amp circuit is adequate breaker and wire size, the plugs aren't stronger, just configured differently.
    Agree. you can do that. use 20 amp breaker, run #12/2 cable (usually its yellow in Home Depot), and its irrelevant what kind of receptacle you use. This will be done 100% by electrical code

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sooner Country
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    Agree. you can do that. use 20 amp breaker, run #12/2 cable (usually its yellow in Home Depot), and its irrelevant what kind of receptacle you use. This will be done 100% by electrical code

    Right again, the code "no-no" is putting 20 amp receptacles on 14 ga. wiring and 15 amp breakers, allowing someone to plug an appliance with the funky plug in that draws more than the wire/breaker can handle.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default

    So, just call me stupid, I have a 20 amp breaker in the panel and 12/2 (yellow) wire running to the 20 amp receptacle. Do I continue running 12/2 to the projector from the existing 20 amp and then install another 20 amp receptacle at the projector or can I install a 15 amp breaker, replace the 20 amp receptacles with 15 amp receptacles and let it ride?
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    Sorry but this is BS
    Actually, I had this dilemna where I was changing some receptacles, and was following the instructions of the wiring handbook I had. Since I am not an electrician, I followed the expert advice in the book. Sorry you saw it as irrelevant.
    [

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimster74 View Post
    So, just call me stupid, I have a 20 amp breaker in the panel and 12/2 (yellow) wire running to the 20 amp receptacle. Do I continue running 12/2 to the projector from the existing 20 amp and then install another 20 amp receptacle at the projector or can I install a 15 amp breaker, replace the 20 amp receptacles with 15 amp receptacles and let it ride?
    Yes, run 12/2 to the new box, use either a 15 or 20 amp outlet. No need to change the other outlet, or the breaker.

    My whole house is wired 12/2, 20 amp breakers, and 15 amp outlets. Although I do use 20 amp outlets in the garage. I know it's up to code, I just passed inspection last December.

    Like I said, if you are worried, just buy a 20 amp outlet for $2.50, and be done with it. You can run more than 1 outlet off a breaker you know.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
    Actually, I had this dilemna where I was changing some receptacles, and was following the instructions of the wiring handbook I had. Since I am not an electrician, I followed the expert advice in the book. Sorry you saw it as irrelevant.
    there was a very nice bumper sticker that i saw once: "Wiring is not a hobby, hire professional electrician"


    all those handbooks are useless and teach you nothing useful.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    there was a very nice bumper sticker that i saw once: "Wiring is not a hobby, hire professional electrician"


    all those handbooks are useless and teach you nothing useful.
    Unless he didn't know how to wire in a new outlet. It would show him how to do it correctly and safely. At least every guide that I have seen.

    No offense, but for simple procedures like the one discussed here, an electrician is not needed. It's not rocket science.

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    Unless he didn't know how to wire in a new outlet. It would show him how to do it correctly and safely. At least every guide that I have seen.

    No offense, but for simple procedures like the one discussed here, an electrician is not needed. It's not rocket science.
    you would think so.....I have seen many do-it-yourself jobs that are scary. from top of my head i can remember 2 jobs where we had to replace outlets in the house, and whoever replaced them previously did an extremely poor job (loose wires, ungrounded, incorrect polarity, wires are very short, boxes are falling out, outlets are not secure in place...etc)
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 11-18-2007 at 04:23 PM.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,452

    Default

    Well, my hum is now gone. I ended up running 12/2 wire from the dedicated receptacle to the projector and installed another 20 amp receptacle at the projector, just keeping it all at 20 amps. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. the most important question of your life
    By rlgrossi40 in forum Hall of Shame
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
  2. Yet another dedicated circuit question...
    By univera in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 05:12 PM
  3. Dedicated Circuits
    By cewolcott in forum Electronics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
  4. Dedicated Electrical Circuits
    By I-SIG in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 04:32 PM
  5. Dedicated Outlet Question...
    By Grimster74 in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts