Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default New Toy - Parasound HCA-1500A

Just picked up a Parasound HCA-1500A for my LSi15's and I'm real happy with the results. So far just been listening to some favorite CD's and I swear I am hearing bass and treble notes that were never there before. Tonight I'll give a movie a try and see how that goes.

I also need to hook up the HCA-1200II that I purchased for my LSiC. I have a question about if it's ok to plug both of these amps into the same wall socket. Currently the wall socket has my receiver,sub,plasma,dvd player,DVR and now the one AMP. Plugging the second amp into the same wall socket seems like a bad idea.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Are you running a power strip on that socket? With all that stuff, it seems like you'd have to.

Unless you have another outlet on a different circuit breaker in the room, I don't think it makes much difference anyway, although I suppose it's possible to fry the outlet itself...
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3

Yes, same breaker. Yes Power strip. I guess that makes sense if it's the same breaker and I put too much load on one or two outlets its all the same.

Was my matching a HCA-1200II just for center channel going to go well w/ the HCA-1500A?
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

How much power do those amps draw, and how much does the plasma draw? All of those must be pretty high...

Do you have to run both amps at the same time? If not, you may be OK, but yes, all that on one plug seems like a bad idea to me, too ;) but keep in mind I'm just shooting in the dark.
    My system

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Great amplifier.

Enjoy your newly discovered cd's!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

ROTFLMA. I just found the online manual for my parasound 1200 II and if I only hook up the center channel, even without doing a bridge connection it's 450Watts. That should make sound coming out of my LSiC so life like it will reach out and smack me.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by reberly View Post
    ROTFLMA. I just found the online manual for my parasound 1200 II and if I only hook up the center channel, even without doing a bridge connection it's 450Watts. That should make sound coming out of my LSiC so life like it will reach out and smack me.

Nice amp now imagine 2 of those amps running bridged :D:D:D:D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

This Thread Needs Pics.

I couldnt resist, lets see that Parasound in the mix.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Using the Parasound to run my Monitor 10A's and they sound gooooooooooood!!
    If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    "It's times like these, you learn to live again". BIG Always!
    Austere Provisions Company - Most everything you'll need...

Home Theater
    polkaudio
    LSi 15's,9's,FX's,&C|SVS PB12-Plus/2|Samsung LN55C610N1FXZA 55" LCD
    Pioneer Elite-VSX-84TXSi-AVR w/IDK-80|Rotel RB-1090(15's)|Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5
    Denon DVD-3910|Toshiba HD-A3|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables
    Sanus 2prUF34's|Ultrasonic Amp Stand

You can draw a lot of power fine from a wall socket, it's the powerstrip that needs to be up to snuff.

If your power strip is not enough, you'll notice that the sound gets a little thin and sibilant which can be annoying. A power strip with a 14awg cable and rated for 10 amps should do just fine. :)
    Gear: Rotel RC 1082, Rotel RSP 1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB1077 amp, Cayin CDT 15a CD player, S301 bluray.

Speakers: Tannoy DC sensys speakers, Paradigm Servo15 Sub, Velo Spl-1500r

Conditioner: Isotek :D

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I think I am off to Goodwill to look for 4-8 hockey pucks to try as spacers between the two parasounds. It could either be a good idea or look really ghetto. Time will tell.

Probably won't do any pics but I should have taken my camera with me yesterday to the McIntosh dealer I visited. Now those setups are something worth taking pictures off. Has anyone noticed the McIntosh setup in the movie, "The Departed" ? I am puzzled how Matt Damon's character can afford that nice townhouse and sweet McIntosh setup on a state troopers salary.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

great amp. i have one. i am happy

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    This Thread Needs Pics.

I couldnt resist, lets see that Parasound in the mix.

LOL. You all are crazy.

Well I am finding out AZ is not a great place to pick up hockey pucks. After 4 stores and 1.5 hours of driving around only one place had them and they were more like souvenier pucks. I want to a place called Sports Authority and they don't carry a single hockey stick or puck. So much for being an authority. Oddly there is a ice hockey rink, 1 mile from my house. I just assumed every sporting goods store around would sell the equipment.

Can't wait to sell my current house and find a place with a room that will be more tailored for HT. My current room is probably the exact opposite of an ideal room.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

Go to the hockey rink and see if they throw some away or something. (It's worth a try anyway)
    My system

I am a general contractor. As far as I know you should add up the watts that you are drawing from your one outlet. Generaly one circuit breaker will handle 15amps. I do not know how to convert the amps available to the watts your equipment draws. What I do know is when we are running our tools on cords that are to small, for instance a 15 amp tool on a 10 amp cord, then we were frying the tool. Based on that I would be careful not to fry your expensive equipment. It may run fine, for a while. You really should contact an electrician or somone familiar with electricity to see if you are going to have problems. If it is your own house you may want to invest in getting the power right.

BE SURE to give that HCA-1500 at least 7 inches of ventilation space up top or it will shut down on you. I know, I have one. They run HOT.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thanks wout and steve.

I think I'll abandon the hockey pucks and try to figure out how to place these so they are not on top of each other and running into the same outlet.

This really proves to myself I need a new house. LOL. Has anyone bought a another house for the sole purpose of having a better HT room? That would be a funny post to hear comments on. Or should I say, has anyone's spouse let them move for this purpose?
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

Has anyone bought a another house for the sole purpose of having a better HT room?
    Just move your walls (knock 'em out and put the new ones in different places!) and while the walls are out have an electrician throw in a couple of 100A electrical outlets!
    My system

You'll be fine. I've had 3 HCA1200II's running on one outlet before. Even had an HCA2200II in the mix at one time.

I may not be using the parasounds anymore but I am still using one outlet for most of the HT except for the subs.

I would worry only if you were using a bunch of class A or tube amps and a bigass plasma tv. And don't use a vacuum cleaner when your system is on.
    Last edited by Ferres; 12-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.

I finally got both parasounds running now 1500A for LF/RF and 1200 II for Center channel. I went completely ghetto and temporarily, I am using 4 wooden square garden stakes on each side between the two amps. I put a fan behind the whole setup and it's cool as a cucumber even after watching a movie.

I am horrible at describing sound, its like when someone asks me what I see in a painting but with all 3 channels running on seperate amps I just can't believe the fullness of the sound while watching movies. I can't think of any reason I'd go to the theater at this point any longer.

Can't wait to move eventually and hook up a full 7.1 system and of course add at least another 2 parasounds.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables

It's been years since I've gone to the theater to watch a movie. So-so sound quality, noisy people, crying kids, sticky floors , missing a scene 'coz I took a leak and the occasional smell of vomit. :(
    Gear: Rotel RC 1082, Rotel RSP 1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB1077 amp, Cayin CDT 15a CD player, S301 bluray.

Agreed. I will take my HT over any movie theater around. Endless free refreshments (including booze) Pause film for bathroom break, quiet, peaceful, enjoyable inexpensive experience.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Agreed. I will take my HT over any movie theater around. Endless free refreshments (including booze) Pause film for bathroom break, quiet, peaceful, enjoyable inexpensive experience.

Well in that case,give us some movie times and whats playing
    and we'll be right over.:)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    quiet, peaceful, enjoyable inexpensive experience.
    don't know about you but the last thing I want my HT to be is quiet and peaceful - unless its off. ;):)
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

:D It is quiet & peaceful since I don't hear anyones damn cell phone going off, or kids yapping, or rustling of candy wrappers, etc.

All I hear are the wonderful sounds of whatever movie I'm watching!:D

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    don't know about you but the last thing I want my HT to be is quiet and peaceful - unless its off. ;):)

Amen Cathy. Especially the a-hole that likes to put his feet on your chair back. I'm done with cinemas.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

I've been to movie theaters where you can see a bugs silhouette on screen. (cringe)

Don't forget the overpriced junk food, parking, hours in traffic to get to the theater just to stand in line. Instead of being a relaxing day, you come home exhausted, even worse if the movie turns out to be crap.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferres View Post
    I've been to movie theaters where you can see a bugs silhouette on screen. (cringe)

Don't forget the overpriced junk food, parking, hours in traffic to get to the theater just to stand in line. Instead of being a relaxing day, you come home exhausted, even worse if the movie turns out to be crap.

Thread Information