Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Default I removed my polyswitches...

...and now I can listen to my music at a normal volume!
    Ever since I have had my SDA 2A, if I played them too loud (which wasn't very loud), the left tweeter would cut out. I final got frustrated at a listening party tonight and just eliminated the polyswitch. Not only do the speakers sound great, but they dont cut out! I was putting some heafty power to them tonight and they are fine without the polyswitch (a 600wpc Carver amp). I really am suprised how much power SDAs can take. I was driving them with a 200wpc Audiometric amp, but the power of the Carver really makes them come alive.

One odd thing though. The polyswitch on the left speaker was blue, and on the right speaker it was yellow. My guess is that someone replaced one at one point but the other worked fine enough to leave it.

Moral of the story is: If you are having an issue with your polyswitches, just get rid of them.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Moral of the story is: If you are having an issue with your polyswitches, just get rid of them.
    You forgot the part that says "And be careful with the volume or you'll blow your tweeters" ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (17)

One odd thing though. The polyswitch on the left speaker was blue, and on the right speaker it was yellow. My guess is that someone replaced one at one point but the other worked fine enough to leave it.

That was your problem, they went to radioshack or someplace else and bought some underspec polyswitch.

The color of the right one was more like mustard yellow?

What Carver amp do you have?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (4)

What 600wpc Carver amp? Are you talking @ a 4-ohm load or 8-ohm? I know Sunfire has had a couple of 600wpc amps but the only Carvers made now are those Phoenix Gold versions. I think with those amps, I'd want my polyswitches!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Audiophile

It's the PM1201. It's a pro amp: 300wpc @ 8 ohms, 600wpc @ 4 ohms, 1200wpc bridged. I know that a lot of people don't like the sound of pros, but it sounded great to me. Lots of power to wake-up the speakers, yet still very detailed. It may have been lacking some warmth, but I plan to solve that with a tube pre.

The only issue is it has fans. They are not too loud, but present. Have any ideas? Quieter fans? Can they just be disconnected?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The only issue is it has fans. They are not too loud, but present. Have any ideas? Quieter fans? Can they just be disconnected?
    Just take 'em out like you did with the polyswitches. :D:D Like the polyswitches, they're just degrading your sound quality.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3

Nothing wrong with removing polyswitches, really; to blow a tweeter you either need a very crappy amp, or raise the volume to a level that will blow your ears first, so you really don't need the tweeters anyway ;)

The last SDA's produced (3.1TL's) came out without polyswitches

SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Nothing wrong with removing polyswitches, really; to blow a tweeter you either need a very crappy amp, or raise the volume to a level that will blow your ears first, so you really don't need the tweeters anyway ;)

The last SDA's produced (3.1TL's) came out without polyswitches
    Ricardo, you do mean we don't need the polyswitches?

I took mine out when I redid my crossovers.

you do need to watch how you drive your speakers without them, I blew 1 or 2 tweeters on my left 1.2tl a few months ago when I turned my pre up to 4.5, I usually don't go beyond 3.5

At 3.5 you could be standing right next to me and when I scream at you, you would not be able to hear me.

At least now I know where my limit is.

Sal
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

Double post
    Last edited by Ricardo; 12-05-2007 at 01:18 PM.

SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Ricardo, you do mean we don't need the polyswitches?

I took mine out when I redid my crossovers.

you do need to watch how you drive your speakers without them, I blew 1 or 2 tweeters on my left 1.2tl a few months ago when I turned my pre up to 4.5, Yes I know, that's too high, I usually don't go beyond 3.5

At least now I know where my limit is.

Sal
    I mean you don't need the polyswitches if you have a decent amp that won't distort easily, and you don't raise the volume to 4.5, or too high :)

Lot's of speakers don't have any tweeter protection. You do need to use some common sense.

SOPA

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Poly Switches are for Rookies.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Quote Originally Posted by MillerLiteScott View Post
    Poly Switches are for Rookies.
    Guess that means I need to keep mine!
    My system

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by nms View Post
    Just take 'em out like you did with the polyswitches. :D
    Hmmm... removing the fans. I have two thoughts.
    One: the amp was built with fans for a reason and removing them would be electronic suicide.
    Two: It's built to be very powerful, thus creating lots of heat and requiring fans. Since I am barely moving the VU meters, I am not creating the heat assumed in the amps design. Disconnecting the fans and making sure that the amp has adequite heat sinks.

Hmmm... removing the fans. I have two thoughts.
    One: the amp was built with fans for a reason and removing them would be electronic suicide.
    Two: It's built to be very powerful, thus creating lots of heat and requiring fans. Since I am barely moving the VU meters, I am not creating the heat assumed in the amps design. Disconnecting the fans and making sure that the amp has adequite heat sinks.
    It was a joke. The fans are in there for a reason, I do not recommend removing them if you value your electronics. (Unless of course you have a temperature probe and can make sure it doesn't overheat)
    My system

Audiophile

I'm going to look into it...

Zingo, check out the stuff on this page.

http://atechfabrication.com/products/fan_cables.htm

Maybe you can just install a Thermal Switch, when the need arises the fans will go on.

Sal

Audiophile

Oh, you guys are so good to me.
    That's a great idea Lasareath.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

In the 3 sets of SDA speakers I picked up in the last few months ( 2 sets of SRS's and a pair of 2.3's ) ...the 2 pair I kept have zero issues....when doing the crossovers on them I noticed the polyswitches were yellow.

On the pair of SRS's I let my friend take he said the tweeters were cutting out after extended listening at extreme volumes. He has CLEAN huge amplification so I knew it was not an issue. I contacted Kenneth from Polk and he sent me enough new yellow polyswitches for all 3 pair. Just last night replaced my friends polyswitches ( Which were BLUE by the way ) and all cutting out issues were eliminated.

Thanks Kenneth for the free polyswitches....just wondering if the blue poly's were somehow inferior.....or just degraded with time more so then the yellow one's ???

Audiophile

My guess is that the blue polys were just degraded from 20 years of "switching". If you put that in perspective, those little things are pretty amazing.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

just wondering if the blue poly's were somehow inferior.....or just degraded with time more so then the yellow one's ???
    They are all the same, just a different maker. They all will degrade with time and use, best to remove them.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    They are all the same, just a different maker. They all will degrade with time and use, best to remove them.
    Thats probably the best thing to do...even though my yellow ones were functioning fine, they are as old as dirt :)

Since I use really powerful amps ( Carver silver 7t pair for the 2.3's with the AI-1 IC and RF2000 with the SRS's ) that are nowhere near clipping even at outrageous volume levels I will just yank em out and jumper the contact points.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yeah.....who needs breakers, fuses, poly switches, relays, etc.??????

They are all just pains in the ass.........thats what tin foil was invented for wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Yeah.....who needs breakers, fuses, poly switches, relays, etc.??????

They are all just pains in the ass.........thats what tin foil was invented for wasn't it?
    In this case bus wire and solder :)

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Maybe you can just install a Thermal Switch, when the need arises the fans will go on.
    After doing some thinking, I am going to add a thermal switch to the fans in the Carver. Over Christmas, I will be opening that badboy up, cleaning it out (including the connections), and adding a termal switch to keep the fans at bay. I'll post guts pics when I get them and write on the results of the cleaning/upgrade.

OK so here's a real high quality noob question:

What do these polyswitches look like? I have a pair of Monitor7Cs from 1987/88,, and my right tweeter is dead. Is there a chance that this polyswitch could be the culprit?

If the experts here recommend ripping them out, I will follow the herd obediently. All I need to know is what they look like...

Quote Originally Posted by jmackenzie3 View Post

What do these polyswitches look like? I have a pair of Monitor7Cs from 1987/88,, and my right tweeter is dead. Is there a chance that this polyswitch could be the culprit?

If the experts here recommend ripping them out, I will follow the herd obediently. All I need to know is what they look like...
    The polk ones are usually mustard colored or blue. and they look like the following:

Quote Originally Posted by jmackenzie3 View Post

FYI: If your speaker has a glass fuse on the back, you do not have polyswitches. If no fuses, then I would test your tweeter by removing it from the cabinet, and CAREFULLY connecting the tweeter directly to the speaker wires and try playing at VERY LOW levels to see if any sound comes out. If nothing, then the tweeter is bad fried. If you hear sound, then the polyswitch or something else is bad in the crossover. Schematics are available here

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Help me out folks...is the polyswitch the one in the S1 location?
    (I'm almost sure it is, but I just wanted to verify)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA1C Restoration 001.jpg‎
Views:	157
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	43335   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA1C Restoration 002.jpg‎
Views:	148
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	43336  
    Romans 1:16

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Yes, send it back to Mexico.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Cool. Thanks! Caps are next thing going back to Mexico!

Thread Information