Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Ceiling speaker Acoustic performance

I heard that when mounting ceiling or wall speakers you'll get better sound acoustics and speaker performance if you insert insulation or some other type of baffling material to help tune the speaker. Does it help more to frame in around the speaker and then add the insulation?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I don't know just how much of a difference it makes but I covered up my rear 4 in-ceiling speakers just for the insulation factor...not for sound. I guess for high dollar installs, it would be something to consider.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

It absolutely sounds better to build some sort of box around the back side. I have tried RC and TC series speakers both ways. You need about 2 cu feet for the regular size rectangular speakers and you should use dampening material in the boxes. I have built boxes out of MDF, plywood, and that contruction foam that they use for exterior sheething - all worked about the same. It just really gave them a better mid and bass.

I used the applicable measurements in the following link to determine the cu ft that I used - it may not have been 1.5, but that sounds right.

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/t...icle.php?id=29

Member Sales Rating: (0)

how to apply it for those prewired setup for the new construction?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMuell View Post
    It absolutely sounds better to build some sort of box around the back side. I have tried RC and TC series speakers both ways. You need about 2 cu feet for the regular size rectangular speakers and you should use dampening material in the boxes. I have built boxes out of MDF, plywood, and that contruction foam that they use for exterior sheething - all worked about the same. It just really gave them a better mid and bass.

I used the applicable measurements in the following link to determine the cu ft that I used - it may not have been 1.5, but that sounds right.

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/t...icle.php?id=29

Thread Information