Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default Impulse buy - Sony BDP SA300

Went over to BB this weekend with $150 in gift cards. Wasn't particularly looking for anything. Decided to look at HD players, saw the A3, A30 and A35 and a couple of Blu-ray players. Wasn't going to do it, wanted analog outs for lossless...decided not to buy because I wanted to upgrade the pre-pro next...walked away...but didn't leave the store...my mistake. Thoughts bubbled and so I jumped. My gut said Blu-Ray so I picked up the Sony for $270 after some haggling and 7 disks.

I usually do some research on players, but not this time. I've got to say I'm pretty pleased. 1080P and lossless audio are a nice upgrade and I didn't have to wait for the $700 player to drop down in price. I like the fit and finish, SQ and PQ. It is a bear to wait for load times, but no perceptible layer change issues at all. I don't believe it upscales DVDs as well as the Oppo and I already miss DVD A and SACD (which should have been included...it's a Sony for godsake). I'm going to keep the Oppo as a player, but have a question. Can I Y cable the analog inputs into my HK and keep both players hooked up...or do I need to hook one then the other? I would think I can Y it.

Anyway, I'm happy...made the decision, right or wrong and it seems to be a good one.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Go down to Wal-Mart and get you one of these.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=934078

I've been using one for a while now without any problems, I think they run around 20 bucks.
    Last edited by millerman 3732; 12-31-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Casey

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats on your purchase, for some reason I thought you were already into the Hi Def formats, or was it only HD DVD? The S300 is a good player, great bang for buck product, and as you said minus the 700 buck price range. As for your audio concern and said above, a switch would do the trick, perhaps you should look into Zektor.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (15)

If I where going to be using a switch long term I would take Sherardp's advise and look in into a dedicated 5.1 analog switch like the Zektor, but if your like me and just holding off until some of the newer pre's with new surround format capabilities come out you might not want to invest to much in a switcher, like me.
    Last edited by millerman 3732; 12-31-2007 at 09:16 PM.
    Casey

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Thanks guys...so you're saying y cabling won't work, but a switch (I knew that) will?

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Banned

Don't forget to downloand and upgrade the firmware on your new Bluray.

Member Sales Rating: (39)

Just curious, what is currently the "best deal" in BluRay (outside of used and/or PS3)?

I'm really tempted to get one right now. Too many good titles available on BR that I'm not watching.

I see several on Amazon, and I'm guessing they offer free BR discs with each player, but not sure which model I should be looking at for best value.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGwis View Post
    Just curious, what is currently the "best deal" in BluRay (outside of used and/or PS3)?
    If you have a capable HDMI receiver that decodes lossless audio (DTS-HD, Dolby TruHD), the Panasonic BR player is the best option as it decode lossless audio thru HDMI as well as BR 1.1 profile compliant.

Member Sales Rating: (39)

What about the Samsung 1400? I can get one NIB for $300 shipped, and I can pay through paypal where I have some funds, and get the 5 free BR discs (decent options, too). My Plasma is Samsung as well so my TV remote probably could work for both.

Does it have 5.1 analog outputs? Not sure I'd use them anyway, but just in case. If I got a BR player to add to my HD-DVD player, and I'm likely getting a HDMI cable box soon, I think I'm going to have to ditch my beloved 635 for something with 3 HDMI inputs.

Thread Information