Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Loudness Wars article

Maybe they are getting the idea that recordings of today are very undesirable. Only time will tell.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,7547276.story

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

H9:
    Another fine article pointing out the crap that the RIAA is putting out. If you haven't seen it, Rolling Stone online has a terrific piece on the subject, with a tremendous amount of links. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...fidelity/print

There is some hope, a group of recording engineers wants to create a stamp for albums that avoid the loudness war.
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Member Sales Rating: (13)

records today are 6 to 8 decibels louder than they were 15 years ago, the equivalent of about a quarter turn of a volume knob. Katz said some music that is heavily compressed has gone up almost 20 decibels in 20 years.

Advances in recording technology have allowed sound engineers and producers to raise recordings' overall volume by compressing the dynamics of the audio during the mixing process. The compression technique removes the peaks and valleys, making all parts of a song equally loud.
    And making them sound like crap, IMO.

I never have understood the thinking behind this, because it's loud it will get more attention. In fact, it defies logic. Take the TV commericals. Before the advent of level sound, TV commericals were always louder than the show. What's the first reaction to a loud commerical? You reach for the remote to turn DOWN or MUTE the volume. In affect, your reaction is completely opposite of what they want and yet the bozo's don't get it. CD's that are mastered hot get the same reaction from me, all I want to do is push eject. In the case of one recent CD I purchased, it's so hot and bright that I'll never listen to it again. The fact that I wasted $20.00 because some putz decided it sounded better that way pisses me off, big time. I'd really like to shove the CD up his arse, but then I'd probably end up behind bars.

Anyway, it's about time they woke up! Perhaps there is hope for the future of recorded music.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information