If anyone has had any doubts about modifying your SDA's, stop. STOP THAT SILLY ARGUMENT YOU'RE HAVING WITH YOURSELF!!!! If you know your way around a soldering iron, and you have some cash to spend (or a credit card with any room on it...) then you have no excuses. Do these upgrades. You will not believe what comes out of your old speakers when you're done....
First off, I want to apologize to F1nut for not following his advice. He told me to do this in stages, so I could understand the nuances of the changes I've made. I didn't take his advice, and I did it all at once. He is right in that I really can't specifically identify which changes had more impact than others, because I've done them all at once. So if you want to do this right then do as F1 says, not as I do.
Ok, so what did I do??? I have a pair of 1988 SDA-2B's. I did a few things to them:
1) I rebuilt my crossovers with Sonicap Gen I capacitors, a Mills resistor, and a new inductor.
2) Modified the crossover, adding a 5.8uF cap, so that I could upgrade the tweeter from the SL2000/RD0194-1 to the RD0198-1.
3) Upgraded to the RD0198-1 that I'm now able to use because of the above modification.
4) Constructed a custom SDA interconnect to replace the stock pin-blade connector.
5) Replaced the binding posts with Cardas CCGR-S, including a new post for the custom interconnect.
The results.... are nothing short of breathtaking. I've never been one who's all that great at elequant prose describing something I taste, smell, or hear. I love great wines. But while others might be able to recite an impromptu soliloquoy of the earthiness on the nose, the taste of black currants in the back of the pallatte, followed by a rich chocolaty finish, I usually say, "Yummm! That's AWESOME!!!!" So forgive me if I can't adequately describe with my keyboard what I'm hearing with my ears. But what I'm hearing with my ears is just SOOOOOO good.....
When I first powered everything up after the mods, it didn't sound all that great. I wasn't expecting it to. The threads talking about these mods all warn that initial response is surprisingly poor, and that break-in time is an absolute necessity. At first, the highs were quite tinny and the bass was extremely thin. However, I was expecting this to last a long time - it's been detailed that these mods can take 200-400 hours to burn in. This may well be the case, but the amount of improvement that happened in the first 2 hours was incredible. I've got (maybe) 5 hours on them now, and if they're just going to keep getting better from here, then I'm in for a real treat....
Ok, so that's it for the intro first post. Next come some pictures!