Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Is speaker wire from monoprice.com good?

I need some speaker wire and I was looking at getting this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

but I don't know if it's any good. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

What are you useing it for? Looks like home depot cable to me. I would go with a 12 ga but thats just me.Whats your idea of good?Will you hear your speakers with these?Yes you will.Will it sound good? Probably not,but again depends on the application.You want to run some 8 ohm bookshelves with these,then they will work.Don't try and wire your whole system on the cheap,you won't be happy.

I was going to use them for my 2 RTi8's at the front. Not a good idea then I guess. I'll try to find some other ones then. I don't really want to spend a whole bunch because moneys always tight.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

I bought HDMI and Wii Component cable from them. Very solid build and work as advertised. For speaker cable, I would not have hesitate to order from them, however, I would go with signalcable for speaker cables. I bought all mine from Frank at SC along with RCA interconnects: solid build, excellent customer support.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by Rike255 View Post
    I was going to use them for my 2 RTi8's at the front. Not a good idea then I guess. I'll try to find some other ones then. I don't really want to spend a whole bunch because moneys always tight.
    I'm sure you'd be more happy than spending 100x more on some joe schmuck cable and not hearing it any differently. I'd change the cable to 14awg and give it a try. You don't really have much to lose.

Thanks guys I decided to go for it. I got 16awg wire cause I'm not running it very far (about 10 feet).

Thanks guys I decided to go for it. I got 16awg wire cause I'm not running it very far (about 10 feet).
    I bought 14AWG from Monoprice for my whole setup (Rti8, Rti4, CsiA6). I read quite extensively on the web about speaker cable and all i can say is, you'll have to make up your own mind.

(1) I haven't received the wire yet, so i can't comment on the sound quality.

(2) I'd say most of what i read on forums (similar to this one) was suggesting Monoprice (or similar), while the minority recommended more expensive stuff. That doesn't mean much, but that's what i read.

(3) The links to support the "buy cheaper" clan were to blind tests where the users couldn't tell the difference except when using very high end equipment...and it was a slight difference in sound quality.

I'm not saying i believe either side, but as someone else replied to you said....i bought Monoprice and if i don't like it, i don't lose much $$$.

I currently have more expensive wire (borrowed) running to my Rti8, so i will be able to compare.

Cheers!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Very good pricing I have to say. :D

Acadian, I await your report on you testing, should be intersting.

Yank
    Polk Model 10
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55

Member Sales Rating: (43)

These are always fun debates. HiFi is like building a car engine.
    OK you have a nice push rod v8.
    IF you buy a big cam it won't help, and may hurt.
    IF you buy a big carb it won't help, and may hurt.
    IF you buy a big exhaust it won't help, and may hurt.
    IF you buy a 4.56 ring, and pinion it won't help, and may hurt.
    Now sum up all of this stuff, and you have a powerful system.
    The same applies to audio.
    If you are using a receiver, and cheap speakers $500 speaker wire isn't going to do much, it may actually hurt.
    You have nice RTI's, and you are going to cheap out on 16ga generic wire?
    I am not saying you need $500 cables, but 16ga $7 speaker wire. It's like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari
    Also info needed would be what kind of amplification do you have. What are your sources? IC's
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I have a bumper stick on my Ferrari. What's wrong with that?

What if it was a special Ferrari edition bumper sticker?
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    You have nice RTI's, and you are going to cheap out on 16ga generic wire?
    I am not saying you need $500 cables, but 16ga $7 speaker wire.
    See what i mean....lol :D

I have no idea yet what the difference will be with my Monoprice and my current wires. The only problem i had with paying more (whatever that may be) is that i never saw anyone post of a study or blind test done to prove the wire (whichever one) is better.

And how much more money it would take to see a noticeable difference?

Unless one has his own store, it's hard to test multiple wires/speakers/receivers combos to see how much to spend on the wires (if it even changes anything).

The idea of paying X amount of $$$, just to not "cheap out" makes no sense at all....unless one can hear a real difference.

I imagine Monoprice should be here next week....can't wait to compare.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    See what i mean....lol :D

I have no idea yet what the difference will be with my Monoprice and my current wires. The only problem i had with paying more (whatever that may be) is that i never saw anyone post of a study or blind test done to prove the wire (whichever one) is better.

And how much more money it would take to see a noticeable difference?

Unless one has his own store, it's hard to test multiple wires/speakers/receivers combos to see how much to spend on the wires (if it even changes anything).

The idea of paying X amount of $$$, just to not "cheap out" makes no sense at all....unless one can hear a real difference.

I imagine Monoprice should be here next week....can't wait to compare.
    My system is pretty nice. I know there are much better systems here. Much much better, but I used to believe that cables didn't make a difference. I started upgrading components ignoring cables, and it did get better, but when a fellow Polkie came over with some moderate priced IC's it made a world of difference. If there is a Polkie near you that has a decent system maybe they can do a cable swap with you so you can hear the difference your self. Polk Fest have done many AB's, and many have done comparo's between different wires. Just do some searching. Research will save dough in the long run. I am broke so I started building my own wires, and I sell them pretty cheap to fellow Polkies. When I started getting into cables I was shocked at the price of different options out there. I have made some awesome cables that compete with $500 cables, and I have made some that just have sounded like crap. The important thing is to enjoy the hobby. Some people are happy listening to a Bose wave radio, and buying nice components(cables are components too:D) just wouldn't make sense.

Enjoy
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

I need some speaker wire and I was looking at getting this

but I don't know if it's any good. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.
    I upgraded my 16 guage speaker wire to 12 guage copper stranded that I bought from a hardware store. Made an obvious, positive improvement in sound, and the price was right. This was with 4 LSi15s, and an LSiC.

Well, a good speaker cable is supposed to pass the signal, uncolored, from the amp to the speaker. That's it, it's all pretty simple and straightforward. Any good gauge copper wire should accomplish the job.

Some people say that different speaker cables give you "different sounds." There could be 2 explanations.

1) Pure placebo effect
    2) There are impurities mixed into the wiring, altering the signal, thus creating this perceived difference in sound

Regarding possiblity #2, actually this is what a lot of these bogus boutique speaker cable manufacturers do. Their cables do sound different. Because they mix in some lord knows what impurities into their thousand dollar cables.

Do you want those cables in your system? I sure don't.

I will stick with my good old 12 gauge pure copper wire speaker cable, simple, and cheap.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I have Monoprice 12 AWG speaker wire throughout my entire HT setup, and love it - it's flexible, insulation is thick/looks great, all conductor properties that we are looking for in the conductor are there (i.e. oxygen-free, stranding, etc.), and it's cheap :)
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by BradimusMaximus View Post
    What if it was a special Ferrari edition bumper sticker?
    That would be OK, but only if it cost you $1000.:D
    Lots of Carver stuff and a pair of LSi9's

Someone else here said..."those who don't know..don't know"

Monoprice still hasn't arrived...hopefully it'll be here before the Pats hoist the Vince Lombardi :)

I also have a few pieces of cable in transit (monster and AQ), courtesy of a fellow polkie (thanks Willow). Best scenario would be they all get here before the weekend.

Waiting in anticipation...

Thread Information