Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Thoughts on an Acurus amp?

I'm ready to admit that I'm addicted.....I just upgraded my system (Denon 2808 powering Rti10s, CSi5, FXi5s and the 500 Pro sub) and am loving it but think I want some more power for the fronts so I'm looking for an amp to power the fronts. My thought is to get something that will tide my cravings (hopefully) for a year and then I'll make a jump to a really nice amp. Locally I found a good deal on a used Acurus A200. While the reviews on these are decent, there are a few that mention the amp being bright. I'm noticing brightness on the Rti's as it is (perhaps because they haven't broken in quite yet), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Acurus amp with the Rti series? Would I be better for now getting the Outlaw monos? Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!!!

Member Sales Rating: (19)

The Outlaw monos and Acurus A200 are at same same level of sound quality, IMO (I've owned both of them). I'd suggest a 5-channel amp. The cost would only be marginally higher.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I have an Acurus A200X3 (3 channel version of the amp you are referring to) and I don't find it bright at all. More neutral than anything else. Now my Adcom amp was kind of bright. Acurus makes (well made) very solid, dependable amps that are very well built and should last you a very long time. Just my two cents...

Member Sales Rating: (39)

I tell everyone to purchase B&K amps. I've owned a few of the midfi (Parasound, NAD, Carver, etc.) and just like B&K the best in terms of sound, reliability, build quality, etc. Their price for performance seems very good.

You can find a good 2/3 channel B&K amp for $300 - $400 used. If you'd like some model numbers or suggestions, let me know.

But, if the Acurus is local, a good deal, and in good condition, get it. If you don't like it, you can always resell it to break even, or even make a couple bucks to put towards your next purchase. Unlike AVRs, Processors, and TVs that have rapidly changing technologies, amps haven't really changed and keep their value very well.
    Last edited by AndyGwis; 02-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Acurus is a solid well built performer. For your needs your really can't go wrong with it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (47)

the acurus is a well built piece of gear,,I did not think my was bright at all. Good luck
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks so much for the all information so far. I don't know where I'd be without this forum....oh wait, yes I do.....I'd probably have a lot more money in my pocket (since I've already bought much more than I originally planned) :D

Thread Information