Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default CD Player: Rotel or NAD?

I need a new dedicated CD player and am torn between the above-referenced brands. Is the Rotel 1072 worth twice the NAD 525 BEE? Should I split the price difference and go with the NAD 542?

The Rotel is at the very outer edge of my budget, but I wonder if it is worth the extra dough. I am currently running Monitor 7B speakers with an 80wt Marantz HT receiver.

Any thoughts?

Member Sales Rating: (44)

Save your money. Get an Oppo.

Does Oppo make CD players or only DVD players?

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas812 View Post
    Save your money. Get an Oppo.
    Ha! I was just wondering about that! Nikolas saves the day once again (but might be having trouble with a few flamers in a minute or two ...).

Oh, and Welcome to the Club, tbyrne!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by tbyrne View Post
    Does Oppo make CD players or only DVD players?
    DVD only, I think, but they also accept multi-channel SACD and DVD-A, and of course ... CDs.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

They only make dvd players but they are exceptional at audio. A giant killer if you ask me. They can also be modded out the yin yang. Take a look at there 980H model. It is geared more toward audio I think. The 980HD is a little better for picture quality. But if you are going to use it as a dedicated CD player like I do. There is no point in spending the extra money for the 980HD. I think I paid $190 shipped with priority from Oppo. I've never been happier. It is one peice that will actually be staying for a while.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I've heard the 980H Oppo on a couple of occasions and it's CD playback is not "all that". It's a good DVD player but I would not have it in my audio system. I have yet to hear one of the so called "Giant Killers" that actually lives up to it's reputation...including the Oppo. If funds are not an issue the Rotel is a great CDP but for the money either of the NADs will be hard to beat.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

But for the money....... I like it.:) But he is right, depending on your budget....... If I had $500 -$2000 to spend on a CD player, the Oppo would be gone.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Never heard either of them, but I've read plenty of glowing reviews about the Rotel. Thats what I would get if I was you.

The Rotel 1072 is like 90 %of the Bel Canto DAC2, which is pretty good. If you can spring for a used Cambridge Audio 840c then do it.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I have a Nad 542 that is in 9/10 condition only due to age that has been boxed up in the closet for 1 1/2 years since I bought my Jolida. It comes with the original box. manual, and remote.

If your interested $325.00 shipped.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs
    Never heard either of them, but I've read plenty of glowing reviews about the Rotel. Thats what I would get if I was you.
    I have heard the Rotel on several occasions and it is a sweet player. The NAD 542 close but a more laid back sound. Cambridge Audio is another excellent CDP brand I really like. I've never heard the 840C but the 640C with it's dual Wolfson is a good choice as well. I know Bill Ayotte just got a killer deal from Doro on a CA 640C.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    I have a Nad 542 that is in 9/10 condition only due to age that has been boxed up in the closet for 1 1/2 years since I bought my Jolida. It comes with the original box. manual, and remote.

If your interested $325.00 shipped.
    Not a bad deal!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm inclined to go with the dedicated CD player since i already have a pretty good Toshiba DVD player and want to focus on the audio side.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I don't think there's much out there under a grand that will beat the Rotel.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Go on Audiogon & get the Rotel used.

I love mine.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Go 1072. Rotel has very high marks on this player. I have personally demo'd it myself many times and always walked away loving it. If I needed a deadicted player I would seriously consider this one.

Honestly for the money , look into Sony es. They have awesome SACD/CD players used on Audiogon. They are truely solid cd players and will give you the added bonus of SACD.

I'd check that out before you spend your cash.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

True, even Sony's bargain basement $129 players have good pace/punch, and are fun to listen to. I recommend Sony players to anyone that wants an inexpensive player (sub $200). I have friends that have stereo's but are not "audiophiles." They'd look at me like I was crazy if recommended a $500 CDP, so for them I say "Sony."
    Last edited by steveinaz; 02-01-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Thread Information