Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Subsonic Filter

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Subsonic Filter

Can someone explain what this means(Subsonic Filter)? I have an older model (Onkyo integrated amp A-8067).And it works great.It may sound like an off the wall question but this inquiring mind would like to know.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hello. A subsonic filter omits or takes out the frequencies [generally] below 20 Hz on the frequency range.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

This is for a 2 channel system. Should it be engaged?

You have a Turntable or do you run a live mic through it?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Banned

Wow, blast from the past.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

You only need to engage it if you're running a turntable source and your speaker's woofers are getting visibly slapped around during playback. By "visibly slapped" I mean you can see the woofer cones moving back and forth - normal audio frequencies move the cones too quickly to be visible.

The most common source of subsonic noise is likely to be TT rumble, typically in the 6-10Hz region. Many phono stages have a built-in filter that starts around 10Hz and attempts to chop everything below that. So the switch possibly effects only the phono stage in your integrated, or it may be an external circuit (in case user plugs into aux from an outboard phono); depends on how it was designed.

From a purist standpoint it may be deemed an unnecessary circuit, however if the slapping is too vigorous, though these frequencies are not directly audible, it could have impact on the overall sound and could potentially be bad for the woofers in the long run. FWIW my Benz phono has a built in 10Hz filter that's not defeat-able, and I'm glad it's there. Yet still, I can see some vibrations in the woofers when using my TT - I'm assuming it would be worse without the filter.

I am sure the CD fanboys/girls will now generously supply a bounty of clever & humorous remarks about yet another vinyl quirk/hassle, but dammit it's still worth it to me and I still only love & listen to vinyl for 2ch :p :D
    Last edited by mulveling; 01-31-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010

Not playing it that "hard". The system sounds wonderful. A compilation of older gear that has kept me mesmerized for a few years. I do have a TT( Dual CS 503) with a moving coil cartridge. Primarily for jazz music (albums and cd's).

Nothing(and i mean NOTHING) beats the sweet sound of vinyl. Spin on baby...

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzisnumberone View Post
    Not playing it that "hard". The system sounds wonderful. A compilation of older gear that has kept me mesmerized for a few years. I do have a TT( Dual CS 503) with a moving coil cartridge. Primarily for jazz music (albums and cd's).
    Quality older gear is truly a bargain paradise, if you know what to look for, or if you just get lucky! Most of the best 2ch audio stuff ever was conceived decades ago (IMO), and some of the stuff was really built to last. Heard some vintage 60's Eico 20 Watt tube amps a couple weeks back that made me think all the contemporary hifi amps I've heard (and owned) are way overpriced!

Spin on, and enjoy!
    :D
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010

I'd love to get my hands on a set of Bose 901's. Now there's "old" gear that would sound awesome.

I do have a TT( Dual CS 503) with a moving coil cartridge.
    With the TT in the loop, you may want to run with the subsonic filter engaged. If you ever drop the needle accidentally while the volume is up, it just may save your speakers.

One test you could perform is with the SSF disengaged, play an LP at concert levels and with the speaker grills off, take a look at the woofers. If they have excessive cone excursion whilst playing, turn down the volume, engage the SSF and see if the excursion reduces.

I will try that. things are a little quiet here so i will do it during the day when everyone is awake. Ty for everyone who commented. Long live VINYL....

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I'd love to get my hands on a set of Bose 901's. Now there's "old" gear that would sound awesome.
    I could hook you up with a pair of 301's. Vintage (1980) Series 1 in minty condition.

Thread Information