Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default New Emotiva 2-channel amp coming soon...

Emotiva unveiled the new pics of its XPA-2 today. This amp is gonna be killer. Weighs 75 pounds!!! Price is only $799. Here are a few specs:

250 x 2 into 8 ohms
    500 x 2 into 4 ohms
    1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms

THD 0.007
    S/N >100db
    Broad band frequency response; 10 to 120K Hz (-3db)
    20 to 20K Hz (0.2db)
    1600va transformer
    120,000uf of secondary capacitance
    Glass epoxy boards
    1% resisters
    Soft start circuit (will not have a high current spike on start up)
    Balanced and un-balanced inputs

Should be available in a few weeks. Pre-orders are being taken right now.
    Pics can be found here: http://emotiva.com/xpa2.gallery/photos.html

Damn! I'm gonna have to re-consider my upgrade plans. This amp needs to find a cozy place to sit in my house.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (9)

That's some pretty big numbers for that kinda money...Like the looks also.

I know you'll be the first on the block to own one,looking forward to your review.
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reeter View Post
    I know you'll be the first on the block to own one,looking forward to your review.
    Well, I'd love to place my name on the waiting list for this one, but I gotta wait until the funds are flowing again.

I currently have the LPA-1. I'm thinking of keeping it and going with an XPA-2 for the fronts. Alternatively, I can get an XPA-5 to replace my LPA-1. ($799; 5-channels with 200 wpc). But before I pull the trigger, I'd like for a few early adopters to speak about the differences in sound quality between the XPA-2 and the XPA-5. Some people have already indicated their desire to order both amps as soon as they are available which is supposed to be sometime this month.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I'm also eagerly awaiting some feedback on the XPA-5. Looks like a steal. Although I don't really need another amp.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reeter View Post
    That's some pretty big numbers for that kinda money...Like the looks also.
    I'll say. I was surprised. I am curious to see what the feedback will be on this one.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Here is the link for XPA-5 photos http://emotiva.com/xpa5.gallery/photos.html. Reserved mine yesterday, eagerly awaiting its arrival.
    Last edited by villock; 02-05-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

That puppy has the same specs as my Krell...hmmmmmmmmmmm. Very interesting. The reviews should be interesting as well.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (31)

It looks promising.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (1)

"That's some pretty big numbers for that kinda money".

I don't see Nad, B&K, Adcom, Rotel, Vincent, Odyssey, Parasound,or Cambridge offering something along these lines for that kind of price. Parasounds A-21 has similar figures but for $1999. I wonder how they can do it, I understand their internet direct pricing but...
    My rack can only hold up to 50 lbs maybe that is why I am being skeptical.
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Looks nice on paper and in the pics. I'm a bit suspicious to offer those kinds of numbers for that price. I wonder what the topology is? If this turns out to be a nice sounding piece then they will sell a lot of those for $799. I just won't believe it until I hear something about it from an experienced reviewer or actually hear one myself.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

That is a sweet looking amp......except........why can't some companies offer nice big VU meters and rack mounting as an option? Macintosh has VU meters but they also have an out of reach (for me) price tag. There doesn't seem to be many choices to build a modern system with that option. Are we VU meter aficionados limited to vintage gear for our VU fix?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.

Quote Originally Posted by joeparaski View Post
    That is a sweet looking amp......except........why can't some companies offer nice big VU meters and rack mounting as an option? Macintosh has VU meters but they also have an out of reach (for me) price tag. There doesn't seem to be many choices to build a modern system with that option. Are we VU meter aficionados limited to vintage gear for our VU fix?

Joe
    You answered your own question VU meters, while being extremely inaccurate, are a retro vintage item, not modern.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I agree H9! Even Outlaw doesn't sell them that low.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Looks nice on paper and in the pics. I'm a bit suspicious to offer those kinds of numbers for that price. I wonder what the topology is? If this turns out to be a nice sounding piece then they will sell a lot of those for $799. I just won't believe it until I hear something about it from an experienced reviewer or actually hear one myself.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

The LED On/Off switches would be a nice feature to have.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!

I don't know squat about the inner workings of an amp. but this thing has a buttload of big caps and a respectable sized power supply.

I for one will also be patiently waiting for solid reviews...I guess Emotiva has a money back return policy?
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Well, based on my experience with Emotiva, I suspect this amp will be a giant killer. I reviewed their RPA-1 2-channel amp ($699; 200 wpc) a few months ago and it was exceptional sounding for the price. And the build quality was as good as amps costing three times more. I was so impressed with this amp that I purchased their HT gear and look forward to being a long-term customer.

From my understanding, the reason they can sell their gear so inexpensively is because they design the gear, then have it manufactured in their own plant in China and sell direct on-line, so there are no middle men.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    From my understanding, the reason they can sell their gear so inexpensively is because they design the gear, then have it manufactured in their own plant in China and sell direct on-line, so there are no middle men.
    I hear ya, I try real hard not to let price influence my perception, but it can be an indicator of where the "buck" stops so to speak. Wouldn't it be great if this was the 2nd coming of something like the original Adcom 555.

I've read some user reviews on the RPA-1 and it seems to be a mixed bag. I don't hold personal reviews to highly unless I know the person's tendencies and experience's in the audio arena.

This is good news for us midfier's because if it turns out to be a decent sounding product, that's a very good and reasonable $$$. I'd still like to know a little bit more technically about it and the topology involved. Is it discrete or it a module type amp, etc.? Typical class AB or G or H or some other hybrid?

H9

I'd still like to know a little bit more technically about it and the topology involved. Is it discrete or it a module type amp, etc.? Typical class AB or G or H or some other hybrid?
    Good questions. It's A/B. More specs are forthcoming; they haven't been posted on the Emotiva forum yet, but once they do, I'll post them here.

Since the RPA-1 is class H, I'm guessing the XPA-2 will be also. That right there explains why it's a lot more cost effective. Looking at the exterior of the XPA-2 having no external heat sinks leads me to believe this as well.

Personally I'm not a fan of class H or G products in general but, again I'll try not to let that color my perspective.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Seems like all their amplifiers, with the low end LPA-1 being the only exception, are class H. LPA-1 is class A/B. I'd wait a little while but then again, they do have 30 day money back policy if you don't mind eating the shipping costs in case you don't like it.

Should make a nice priced piece in the used market later on.

Cleans lines and a simplistic look. I like the way it looks. Not alot of clutter.

I am in for one. Pre ordered!
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
    Front: LSI15
    Center: LSIC
    Sourround: FxiA4
    Rear: Fxi3
    Sub: Bic H100
    TV: Sony 52' XBR4

"The more time you spend researching here, the less money you will have" :D

GV#27

Emotiva unveiled the new pics of its XPA-2 today. This amp is gonna be killer. Weighs 75 pounds!!! Price is only $799. Here are a few specs:

250 x 2 into 8 ohms
    500 x 2 into 4 ohms
    1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms

THD 0.007
    S/N >100db
    Broad band frequency response; 10 to 120K Hz (-3db)
    20 to 20K Hz (0.2db)
    1600va transformer
    120,000uf of secondary capacitance
    Glass epoxy boards
    1% resisters
    Thats impressive for the money if it happens to sound good. With those ten output transistors per channel it appears to be a class A/B output stage.And with that massive toroidal transformer and lots of filter capacitance that looks like a big linear power supply and not a class H or G multi voltage PS.

Emotiva keeps impressing me. I'll most likely go to them when I get the cash, whenever that is
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27 View Post
    Thats impressive for the money if it happens to sound good. With those ten output transistors per channel it appears to be a class A/B output stage.And with that massive toroidal transformer and lots of filter capacitance that looks like a big linear power supply and not a class H or G multi voltage PS.
    I'm betting it is just like RPA-1 and is class H. The RPA-1 has all the big torroids and dual mono design, ect, etc. but it's still class H. To build a 200w/ch class AB would require much better heat sinking and IMO a quality unit couldn't be built at that price point. We'' just have to wait and see ;)

GV#27

A class AB would require much better heat sinking
    The 3rd pic of the chassis with the top off shows a fairly substantial heat sink for each channel.
    Edit.If they are as big as they appear and the bias is set at a reasonable level then that looks to be enough sinking(for A/B operation).
    and IMO a quality unit couldn't be built at that price point.
    Im sceptical as well,but if it sounds half decent then great!good on them.

That PS certainly has the appearance of a big linear supply but maybe it is a class H.A class H PS would not need that big of a tranny.
    Last edited by GV#27; 02-03-2008 at 11:23 PM.

You answered your own question VU meters, while being extremely inaccurate, are a retro vintage item, not modern.

H9
    Are you saying that Macintosh amplifiers, that cost as much as a car, and have big blue VU meters, are NOT accurate? Besides, how accurate do they have to be anyway?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.

Quote Originally Posted by joeparaski View Post
    Are you saying that Macintosh amplifiers, that cost as much as a car, and have big blue VU meters, are NOT accurate? Besides, how accurate do they have to be anyway?

Joe
    LOL Joe, VU meters are not accurate doesn't matter if they are in a McIntosh or not. They are kind of cool to watch but the way they measure sound level is pretty rudimentary. Wasn't meant as a dig just a fact. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter

H9

I'm betting it is just like RPA-1 and is class H. The RPA-1 has all the big torroids and dual mono design, ect, etc. but it's still class H. To build a 200w/ch class AB would require much better heat sinking and IMO a quality unit couldn't be built at that price point. We'' just have to wait and see ;)
    Heiney --

According to Lonnie at Emo headquarters, the amp is class A/B.

Heiney --

According to Lonnie at Emo headquarters, the amp is class A/B.
    Then we have confirmation, thanks :)

Thread Information