Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Can't get DD5.1 to play

Going nuts here!!!

I have a DVD player (Sony DVP-NS50P) hooked up to my receiver (Yamaha HTR-6050) using this cable

I go in the DVD menu and select DD5.1 playback, yet it plays in my mains only. I select STRAIGHT on my AVR and the little PCM light is on. What am i doing wrong here?

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    Going nuts here!!!

I have a DVD player (Sony DVP-NS50P) hooked up to my receiver (Yamaha HTR-6050) using this cable

I go in the DVD menu and select DD5.1 playback, yet it plays in my mains only. I select STRAIGHT on my AVR and the little PCM light is on. What am i doing wrong here?
    Is that a subwoofer cable? Not sure it would matter though...

Check your DVD player's settings to make sure it is output "bitstream" or something other than PCM.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH

It is a sub cable, but it's supposed to work for digital coax as well.

The Dolby Digital light is on, on the dvd player....so it seems to be outputting the correct signal....just the AVR i can't seem to figure out.

What DVD are you playing? There's 2 things in play here. The DVD player's configuration system which has to be told how to output audio (bitstream or something similar). Then there's the Movies audio setup, that must also be set to DD or DTS.

Your sub cable is going from the Coax out of the DVD player to a Coax in on your receiver?

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Have you assigned that particular input on your AVR to accept it?

1) The movie audio setup is definitely set to DD5.1
    2) Not sure if (or how) to set the DVD player's settings
    3) Yes, the dig. coax out from DVD to dig. coax in on AVR
    4) I did not assign the input on my AVR to accept it....shouldn't a digital coax accept it by default?

EDIT: I was playing both Polar Express and The Grinch (don't laugh, it's all i had on hand...lol).

for DVDP- make sure there is no disk in it. Hit menu on your controler, go to audio set up section.

for AVR, you may need to tell the AVR that ie dig input 1 is for DVD.

Well, my guess is that your DVD is not configured output a bitstream digital signal. But it could be other things. Try going in to the "setup" menu of your DVD player and look for an "audio" setting. Make sure it's *not* set to "PCM".

I'm starting to think it's the DVD player. I downloaded the manual and i am supposed to be able to press an AUDIO button while the movies plays to see which audio format is being output, except the screen says "the disc doesn't allow this" when i press it...how usefull is that.

I have an XBox 360 that i could've tried with, but it died on me tonight of all things....so that could be a few weeks before i get a new one. When it rains it pours!!!

EDIt: i also don't get any 5.1 from my Rogers cable box (using optical)...it still shows PCM on my AVR.

EDIT #2: I got the DVD player to output DD5.1....i'll look into the cable box tomorrow.
    Last edited by Acadian; 02-05-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

as mentioned above.. in your AVR, you need to assign it the correct audio input.. ie: optical, coax, HDMI, etc.

in your DVD player.. you need to select Bitstream as the audio output, not PCM as stated by tcrossma.

this got me just last night too. I bought a HD DVD player and the default audio option out was PCM.. so I was only getting left and right front audio... even though I was using a optical cable. set it to Bitstream.. and DD 5.1 lit up on the pre amp. :)

Sounds like you have everything hooked up right.. now you just need to check the menu's in your AVR and DVD player.
    good luck.

<sorry for the redundant post. I see this was answered a bit earlier>
    I've seen this happen on when a dvd player is providing the decoding instead of sending the bitstream.
    If you dvd is set to bitstream, your receiver should decode the audio and display back what it is decoding.
    Last edited by dephinistr8; 02-05-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Dept. of Redundancy Dept.
    The Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk FXi3
    Rears: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Polk PSW125
    AVR: Denon 3808CI
    TV: Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP (WD-65833)
    Game Console: Xbox360
    Game Console/Blu-Ray: PS3
    Satellite: DirecTV HD-DVR (HR21)
    HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A35
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 890 Pro

2 Channel Setup

AVR: Pioneer VSA-910
    Speakers: Klipsch KG4 (from 1985)

As stated in my last post, i got the DVD player to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM. So it works, but i want to make sure i get this...

I guess the DVD player "decodes" the DD5.1 and sends it via the digital coax out to the AVR in. The AVR`s job is to shoot it out to the appropriate channels(speakers)....is this how it is supposed to work? Somehow i thought AVR`s were supposed to be able to decode PCM to the appropriate format (like DD5.1) by themselves???

On another note, i still haven`t gotten my Rogers HD cable box to shoot out DD5.1 (via optical)....it was getting late last night...lol.

Cheers!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have had problems before useing digital coax cable.I would suggest just useing the optical cable from the dvd player to your receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    As stated in my last post, i got the DVD player to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM. So it works, but i want to make sure i get this...

I guess the DVD player "decodes" the DD5.1 and sends it via the digital coax out to the AVR in. The AVR`s job is to shoot it out to the appropriate channels(speakers)....is this how it is supposed to work? Somehow i thought AVR`s were supposed to be able to decode PCM to the appropriate format (like DD5.1) by themselves???

On another note, i still haven`t gotten my Rogers HD cable box to shoot out DD5.1 (via optical)....it was getting late last night...lol.

Cheers!
    Bitstream means that the un-decoded signal is being sent to the AVR, which will then decode it.

If you let the DVD player decode it you'd have to use the Analog outputs on the DVD player (if it has 5.1 analog outs).

As to your cable box, remember that not all channels are broadcast in DD5.1, so make sure you're watching something that is. The cable box also has a "setup" menu that you'll need to go into and set the audio out to a "matrix" format. The default is usually "stereo".

Good luck.
    tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcrossma View Post
    Bitstream means that the un-decoded signal is being sent to the AVR, which will then decode it.

If you let the DVD player decode it you'd have to use the Analog outputs on the DVD player (if it has 5.1 analog outs).

As to your cable box, remember that not all channels are broadcast in DD5.1, so make sure you're watching something that is. The cable box also has a "setup" menu that you'll need to go into and set the audio out to a "matrix" format. The default is usually "stereo".

Good luck.
    tim
    I did check the settings very quickly LATE last night, so "matrix" it is then.

The only 2 options available on the DVD player were PCM and DD. So DD apparently sends "bitstream" and PCM sends what excalty?

which Rogers box do you have, I've had both the digbox and now the HDbox. I could be of help if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    which Rogers box do you have, I've had both the digbox and now the HDbox. I could be of help if needed.
    I have the HDBox, but it's Motorola here....you probably have/had Scientific Atlanta....but it should be the same i figure.

It works now. Not sure why it didn't before. I checked the settings on the Rogers box....was already Matrix. I switched it, then came back to Matrix and the AVR's little DIGITAL light came on instead of PCM. Go figure! Maybe i had to have it on a 5.1 channel (like HDNet) WHILE i was changing the setting in order for it to work....who knows...lol.

Anyways, thank for all your help guys....maybe i can now move from noob to the next level...lol.

Thread Information