Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SDA 2A's what to look for when buying?

Hey all,

I found some SDA 2A's for sale local for $ 300. They appear to be mint from the pictures. Is that a good price? I'm looking to set up a 2channel system and these seem to be a good start. Any advice on what to look for when I go to check them out?

Thanks in advance
    Jim

System 1
    Hitachi 57F59A
    Onkyo TX-SR703
    Onkyo DV-CP702
    Onkyo Dx-C390
    Adcom Gfa 555-II
    SDA-2A's
    SVS 25-31 PCI+
    Atrium 45 (Patio)
    Blue Jeans Cables

System 2
    Sansui 8080
    Pioneer PL-560 TT
    RTA11T

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun442 View Post
    Hey all,

I found some SDA 2A's for sale local for $ 300. They appear to be mint from the pictures. Is that a good price? I'm looking to set up a 2channel system and these seem to be a good start. Any advice on what to look for when I go to check them out?

Thanks in advance
    Jim
    My personal opinion is that for local pickup, it is a good deal. Having said that, yes there could be a bad driver or two, or even a a bad crossover but you may want to eventually upgrade those anyway. If you can listen to them and everything basically works, then I would go for it. In our part of the country, local pickup Polk's are rare.

Are they wood or studio versions? Have (or can you) listen to them? One of the first things I ask myself when it comes to value or worth is "what other speaker can I get for $300 that will beat the Polk's?". There's nothing new for that price. You may find another pair of old vintage Polk's but the 2A is a very nice speaker and a great start to some serious 2-channel listening. If the cabinets are in reasonable shape and the drivers all work, it's a good deal.

Even a few minor problems may still make it a good deal.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Member Sales Rating: (16)

IMO, it's at the upper end for 2A's unless they are mint in every way. I would be inclined to pay $300 for 2B's, but not 2A's. Having said that you can't put a price on local p.u. and inspection. Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for that option.

2A's still had the funky dimensional tweeter, which strictly IMO is slightly less desirable, but solid speaks nonetheless.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 02-11-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I second H9, $300 seems a little high. See if you can talk him down to 250 or 275 or so. Give them a thorough inspection - make sure all the drivers and tweeters are working, check the surrounds, does he have the IC cable, is it in good shape, etc. If you're trying to talk him down look for any little flaws that you can nitpick on, even if the flaws really don't matter.

FWIW, I paid $200 for a pair of 2Bs in solid condition (a few nicks on the corners) off of Craigslist.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    IMO, it's at the upper end for 2A's unless they are mint in every way. I would be inclined to pay $300 for 2B's, but not 2A's. Having said that you can't put a price on local p.u. and inspection. Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for that option.

2A's still had the funky dimensional tweeter, which strictly IMO is slightly less desirable, but solid speaks nonetheless.

H9
    I believe 2A's (right) did not have the SDA tweeter, 2's (left) did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 2.jpg‎
Views:	72
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	31261   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 2A  .jpg‎
Views:	79
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	31262  
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

There may have been an odd transitional model but to my recollection and according to the compendium 2's and 2A's had the dimensional tweeter and (3) 6.5" drivers. 2B's had the single tweeter and (2) 6.5" driver and they came in a Studio version and oak/walnut end capped version.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

It appears there is conflicting info in the compendium and I believe you are right the 2A's have 1 tweeter and 2 drivers. I'll go with that. If the OP could post a pic or a description that would be helpful too.

Still $300 is steep unless they are minty, minty, minty.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

2A's did not have two tweeters.... the 2's did. I've owned a pair of 2A's before.. i know.. :p

$300 clams is a bit on the high side.. here again.. if they are minty looking.. i might jump on em.. if i was looking. the 2A's are a fine sounding speaker you know. good size and very open sounding from what I remember.

Did more indepth searching in the compendium and only in one spot is there a typo, which is what I was going on. They are 2A's and I'd offer $225 and max out at $250.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

SDA 2A's what to look for when buying?
    2B's?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

2A's IMHO are close sounding to 2B's, but lack some of the bass that the 2B's bring to music..

see if the seller will drop the price by say.. $50 or so...

2A's and 2B's have different cabinets and utilize different drivers. 2B's, all other things being equal, are a better choice but one should take what one can readily get. :) 2A's certainly are not a bad choice.

H9

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    2A's and 2B's have different cabinets and utilize different drivers. 2B's, all other things being equal, are a better choice but one should take what one can readily get. :) 2A's certainly are not a bad choice.

H9
    ageed! but you also forgot to mention vastly different crossovers too.. ;)

Member Sales Rating: (58)

That's too much money.

Thanks for all the info. The speakers are 2A's and they are 15 minutes drive from me. I hope to check them out tomorrow. If I get em I'll post pics. They have been for sale for about two weeks now, so their either junk or (more likely around here) nobody knows what they are. I like to go by the motto: Cash is King! So I hope to get them for no more than $250.

Thanks again
    Jim
    Last edited by Kajun442; 02-11-2008 at 11:25 PM.

System 1
    Hitachi 57F59A
    Onkyo TX-SR703
    Onkyo DV-CP702
    Onkyo Dx-C390
    Adcom Gfa 555-II
    SDA-2A's
    SVS 25-31 PCI+
    Atrium 45 (Patio)
    Blue Jeans Cables

System 2
    Sansui 8080
    Pioneer PL-560 TT
    RTA11T

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    That's too much money.
    Let's try and keep in mind that not everyone lives within driving distance of a New York, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, etc. With VERY few exceptions Mississippi, Louisiana, & Northwest Florida pretty much guarantees you will not find local except on rare occasions. It's easy to say $250 - $300 is too much why not wait for $250 2B's and pay $225 shipping (that would be $475 I believe).

I think "pretty much mint" SDA 2A with local pickup for $250 - $300 is a steal in this part of the country. In my scanning of Craigslist for Pensacola, Mobile, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Hattiesburg / Jackson there has been ZERO Polk's offered in 6 months. I did find 2 pair in Jacksonville but that was it.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

Member Sales Rating: (40)

You 'think' they are worth it. Have you 'heard' them?

There is a reason Polk dropped the dimensional tweeter cochise.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

I'm sure he's adult enough to realize it's an opinion, unless you think he's retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    You 'think' they are worth it. Have you 'heard' them?

There is a reason Polk dropped the dimensional tweeter cochise.
    Read the posts - they do not have a dimensional tweeter.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

Thanks for all the info. The speakers are 2A's and they are 15 minutes drive from me. I hope to check them out tomorrow. If I get em I'll post pics. They have been for sale for about two weeks now, so their either junk or (more likely around here) nobody knows what they are. I like to go by the motto: Cash is King! So I hope to get them for no more than $250.

Thanks again
    Jim
    Kajun442, let us know what you find out about the 2A's and if you buy them. If they are in good shape and you can get them for $250, jump on it. If you don't like them after buying them, send me an email and I'll drive up and have a look at them. You can really have enough pairs of Polk's.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

Well I bought them thursday for $250, loaded them up in the back seat of my truck and brought them home. Get them inside (back hurts). Take them out the boxes. Set them in front of my Rti-8's and SVS 25-31 sub. I wanted to listen to them for a little while before they were moved to the office. I plan to put together a 2 channel system for the office. So I hook them up all the while I'm waiting for a comment from my wife (and not a good comment) So I put on some Steely Dan and crank it a little, then a little more and then some more and I'm thinking D@mm these sound great! So the wife looks over at me: you know these have to stay in the living room. I like the way they look and sound. So my plan for the office is on hold. My new plan is to sell my Rti's and SVS. Buy another Adcom 555 and use both of them to power the SDA's. While I look for some better SDA's. I'm hooked!

System 1
    Hitachi 57F59A
    Onkyo TX-SR703
    Onkyo DV-CP702
    Onkyo Dx-C390
    Adcom Gfa 555-II
    SDA-2A's
    SVS 25-31 PCI+
    Atrium 45 (Patio)
    Blue Jeans Cables

System 2
    Sansui 8080
    Pioneer PL-560 TT
    RTA11T

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Nice find. Those look very nice.

I have a pair of 2B's and love them to death.

BTW - I lived in Jackson for a while. Still have a bunch of friends there. Graduated from State back in 1996.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen

nice looking pair of 2aaaa's you got there.... look to be in good condition too.

enjoy!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

I love Polk's in original boxes....it makes them worth keeping, for a week or so. That's a great pair of SDA's to start the addiction.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 02-16-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I'd say for 250. you did very well...don't find pairs with the original cartons very often.

N'joy
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Told ya.

Nice speakers, fair price, wife likes 'em, listening to Steely Dan on the Polk's. Life's pretty good in Jackson right now. Congratulations and the offer still stands (if you get tired of them, I'll drive up and take them off your hands).

Enjoy.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

SDAs are pretty damn good HT fronts too. Don't get rid of the sub...pickup some CRS+s, a close center and you will have an awesome dual purpose rig.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

capitan100 wrote:
    "BTW - I lived in Jackson for a while. Still have a bunch of friends there. Graduated from State back in 1996."

We moved to Brandon two years ago and like it here, plus it's above sea level. Which has become important to us lately.:)

marty913 wrote:
    "(if you get tired of them, I'll drive up and take them off your hands)"

I can't see getting rid of these anytime soon, unless I find a better pair. But if I do, I'll try to pass them on to someone here first. I feel like I didnt just buy speakers but also bought all new music.

Ron Temple wrote:
    "SDAs are pretty damn good HT fronts too. Don't get rid of the sub...pickup some CRS+s, a close center and you will have an awesome dual purpose rig."

I'll probably keep everything. I have a 12' X 14' room that might become a mini theater.

Thanks to everyone your knowledge and help was greatly appreciated.

Jim

System 1
    Hitachi 57F59A
    Onkyo TX-SR703
    Onkyo DV-CP702
    Onkyo Dx-C390
    Adcom Gfa 555-II
    SDA-2A's
    SVS 25-31 PCI+
    Atrium 45 (Patio)
    Blue Jeans Cables

System 2