Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default anyone play a CD in their Blu Ray or HD DVD player ?

On my entry level Tosh A3 some CD's sound really quite good.. much better than my old Pioneer DVD player. and pretty good amount better than my Marantz CDP too.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I use my Toshiba XA1 to play CD's with awesome results. My only complaint is the load time, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

I also use my PS3 for SACD and CD's, it sounds suprisingly great for a gaming/multi-media machine. I'm happy, and the both are going nowhere for awhile...
    Last edited by MikeC78; 02-13-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

I exclusively use my Toshiba XA1 to play CDs, as well. With my old Pioneer player, I had disappointing results and just never bothered to play CDs with it ... but I'm much more impressed with the XA1 and am happy with how it sounds playing music from CDs. :)

I have not compared the XA1 to any of the newer CDP's, so keep that in mind ...
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I've tried it on my A2. It sounds the same as the Oppo it replaced, IMO.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (39)

I've used my XA1. Sounds very good, but the analog lacks the bass punch I like since it's only running the mains. I usually use the digital out and run 2.1 with CD material on that system. If I want sound quality, I go to my 2-channel rig. If I want to bump to some rap, etc., I go to the XA1/HK 635 and use the sub.

Supposedly, the XA1 is a very accomplished audio player. I read somewhere that it has the build and functionality of $2K CD players. They should put a faster load time, rebadge, and sell them as such now that HD-DVD died.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have an XA2 HD-DVD and a Samsung BDP-1400. I have both connected via HDMI so they sound the same. However I think the CD interface sucks on both of them! They are both slow! And I need to have the TV on too.

I am actually starting to look for a stand alone CD player now. Primarily for better responsiveness and iterface.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I use my Toshiba HD-DVD as the CD player, too, if I want to hear one on the AV system in the living room since I didn't want to tie a changer back into it. I have a dedicated CD player (or 2) for the 2-channel setup in the LR as well so the HT system never sees much use other than HD-DVD's. I also have a Toshiba SD-6980 which is a combo player of sorts....DVD/CD/DVD-A/SACD that I feed multi channel into the receiver for the surround discs on occasion.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

what's beauiful about the ps3 is its ability not only to play CDs but to store them as well. This was a huge selling factor for me. It sounds awesome in atrak 352. I'm completely happy with it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

LSU, Louisiana "In a galaxy far far away"

Can you believe my XA1 will not play mp3's!!!!!! What a load of crap....

For cd's it sounds great.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    what's beauiful about the ps3 is its ability not only to play CDs but to store them as well. This was a huge selling factor for me. It sounds awesome in atrak 352. I'm completely happy with it.
    +1, cept I use the AAC 320. Sounds phenomenal!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Anyone know what are all the formats the PS3 can do?

I was thinking of getting one to be the media hub of my system...seems like it can do pretty much everything well....play BR dvds, SACDs, stream, store music/pics/movies...and upconvert regulatr DVDs and CDs too!

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExa View Post

I was thinking of getting one to be the media hub of my system...seems like it can do pretty much everything well....play BR dvds, SACDs, stream, store music/pics/movies...and upconvert regulatr DVDs and CDs too!

Just buy it, it rules. Get the 80g if you plan on using it for Sacd and cd.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExa View Post

Don't forget games! Even if you're not into games really, there are some nice cheap (like $5) downloadable games for it! Who knows maybe you'll start ennjoying games too!

I cant wait to get my ps3. Its on the way!

Just buy it, it rules. Get the 80g if you plan on using it for Sacd and cd.
    Or just buy a generic 120-250GB laptop hard drive for it if you're worried about storage. If you can turn a screw driver, it's a 5 min upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    Or just buy a generic 120-250GB laptop hard drive for it if you're worried about storage. If you can turn a screw driver, it's a 5 min upgrade.
    Is the Ps3's hard drive a standard design? If so I will upgrade mine to the largest one I can find. then I will never have to worry about running out of room with burning cd's in at 352 Atrak.
    Dan

I would, but being the network geek that I am, I stream it from the PC to either the 360, PS3, or 3808 (whatever happens to be on). Granted, quality of the mp3's don't really compare, but it's more of an accessibility thing for me. (I am lazy)
    The Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk FXi3
    Rears: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Polk PSW125
    AVR: Denon 3808CI
    TV: Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP (WD-65833)
    Game Console: Xbox360
    Game Console/Blu-Ray: PS3
    Satellite: DirecTV HD-DVR (HR21)
    HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A35
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 890 Pro

2 Channel Setup

AVR: Pioneer VSA-910
    Speakers: Klipsch KG4 (from 1985)

Has anyone here upgraded the harddrive? And is there a certain brand or kind that you have to buy to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by bopicasso View Post
    Has anyone here upgraded the harddrive? And is there a certain brand or kind that you have to buy to do this?
    2nd that
    Dan

I upgraded my ps3 drive last year to this one, a toshiba.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=MK2035GSS

However, it has a generic sata interface for wide compatibility. Some owners have the cable coming out of the box and hook it up to full 3.5" PC hard drives. But 2.5" notebook ones work just fine.

The process is simple and is even explained in the ps3's manual, so they obviously expect owners to be able to make the upgrade themselves. Check your manual for illustrated instructions. But the gist of it is:

1. Pop the little plastic door off the side covering the HDD. You shouldn't have to force it. It just pops right off.

2. Unscrew the retaining screw for the hard drive cage. Slide it back, then out of the case.

3. Unscrew the cage screws and remove the old drive. Then mount the new drive in its place.

4. Reverse everything you did before.

5. When you boot it up again, it will prompt you to format your new drive, and presto...globs of hard drive storage.

If you need more detail, there is a youtube out there that shows the whole process. It's one of the easiest 'computer' upgrades I have ever done. :)

Here's one youtube on it, but there are others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1mQ21XXLE

SWEET! Glad I didnt waste the extra hundred for the 80gb.

One important resource you guys might need is:

http://www.redkawa.com/

In particular, their fileserver app makes moving large files from your PC to the ps3 a snap. You use the ps3 browser to download files from your PC just like you would from the playstation store, but over your home network. And last time I checked, all their stuff was free. There are some great file format conversion apps there too.

Thanks for the good info cheddar!

Quote Originally Posted by bopicasso View Post
    SWEET! Glad I didnt waste the extra hundred for the 80gb.

You gave up your ability to steam SACD over HDMI with the 40g I believe.
    Unless you don't do SACD or play ps1 games then your fine.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    I upgraded my ps3 drive last year to this one, a toshiba.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=MK2035GSS

However, it has a generic sata interface for wide compatibility. Some owners have the cable coming out of the box and hook it up to full 3.5" PC hard drives. But 2.5" notebook ones work just fine.

The process is simple and is even explained in the ps3's manual, so they obviously expect owners to be able to make the upgrade themselves. Check your manual for illustrated instructions. But the gist of it is:

1. Pop the little plastic door off the side covering the HDD. You shouldn't have to force it. It just pops right off.

2. Unscrew the retaining screw for the hard drive cage. Slide it back, then out of the case.

3. Unscrew the cage screws and remove the old drive. Then mount the new drive in its place.

4. Reverse everything you did before.

5. When you boot it up again, it will prompt you to format your new drive, and presto...globs of hard drive storage.

If you need more detail, there is a youtube out there that shows the whole process. It's one of the easiest 'computer' upgrades I have ever done. :)
    I will have to check out the manual again. I must have skimmed over it.

Cool thanks alot. What about tranferring exsisiting data to the new drive or did I miss something?
    Dan

What about tranferring exsisiting data to the new drive or did I miss something?
    This is the one thing I'm a bit hazy on. I knew when I bought the ps3 that I would do this. So I did the upgrade before I had anything significant stored on the drive. Unfortunately, the redkawa file server I have only transfers files from a PC to the ps3, not the other way around. But I convert all my media files using a PC in the first place and they start out there, so this was never a problem.

I do know that there is a copy file option on the ps3. So you might be able to copy the files you want to move to a usb device and move them manually. But again, I never had to do this so I'm unsure how combersome it might be with a large amount of data. Also, saved game data might be lost as well.

I do know that it migrated all my settings including firmware updates. So not all crucial information is stored on the HDD. You might want to stick a thumb drive on there and see if you can transfer your files that way before you make the switch.

Here's info on a backup system utility. From the description, it would seem to be the answer for backing up and recovering files.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...uputility.html

Also, don't forget that you can drop the old hard drive into an external case and have a new compact portable hard drive. I think I had to reformat mine to use it with my PC, though.

I just bought the Toshiba XA2 player.

The sound quality is very good with CD, way better than my PS3, but the bass is lacking for the moment( not fully broken in)

I use monster mkII400 interconnect and the sound is very fast and punchy with my RTI6. I think the monster are the problem here, I will try my Acoustic Research stereo cable and get back to you guys.

I'm using my yamaha receiver in analog Pure direct mode and it's better sounding than with my optical monster Ultra cable !

So the DAC in the toshiba beats the Top quality burr-Brown DAC in the Yamaha! nice

Thread Information