Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Oppo's going Blu-ray

Apparently, Oppo has confirmed such development and has already obtained agreements on necessary licenses and parts....

Oppo's going Blu-ray

Member Sales Rating: (9)

This will be the beginning of wider spread Blu acceptance amongst J6P. One format, now prices will drop further as other makers try to reach the OPPO price point. A good thing for HD.
    Venom
    Let me tell you something about life, around every corner monsters await. I know, I am one.

If I owned hell and this place, I would rent this place out and live in hell.

Mains: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
    Preamp: Modwright SWL9.0SE
    Amps: Butler TBD2250, PS Audio Trio
    PrePro: Cary Cinema 6, Outlaw 990
    DAC: Benchmark DAC1
    Universal Player: Denon 2900
    Cables: StraightWire Encore II, Kimber Hero, Audioquest Type 4, CV-8, Columbia DBS
    Power Conditioner: Belkin PF60

Member Sales Rating: (6)

everybody and their mother have been waiting for oppo to join in the realms of high def!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

just an example of how the format war was hurting HD in general. Now more and more manufacturers will join in and prices will get lower -- meaning more people will buy players and studios will release more movies at lower prices.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Very cool.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Yep. Looking forward to this one.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

A win, win situation for both the manufactures & consumers. If the OPPO player is a killer (like their others) & priced as good...let the price wars begin!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Price wars > format wars

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by BIZILL View Post
    everybody and their mother have been waiting for oppo to join in the realms of high def!
    Funny, most of the people I know have still never heard of Oppo ;)

Seriously, I'm anxious to see what Oppo can do with the format. I don't think Bluray output can get much better, but they can improve speed, reliability, and hopefully (hopefully) put good quality upscaling and deinterlacing in it for playback of SDDVD.

Of course, I'm also crossing my fingers for them to include SACD playback!

The only *improvement* I care about is being able to get a player for $200 or less. The more manufacturers that are making players the sooner that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomOG View Post
    The only *improvement* I care about is being able to get a player for $200 or less. The more manufacturers that are making players the sooner that will happen.
    I'd settle for a $300.00 Blu-ray player that will also do DVD-A and SACD (not to mention HDCD as well) ;)

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Of course, I'm also crossing my fingers for them to include SACD playback!
    That would be sweet if they did.

I think I am going to hold off for about 6 mos on a BD player. I think it's going to get interesting. Toshiba is obviously going to have to come out with a BD player also.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Quote Originally Posted by dkg999 View Post
    Toshiba is obviously going to have to come out with a BD player also.
    Actually, their press releases indicate that they will NOT make a bluray player. Instead, they are going to focus on faster processors and high volume solid state storage technologies. I think they are positioning themselves to be a supplier of chips and memory for future playback technologies.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've been waiting for this. If oppo stays true to form, I'm in!!!! Quality at a bargain price is how I roll.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's

Member Sales Rating: (4)

It would be nice to see an actual "budget" BRP....I thought about the PS3, but I can't see shelling out that much coin for something I would rarely use for games, until GT5 comes out anyway....I barely use my 360 as it is, I just don't have time/inclination to play much anymore, and I actually am really enjoying the new rig I just put together.....
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    Actually, their press releases indicate that they will NOT make a bluray player. Instead, they are going to focus on faster processors and high volume solid state storage technologies. I think they are positioning themselves to be a supplier of chips and memory for future playback technologies.
    My guess is at the high-stakes global CEO level, Sony offered Toshiba some olive branches to hasten their exit. My guess is Toshiba has a sweet deal on licensing the BD technology if they want to build BD players.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (23)

[QUOTE=billbillw;806749]Funny, most of the people I know have still never heard of Oppo ;)

I certainly was one until I joined a few boards and became a tiny bit smarter.......still miles and miles to go, but I am VERY HAPPY with the 981 and the price was very right :)

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Great...Now I'm going to have to tell my wife our 1 yr old Oppo 981 isn't good enough anymore, and we need a new one.

I'm sure I have some time to come up with a good excuse.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post
    Great...Now I'm going to have to tell my wife our 1 yr old Oppo 981 isn't good enough anymore, and we need a new one.

Unplug the cable halfway so signal is intermittent or has some problems, point to the TV and say (As manly as possible) "I'll fix it!" and come back with a BR player.
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post

You wife knows your rig that well?, I can usually replace this like that and she never even notices it ;)
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by ledhed View Post
    Unplug the cable halfway so signal is intermittent or has some problems, point to the TV and say (As manly as possible) "I'll fix it!" and come back with a BR player.
    Hahahaha this is how I plan on getting a XA2 when the prices fall through the floor...
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ayotte View Post
    Hahahaha this is how I plan on getting a XA2 when the prices fall through the floor...
    Unless you are going to get a refurb, the price is about as low as it will ever get on a new one. $450 at www.Valueelectronics.com/avstc.htm and less than 50 left. Nobody else has this in stock that I've seen.

I picked up a refurb last week for about $235 shipped. I don't think they will go much lower than that either.

Denon is releasing two new BluRay players within the next couple of weeks. They are pricey...but Denon usually has higher end stuff. Anyway, their players will not include SACD/DVD-A. A Denon rep says they are considering this feature for future generations.

My feeling is that we may not see SACD on BluRay players. Once HDMI is fully implemented, an SACD player only needs to be a transport with no DAC needed. Therefore, very inexpensive SACD players can be separate from BluRay players. Also, a separate laser lens is needed for each format. It may be expensive for a manufacturer to include SACD on their BluRay player since there is little commercial demand for this feature.

marcus
    LSi9 + LSiC + LSiFx
    dual PSW 505
    Integra DHC 80.2 Pre-Amp
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    OPPO BDP-93 universal player
    BENQ W6000 Projector
    Da-Lite120 inch diag screen.
    BlueJeans Cables all around.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by DesertPilot View Post
    My feeling is that we may not see SACD on BluRay players. Once HDMI is fully implemented, an SACD player only needs to be a transport with no DAC needed.
    Marcus, I'm not sure if this is possible. One of SACD's anti-piracy protection is accomplished by prohibiting DSD output via spdif. Analog or HDMI outputs are the only options that I know of.

Now, if you're saying that future SACD players will only have HDMI and no analog, negating the need for an internal DAC, I guess that would work if HDMI receivers with 5 HDMI inputs are ubiquiteous in the future but that would limit the player to a very small segment of audio buyers.

Thread Information