Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Can't Decide....

Been researching and comparing now for more then a week on all the different brands of A/V receivers! I just can't decide who to go with! I am looking for something that is going to sound good with my following system by providing a full rich warm sound!!! It must also contain the newer technology decoders DTS-HD and TRUEHD. Looking to spend around $1000!

My equipment:

RTi8's
    CSi A6
    FXi A4's
    DSW Pro 500

Any suggestions?

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I love my H/K. I'm not familiar enough with the new models to recommend a specific one, but I think H/K and Polk are a good combo. You might also consider getting the lowest priced AVR you can find that has the features you want along with pre-outs and buy a seperate amp. If I had it to do over again, that's the route I would go.

I don't have any personal experience with B&K, Marantz, or Denon, but I hear good things about these brands also.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (2)

For a $1000 receiver...you will have NO problem finding a great fit for your system. Harmon-Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer are some of the favorites around here.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I got the onkyo 705 ($650)because it had the newer formats and pre outs if I wanted a separate amp later, of course after listening on this post I went bizerk and got the separate amp. A lot of people seem to like the 805. But with your speakers the next thing everyone will say is get a separate amp at least a 3 channel separate to drive your front 3 speakers. I say get at least a 5 channel because the surrounds sounded dead in comparison to the front before I hooked them into the amp.

So check out the onkyo 705, 805 and save a few hundred to put towards a seperate amp.
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.

The 605 is also not a bad receiver. I have it. The only downside is a lack of preamps.

It decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD just fine.

My opinion, which you are free to ignore...those new technologies cost WAY too much when you consider that what's really going to make the SQ difference towards a "rich warm sound" in a receiver is the analog sections (amp, DACs, preamp). The newer the digital tech you buy, the more the resale value is going to drop like a rock in short order. You can find some great deals for slightly older receivers on audiogon (Denon, etc) that have already taken a substantial depreciation hit, and the analog sections will be just as good (if not better) :D

Then when you go and upgrade to separates, you won't kick yourself (like I did) for buying a $1000+ receiver that you get to unload for $500.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I have a denon 5700 that I used for several years before getting into separates. I just set up another HT system in my family room using the 5700 and I must admit that even after listening to the sunfire system this particular Denon does a really nice job. It does not have HDMI but that doesn't bother me as I really think that component is as good IMO. Another Nice thing about this unit is that it can also be used as a pre whenever you get around to buying an amp. I did that for about a year until I could get the pre I was looking for. Anyways I would highly recommend a Denon, not over other choices its just my experience with this unit convinces me that its sound quality is really good for the money. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60