Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default YAMAHA Receiver Line differences??

Can someone help me understand the differences in the new Yamaha lineup of the RX-V663 and the HTR-6160? From Yamaha's web site they look to be the same, price/features most of the info looks like a cut and paste. On the HTR-6160 features page it's listed as 665W (95W x 7) but on the spec page it is listed as 735W (105W x 7). The RX-V is listed the same 665W (95W x 7) on both pages. Not that 10W makes much of a difference, but if the 105W is correct, they are both the same size (dimension and weight) I would think they somehow tweaked that output out of the same amp for a marketing ploy.
    1.Would anyone know what the correct claimed output is on the HTR?
    2.If through biasing a componet differently or tapping the xformer differently , however they are doing it, to reach a higher output. What drawbacks would there be to this?
    These look like something I may want to keep an eye on, maybe pick one up to use later as a pre-pro after some of the new EMO products have been in peoples hands for a while.

Still looking for some help here. Bump

Member Sales Rating: (0)

deleted
    TV Samsung 61" 1080P DLP LED

TV Samsung 50" 1080P DLP
    HD-DVR
    Receiver Yamaha RX-V663
    Fronts 2 Rti 8's
    Surrounds 2 Rti 4's
    Center Csi 3
    Sub Bic H100
    PS3 40GB

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Yamaha Markets to 2 different kind of consumers, those who shop in Big Box Stores like Best Buy and those who don't. Thats why you'll find the same receivers under different numbers in different locations with cosmetic changes. According to Yamaha, it is the same power supplies regardless of what line you purchase.
    Last edited by The Judge; 03-01-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

As the Jugde said, different lines for different markets. Usually the RX-V line has aluminum front panels, the HTR's are plastic, giving a cheaper feel.

As far as the power ratings, the RX-V's are rated 2 channels, from 20hz to 20Khz (full bandwidth), the HTR's are a rated 2 channels at 1Khz only. This gives the HTR's a higher rating, but in reality they are the same. They do this to compete with the other big box brands like Sony, etc., that also rate at 1Khz to inflate the numbers.

Thanks Judge / WM2, I was able to find a page on the Yamaha site that let me do a side by side comparison of the HTR and RX-V lines, the way I was doing it from the product page would not let me do that. The RX uses their "TopArt" design technology, and the HTR comes with an HD radio tuner. Two things that are probably worth nothing to the consumer, but was probably worth a few coin to the marketing exec. So I quess when they hit the streets which ever one that can be had for less is the way to go.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    Thanks Judge / WM2, I was able to find a page on the Yamaha site that let me do a side by side comparison of the HTR and RX-V lines, the way I was doing it from the product page would not let me do that. The RX uses their "TopArt" design technology, and the HTR comes with an HD radio tuner. Two things that are probably worth nothing to the consumer, but was probably worth a few coin to the marketing exec. So I quess when they hit the streets which ever one that can be had for less is the way to go.
    FYI, my recently pulled from service HTR-5790 (similar to RX-V1400) uses TOP ART.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
    FYI, my recently pulled from service HTR-5790 (similar to RX-V1400) uses TOP ART.
    Von, I hope I didn't offend you with my thoughts on TOP ART, maybe you can help me feel better since I just ordered the RX-V663. Did you have any experience with any Yamaha before the 5790? If so do you think it (TOP ART) had any real added value to performance?

I did not buy the 663 because of the TOP ART nor did I stay away from it because of it. I think for the discount I got it for from an authorized dealer that it is a great value AVR and (hope to add an amp soon) will make a killer although slightly limited pre/pro, time will tell. Just Yamaha, like anyone that is in the design, manufacture, and marketing of any product, plays this up to be more than it is. This is based on nothing just pure opinon.

If anyone is interested from some of the posts on this page the discount is still valid as of today.
    http://http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995796&page=16

Thread Information