Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker wire or cable?

I have a Onkyo 805, and probably a Adcom gfa 555, powering RTi 12's as fronts, Monitor 70's as surround sides, a CSi5 as center and a PSW125 as a sub. This sytem should be great as soon as I get my RTi 12's this week, they are being shipped. What wire or cable should I use to hook up the 12's and Monitor 70's. I want to keep it below $200.00 if possible. The prices of these cables are insane. Can I just use good 12 ga wire? Help me out.

I got a 50 foot roll of 14ga speaker wire from Wallmart for 20 bucks. It worked great. that being said lots of people like monoprice.com for speaker wire.

For the money I think Kimber Cable is a great buy; and you always have the option to bi-wire easily. I just repalced my Monster Cable with Kimber and am happy with the change. Monster is decent as well.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Just get something generic for now and worry about upgrading later.

Monster Cable is a waste of money.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I'd follow Doro's advice. Check monoprice.com for cheap cables. If you want to start being a tweakophile, then do your research and make an informed decision.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Keiko, my concern would be that if you use generic cable and screw down banana plugs (like the ones pictured in your link) then you may not get a good connection on the end. Generic cables have much smaller individual strands that may spread out more and the screw from the banana plug may not grab all the strands. In other words, there could be loose strands on the side of the plug screws that do not make a tight connection.

Otherwise, the lower the gauge number of the wire the better. Do not go less than 16 AWG. Theres no point going smaller since you can find this gauge or larger relatively inexpensive. Another concern is the aesthetics of the cable if the run is visible.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Buy 50 ft. of 12ga wire for $20 - $30 for the Monitor 70's. Spend the remainder of your budget on a very nice pair of speaker cables for the 12's. No future upgrading required.

Try any of the Audioquest cables.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (10)

hi, what kind of rca cable is need to connect the Adcom gfa555 II to the onkyo 805 receiver..i just bought the same set up but not sure how to set it up..thanks for your help.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Just generic RCA patch cables.

Thread Information