Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: used equipment

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default used equipment

I saw one of these for sale on a web site.. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

the price seemed reasonable but I don't feel comfortable buying something used off a website.

With sites like amazon and ebay are you safe from being ripped off?

Should I feel comfortable with these sites or am I right to not really trust them.

Member Sales Rating: (60)

Use the search feature on Yamaha's home web site and find authorized dealers. You should be just fine. Ebay and Amazon are "buyer beware". Nothing is 100% but the authorized dealers should take care of you very well.
    2CH - Magnepan MGIIIA's, Rogue Audio Magnum 66 pre, Parasound HCA1200 MKII, Douglas Connection IC's and Cables, Oppo BDP-83SE

Main HT - Adcom GFA7400, Rti70, Csi40, Rti28, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Signal Cable Analog 2 IC's, Mitsubishi 65" DLP, M&K 1250 THX Sub, Knu Koncepts cables

Mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Rti8's, Athena 12" sub

Member Sales Rating: (19)

1st thing, do you like the Yamaha sound? If you don't know what I mean, go listen to a Yamaha then listen to a Denon or Onkyo or other brand. If you like the Yammy sound then nice unit.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by daboyz View Post
    Use the search feature on Yamaha's home web site and find authorized dealers. You should be just fine. Ebay and Amazon are "buyer beware". Nothing is 100% but the authorized dealers should take care of you very well.
    Amazon is not really 'buyer beware' (see below) and has great customer service, but I do agree that it's best to buy new from an authorized dealer (many of the merchants on Amazon are authorized Yamaha dealers). If you buy it used and it breaks 5 days after you get it you won't be covered by a warranty and Yamaha might not want to help you out (nor will Amazon since you did get the product you paid for). Ebay I would never make a big purchase through them.

http://www.amazon.com/Guarantee-Prot...37868&pop-up=1

So I guess you can feel somewhat safe with a cc and amazon. It would be gauranteed to arrive in the condition described. I think if a receiver is going to melt down it would do so in the first 6 months of operation.

As long as the seller has plenty of positive feedback and offers some type of guarantee you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by engtaz View Post
    1st thing, do you like the Yamaha sound? If you don't know what I mean, go listen to a Yamaha then listen to a Denon or Onkyo or other brand. If you like the Yammy sound then nice unit.

engtaz
    You can pretty much ignore the above comment. The Z1 was in a whole other league from lower Yamaha receivers. At the time the Z1 was out it was Yamaha's flagship. The build of this receiver is far different and superior to there lower end models, and did not suffer from the "Yamaha sound". However, just a warning, the remote sucks. Not that I would let that influence your decision. I would just recommend investing in a good universal such as a Harmony or Home Theater Master if you choose to get it.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

So ignore RX-Z1 Natural Sound Home Theater Receiver? Hum That has been their traditional sound for many a year. You should always listen to different Manufacturers to find what sounds good to you.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by engtaz View Post
    So ignore RX-Z1 Natural Sound Home Theater Receiver? Hum That has been their traditional sound for many a year. You should always listen to different Manufacturers to find what sounds good to you.

engtaz
    Are you effin kidding me? "Natural Sound" is nothing but a damn tag line. Sure they claim it means that a top notch piano tuner listens to each design and won't give it the "Natural Sound" designation until he feels it accurately reproduces the notes from his piano. But lets face it....anyone who has ever heard a Yamaha speaker, with that tag on it, knows it's a total load. Either that or their master tuner is deaf.

You missed my point. The Z-1 through superior design and components does not sound like other Yamaha receivers. That receiver will honestly give entry to mid-range separates a run for their money.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

I think he meant ignore the earlier post stating that the Z1 could have the Yammy sound.

Z1's are nice if you can find one in good shape a reasonable price I would say go for it.

But like others have said it is always better to go through an authorized dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Just like the receivers below the RX-V1400 had a Natural Sound that was quite different than the RX-V1400 and up, the Z1 is in a whole different sphere as far as sound quality.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Thread Information