Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Marantz 7001 or cambridge 840A ?

I went to a listen today. Marantz pm-7001 stereo integrated with focal 716v. Very very nice setup.

The marantz is very musical and powerful but I dont know how it compares to the cambridge 840A. I can have the cambridge for 300$ more than the marantz is it worth it ? Any experience with it?

I would like to make a nice stereo setup out of my future LSI 15 or RTI A7.
    I plan to buy the lsi for the living room within 2 weeks and the RTI for the home theater next year.

The LSI will be paired with stereo components, the RTI with a good receiver like Denon or pionner.
    Last edited by polkseller; 03-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Default Marantz

I have the Marantz 7002 and love it. It has all the features and also produces a rich warm sound! Have it hooked up to my set-up now for a week after going through several other receivers! You have already heard the Mrantz and thought it was a very nice set-up, why spend an extra $300 on something you haven't.
    There are two types of people in the world, The Ones that do, and the ones that wish they had! What are you?

MARANTZ 7002
    RTi8'S
    CSi A6
    FXi A4'S
    HSU VTF 3 - MK3 (IT'S HERE)
    PANASONIC 50 IN PLASMA
    PANASONIC DMP-BD30

Because the Cambridge has more power ( 120 watts) and even more to 4 ohms 200 watts to drive the LSI .

So... I really dont know.

I can have the cambridge for 999$ can and the marantz for nearly harf price

Marantz
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room

ok this seem clear for you hockeyboy ! But I see that both you and cantzme have marantz receivers. I'm talking about the Stereo Integrated pm-7001 70w x2.

the only cambridge I eard is the 50 watt and the 80 watts models.. the 50 was not clear, sound muddy and has low definition. The 80 watt model was way better, but still doesnt have the sound of the Integra or even not the definition of the Pioneer 1017 receiver.

So... I really dont know. My listen to the cambridge was not a winner, but I dont know the 840A...

the marantz seems better, but I did not tested it with the polk speakers, just the Focal.
    Last edited by polkseller; 03-13-2008 at 09:38 PM.

I am always to quick to jump on the Marantz bandwagon just because I have a lot of their gear, and it's great.

Marantz pm7001 is pushing 100W into 4 ohms which is the impedance of the LSi 15's you are talking about. I suspect it would drive them nicely since Marantz is usually very conservative on their ratings, although most will tell you to look for at least 200 watts to drive the LSi line so you are potentially borderline.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1647.asp

I can tell you that Marantz has great equipment and tech support. You can hit their website with an email and get a same day response if you have any question.

If you are talking about that 840A Cambridge for only a few hundred more it may be worth it. I love Marantz, but on paper that 840 looks like a lot more clean watts which will definitely help drive your 15's. It does look like the newer version is much more highly rated in reviews.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/series...tle=840+Stereo

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...t840A-conc.pdf

I would also look at Audiogon and see what price your opportunity is vs. what the market is bringing. Maybe a solution is to buy them both and sell one for a small profit to finance the other.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Hard to beat the current Cambridge lineup at it's pricepoint.
    I'm biased, but still a Marantz fan too.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Cambridge actually has great technical support as well, and the 840A is an excellent integrated amp. I've got a chance to pick up an 840A/840C combo soon, and might do it just for the fun of it. For the price, I don't think you would go wrong with the C.A. Of course, I am a little biased.....

BTW, the Marantz is no slouch either.
    Tschüss
    Zach

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I am driving my LSi9's with a Denon integrated PMA-2000IVR.

Before my purchase, I too was trying to decide which integrated to get, the Denon, the Marantz, or the Cambridge Audio. I finally settled on the Denon. The Denon weighs in at 52lbs, the Marantz and the Cambridge Audio each weighs only about 30lbs. You can say my method of choosing amps based on weight is unscientific, but I like my amps to weigh a ton. Weight in the traditional class A/B amp world is a sure sign of quality. That's why I finally chose the Denon over the others.

And this Denon integrated has more than enough power to drive my LSi9's. For casual listening, the volume knob is somewhere between 8 and 9 O'clock. Anything over 10 O'clok will get me kicked out of my apartment.

I just looked at the specs again.

The Marantz weighs 23 lbs.
    The Cambridge Audio weighs 33lbs.
    The Denon weighs 52 lbs.

Although the much more expensive Krell integrated only weighs 33 lbs.

Oh well, it's your choice. But I still think 23 lbs is a bit too light weight for heavy duty use.

Buy the Marantz and the Cambridge and you have a 56 pounder. ROFL I never heard of shopping by the pound.

now that would be reccomending. I have CA640 its a lovely piece of equipment te 840 could only be sweeter i my books. Demo and see which sound u like better. If you go the cheaper route ou at least can take the wifey out for a nice dinner with the extra 300 bucks...then everyone's happy :)
    Chicomorales:)

I can have the marantz even cheaper than what I said...

I'm going to order it and also pick-up a Pioneer 9120 ( elite 91 brother) both for the price of the cambridge only...
    :D

lsi in the living room on the marantz w/o sub.

Polk Rti 7 all over the home cinema with the pioneer 91 and the Mitsu HC1500 projo.

thanks guys
    will get to you soon.
    Last edited by polkseller; 03-20-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Where did you get it for that cheap?

pioneer is in the house ! dull sound for the moment..

see my other post.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

furball, i'll second on the denon, more like a 200 watt amp. i owned this amp for a while, compared it at the time to a krell 300il and sunfire reference(250 watts) amp, preferred the denon. try a tube preamp with it as this is it's weak spot and it will blow you away. i used it with the dodd entry level preamp, replaced mine with a $2500 amp and $3000 tube pre.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyboy View Post
    Buy the Marantz and the Cambridge and you have a 56 pounder. ROFL I never heard of shopping by the pound.
    A nice big transformer is required for currant to drive the speakers at a 4ohm load. Light amps just don't have big fat transformers. I am not a fan of switching, or regulated power supplies. No manufacturer wants to ship extra weight overseas, or locally. While I do not look at just the weight of an amp to decide if it is good. I do have serious doubts if 2 amps are rated at the same power output, and one is 50#, and the other is 30#. When I first started getting into amps I read a bunch of reviews on Sunfire amps, and how great they were. I had an Adcom GFA-585 at the time. Same power rating at 4ohms. 400wpc, but the Sunfire had five channels, ran cooler, and wasn't as heavy. Both drew roughly 15amps max. I had both amps side by side, and was able to switch them over in next to no time. I could easily drive the Sunfire to clipping, and never have I driven an Adcom to clipping. BTW the Adcom kicked the sunfire's butt in SQ too.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

the denon pma-2000 is very expensive and hard to find.

I saw under the pioneer vsx-9120 14 big mosfet-like devices ( mz sap 17 , 7002) fixed by copper screws to heatsink and a very big 650VA transformer with two Nichicon 15000nf caps. Good power for RTI speakers.

what are those mosfet like devices anyway ? 2 per channel only ?
    Last edited by polkseller; 03-25-2008 at 04:36 PM.

I have never been able to drive my Sunfire to clipping. I believe I would go deaf before that occurred it gets so loud in there!
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by polkseller View Post
    the denon pma-2000 is very expensive and hard to find.

I saw under the pioneer vsx-9120 14 big mosfet-like devices ( mz sap 17 , 7002) fixed by copper screws to heatsink and a very big 650VA transformer with two Nichicon 15000nf caps. Good power for RTI speakers.

what are those mosfet like devices anyway ? 2 per channel only ?
    This is pretty typical of most receivers. Which is fine for plenty of people, but is really pretty small in the world of class A/B amplifiers. The Adcom GFA-5300 is only rated at 80wpc 8ohms, and 125wpc at 4ohms. Thats a total of 250watts at 4ohms with 40,000uf, and a slightly smaller transformer. Now the receiver is using it to put out 770 total watts with roughly the same power supply capability. The 6ohm specs are rated at 1% thd at 1khz, and a total of 1050watts. I didn't count this spec do to its overly forgiving frequency/distortion specs. The picture I painted isn't as ugly as it appears, because all channels aren't driven at the same time. I just wanted to share what I have learned in my audio travels, and studying amps.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information